Bonfire Night

rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 28. Oct 2010, 07:29 in Community Chit-chat archive
Just wondered about Bonfire night, this time of year when we were kids we'd be collecting wood for the bonfires.
This year so far, I've seen no one collecting and heard no fireworks so far.
I'm glad about that of course, I hate fireworks and the bangers are so loud these days.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Ron

they are all over here already banging away at night.

I think i am turning into a grumpy old woman - i am hoping for.....rain :oops:

Love

Toni xx
  • rondetto
    We used to have that for weeks before Bonfire night, I think the kids around here must've grown up, it's been quiet so far this year.
    There's probably another reason too, fireworks are very expensive these days, and I think they only sell them in boxes.
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    I'm not impressed with the firemen striking on Bonfire night.
    Very very cynical of them. :!:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Ron you have been reading my mind, we chopped a tree down a few weeks ago, there it is in the front garden, we are still waiting for the kids collecting fire wood....not had one knock at the door.
    Think we had better have one :roll: :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Maybe they have grown up then Ron? and Daylily I missed thsi bit of news in the wilds of Cornwall...

Barbara - you can stick that letter on your bonfire :x

Love

toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    frogmorton wrote:
    Maybe they have grown up then Ron? and Daylily I missed thsi bit of news in the wilds of Cornwall...

Barbara - you can stick that letter on your bonfire :x

Love

toni xx
    Oh Yeah :):)
    Love
    Barbara
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    We've had odd sessions of fireworks for about a week now. They haven't been very close, so not bothered too much.

I find them too noisy when they close, they make the building shake and shatter my eardrums.....like the rockets, though.

Annie
  • rondetto
    I feel sorry for all the animals, they must be really scared of all the noise.
  • grampyal
    grampyal Member Posts: 81
    Hi all,
    What a lovely grumpy topic. What a chance for a 1000% tax. Its strange but the most fireworks seem to come from the "poorer" areas of the town where you would not expect people to have so much money to burn. I'm glad that the modern kids are too lazy to collect for bonfires as they did a lot of damage in the past by hacking down trees. Talking of trees if Barbara can deliver I've got a woodburner. A week or so back some men were cutting branches from around telephone wires here. I asked if they had any burnable size logs and was offered a tree. Took the old Range Rover down but only got about half in the back. Some logs were 2ft diameter so I'm still cutting it up. Serves me right.
    Al
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    rondetto wrote:

Have to dope my two cats up for around a week at Bonfire time.. Like they're not bleeding stupid enoug has it is.. LOL

I like it in this room, everybody's moaning about kids, my kinda moan, lol.... Bloody kids, why do they have to exist... :lol:

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    rehab44 wrote:
    Oh dear, oh dear!!! This old chestnut gets resurrected each year along with putting the clocks back :D

C'est la vie, Rehab :!: :D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    tjt6768 wrote:
    rondetto wrote:

Have to dope my two cats up for around a week at Bonfire time.. Like they're not bleeding stupid enoug has it is.. LOL

I like it in this room, everybody's moaning about kids, my kinda moan, lol.... Bloody kids, why do they have to exist... :lol:

Tony

WhOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOsh!!!!!!
    This is a light hearted thread / post ...I understand!!!!! but I feel the same about cats.......would never hurt one ..or put one in a bin! but I don't get them!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    It's blasted Hallowe'en first. If the child who knocks on my door can tell me why they are doing what they are doing then fine, have a sweetie. If they can't (and surprise, surprise, they can't), no reward.

Oh yes, the rockets are already going off in the grounds of the flats opposite. People still have money to burn! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    When they come trick or treating I give them an apple. It's good for them and they usually don't come back :!:
    Buy a big bag from supermarket ready for them :)
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    It has been quiet here too and we live nearish to Southall and usualy Divali has kicked off by now.

I hate halloween and I am praying for rain.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Elizabeth
    they are both on the same day this year so hopefully it will be over in one night and not last a week as usual.
    Sharon xx
  • rondetto
    Correct me if I'm wrong, is that the festival of light?