Donating blood

Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
I was wondering if my RA would prevent me from donating blood. I am not anaemic but I do have elevated inflammatory markers. It's something I've always wanted to do.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    princess01 wrote:
    I was wondering if my RA would prevent me from donating blood. I am not anaemic but I do have elevated inflammatory markers. It's something I've always wanted to do.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Princess

I can't remember what medications you are on but I would imagine they would not allow you to donate blood with RA. To be sure you don't have a wasted trip ring up the blood bank before you go and let us know what they say.
    Best wishes

Simona
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    I found this page on the national Blood service site and thought it might be useful for you.

it has a form to send if you want further info, and also a number to ring with any questions.

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

wonky
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Hi. I donated blood for first time this year and got a letter back saying they couldn't use the blood because of raised imflammatory
    markers.
    They want me to go again and just have a blood test to see if the markers have gone down.
    I've been trying to tell my Doctor for years I think I've got RA but because the bloods come back normal they say I haven't so waiting for the next blood donor session. If the markers are raised again it's back to the Doctors with the letter.
    Going by my experience they probably will not let you donate but there is no harm in asking is there.
    Good luck
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I know they stopped me giving blood because I was on an anti-imflamatory, nabumatone...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have never been able to do it thanks to a lifetime of drug taking, in the medical sense. Healthy people only for this one. Which is understandable. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Thank you for all the helpful replies. :) Silly me, I didn't even consider that methotrexate would probably rule me out! Never mind. It's just one of those things, I s'pose. I plan to be an organ donor when the time comes......if they want my organs!!
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Well said Lynn :D

I contacted the Organ Donation and Transplantation Centre some months ago and they were very helpful.... and have since 'signed up' and am on the register. The point about informing family is important.... removes any potential difficulties.

I've posted a link to their website, if anyone wants to find out a bit more about it. The site has a really good section on questions (hundreds of em!) that people might have about donation...

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/Consent.do?campaign=1960

Iris x
  • pepperflo
    pepperflo Member Posts: 91
    I had donated blood since the age of 17, and was heartbroken, when they told me I could no longer donate due to my meds. I'm rhesus negative, so donating my blood was important.
    It is a worthy life saving charity its just a shame we can't be part of it anymore :(
  • Starburst
    I haven't officially signed up for organ donation but my family know my wishes. I have made a strong point of it and hope I will be able to be an organ donor when my time comes.
  • pepperflo
    pepperflo Member Posts: 91
    I too carry an organ donation card, and my family also know what I want to donate, I think it is a great idea esp if we can help others after we have gone x
  • amberring
    amberring Member Posts: 4
    I used to give blood but was stopped from doing so once I went onto steroids for asthma. Such a shame, as they are always short of donors you'd think that with so much technology they would be able to filter out the bits they don't want and keep the good stuff.
  • apple1
    apple1 Member Posts: 2
    encourage you to different companies to post our work.