oa caused by lazyness says physio!

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 2. Nov 2010, 09:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I've not been on for a while as I've been recovering from a particularly unpleasant vist to the physio. A young lad, certainly no older than 30 was so rude and unsupporting that I am seriously considering making an offical complaint. He sat me down and in a voice loud enough for the other patients and therapists to hear, told me that I had nothing wrong with me, apart from oa brought on because I didn't do enough work and didn't have a job. This he told everyone was due to the fact that I sat and watched TV all day!!! :x He said he if this were not the case then the multipule xrays, mri's, blood tests and physio would work. He said that I was on the cusp of becomeing unable to do anything as my joints became set in a bad posture position, which was responsible for all the problems I have. OA is nothing more than getting lazy as we get older!!! :x I wasn't examined or looked at until I said i'd better just go, if he felt like that. Then all he did was look at me upper body standing, force it into the 'proper' position and tell me to do this 100 times a day for a month and come back . I insisted that I tell him my history of how I'd recovered using physio exerices and gym referral but on going back to work, became ill again and my gp signed me off and works doctor had given me a full pension but, refused to redeploy me as I was unsafe to work in any capacity. Today I am in pain from the position he forced my body into unsure if I'm doing the exoercises properly and feel, afte he read my consultants reports out loud to the owhold rom along with a list of my medication I feel like either I'm mentally ill and an attenion seeker or just a waste of space lazy and work shy. Sorry to rant, just feel so awful husband wants me to comeplain but I'm going to see my GP. Love Sue :(:(

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Sue they guy's a plank! So I had oa in my teens cus I was lazy then?!! Where the hell did he get all this from?

Agreeing wholeheartedly with your oh and complain, I mean gun him in to the ground for so many reasons...... Confidentiality issues, knowledge issues and his ability to do his job issues! I don't find complaining easy but for him I would make a huge exception!

You do know its not right and he is a word that would be deleted don't you? Sue don't let him take what confidence you had back from you as well and just complain big time cus that guy shouldn't be allowed to do this!

Sending you a ton of words for your complaint (I'll even do it for you! :wink: ) and a ((((( ))))) Luv Cris xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Sue
    Please put in a complaint, then this horrible person doesn't put anyone else through this.
    I have OA in multiple joints, I have been going to the gym for over 30 yrs, and was training to be a fitness instructor.
    I have also come across this from young physios that seem to think we just sit about doing nothing, it makes my blood boil to say the least.
    I do hope you get some proper help, and don't have to go this again.
    Sorry but I had better stop before I say something I shouldn't.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Sue

I am so shiocked by his unprofessional and improper manner. I am sure he will have breached confidentiality rules.

The other pateints will be frightenend that they could get the same treatment i doubt any of them thought you were a skiver.

Sue it's friday and i think you need to write everything down today and then put it away and have a good weekend with your husband.

If you feel still so angry then monday is the day to relook at the letter and see if it should be sent.

As for not coming on here I am sad you have been too upset to even do that :(

Huge hugs Sue

Love

toni xx :x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    You HAVE to complain...this jerk at the very least needs a dressing down and lessons on how to speak to patients as human beings
    If you are unsure on how to do it – get your husband to sit down and work out what you want to say and write it down,
    if you can’t work out what to say just add a copy of this post with a note saying this is not acceptable behaviour for a professional and that you are upset to be treated like this by somebody who should be trying to help you when you are vulnerable
    Send it to the chief exec at hospital where you have physio (you can find their details on the trust website) and copy it in to your GP
    I know how difficult it can be to complain but this is not an acceptable way to treat people and you can bet you are not the only one whose been on the sharp end of his tongue.
    Over the years I have complained about a GP and a consultant, both for completely unacceptable behaviour it was difficult especially when I refused to go back to the consultant and got a new one whose office was right next to the old one, so I often bump into him. But everybody agreed that I did the right thing.... these damn diseases are hard enough to cope with without the people who are supposed to be helping you behaving like prats.
    Please consider it, good luck and I hope that you feel a bit better soon
    Chrissie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Thank you both for the kind words. I know I ought to complain and I would tell anyone else to because its right for me and right that if he's going to do his job, he should learn. I keep thinking did I take it the wrong way? Did the fact that he was so young effect the way I took what he said? Today, after the posture training, I am finding it painful to breath as the muscles across my chest seem pulled. Its all a bit worrying really. Is that how I'm seen by the medics? Idon't think so.
    Love Sue :(
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Sue.
    you report him thats wrong how does he know about you if hes not read your notes.
    i think he has been learning some thing else not about arther.
    you never know in a few years he might know what arther is he will have it. take care and dont worry.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    [quote=" Its all a bit worrying really. Is that how I'm seen by the medics? Idon't think so.
    Love Sue :([/quote]

I dont think so either Sue.

You have to rest now and start the exercises gently at first when you have recovered from yesterday eh?

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 29. Oct 2010, 10:25
    I would think twice, if not more, before doing his 'exercises': God knows what further damage you could be doing to yourself. He sounds a complete oaf. Report him, you have no choice. This is scandalous. There are cases of absolute fantasists passing themselves off as doctors and dentists etc - this does not sound right at all. Report him. Of course your doctors do not see you like that: this lad is an incompetent fool. Report him. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    What an Acehole.I read recently that one theory going around now is that too much exercise causes OA. Especially in middle age.That "%*&"%%$£ definitely needs sorting :x :x :x :x :x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    woodbon wrote:
    . I keep thinking did I take it the wrong way? Did the fact that he was so young effect the way I took what he said?

The fact is that he obviously upset you - this is wrong and not good enough. I doubt you took what he said the wrong way, but if you did he at least needs to learn how to say it without causing offence or upsetting people of any age.
    Chrissie
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    tonesp wrote:
    What an Acehole.I read recently that one theory going around now is that too much exercise causes OA. Especially in middle age.That "%*&"%%$£ definitely needs sorting :x :x :x :x :x
    Tone this is what I am starting to think, I am not only person I know that has arhtur after years of exercise.
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    Where on earth do these guys do their training :?:
    You have to complain. Go to the Pals office in the hospital and they will help you set out your complaint or if it was a physio centre then write to your Local Health Authority.
    He could do someone some serious damage one day cos we are all a bit fragile at times and no one has the right to speak to anybody like that let alone someone who is in a great deal of pain constantly.

Take care and 'go get him'
  • daylily
    daylily Member Posts: 619
    I feel like punching his lights out and I'm a pacifist :!:
    :x :x :x :x
  • alarkra
    alarkra Member Posts: 213
    Sue, he sounds utterly ghastly. I would most definitely file a complaint and word it along the lines that his tone and attitude didn't seem all that encouraging and that he had disregard for you and didn't appear to care about your history. That way you are wording it in a way that conveys what you feel about how he was with you, without actually saying that he was totally useless as this may be the kick up the rear he needs to get his act together! I would also request to see a different physiotherapist next time (maybe request a female if you think that would help?)

I personally CANNOT STAND IT when people have the teflon shoulder approach to important things and cannot be bothered to their job properly. It takes just one person to make a complaint to a superior of theirs and this can often help the person wrong right as in my experience, people just aren't told that their attitude/approach is incorrect and so assume that it's OK to keep on going as they are.

He could have just been having a bad day, but this doesn't excuse his behavour!! :oops:

Let us know what you decide to do and if anything comes of it. ((HUGS))
  • alarkra
    cthornley wrote:
    woodbon wrote:
    . I keep thinking did I take it the wrong way? Did the fact that he was so young effect the way I took what he said?

The fact is that he obviously upset you - this is wrong and not good enough. I doubt you took what he said the wrong way, but if you did he at least needs to learn how to say it without causing offence or upsetting people of any age.
    Chrissie

Oh and if anything, I agree that he needs a big lesson in TACT. Dumbass... we are all cross for you Sue! :x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Sue

You must report him. He cannot be allowed to treat patients in this way. You should not analyse too much, you heard what he said quite clearly as apparently did everyone else and it was an awful way to go about things and he was talking nonsense. How do these kind of people get to where they are, is beyond me. You are not seen like that at all by the medics and he should not be let loose with patients if that is how he goes about "helping" them.

I am so sorry that this happened to you.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Hello Sue,
    I agree with everyone else, you should definitely complain. I have just complained about a consultant. I also sent a copy to my GP and PALS just to cover myself. At the moment it is being investigated, the lady who rang me to discuss it was very nice and at no point did she make me feel that I shouldn't have complained or that I was overreacting, in fact completely the opposite, she said they can't do anything about these sort of problems if they don't know about them. I did wonder if I should complain in the beginning but after talking to people I decided it was the right thing to do and I'm glad I did. These people need to be made to realise that they can't treat people like that and get away with it. As someone else said, when you're in a lot of pain, sometimes constantly the last thing you need is something to make your life even harder. I wish you well and hope you get the problem sorted.

Sue x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Sue

I'm sorry to hear this.

But it doesnt surprise me, cos last year,
    exactly the same thing happened to me, only it was
    a female phsyco - physio :roll:
    She was young, looked like she was on something, totally
    over exhuberant , she treat me like a 30yr old rugby
    player, pumelling away at my back and pressing down on my shoulders with all her weight/

I went faint and sick whilst in there and told her to stop.

I did phone the physio department and asked to speak to the senior physio, I told her what had happened and she was horrified.
    So hopefully the young woman got a telling off. I didnt take it further, i.e. PALS, but I feel I should have to prevent others going thru the same torment.

For days it made me ill and actually do believe it made me worse.
    It felt like I had been physically attacked and at my age I cant be doing with that. She obviously hadnt read my notes at all or she would have noted that I have a fractured bone in my spine along with 2 slipped discs, it took a while to recover.

So just cos they have read the text books - a physiotherapist it does not make.

I actually thought she could be one of the cleaners having a go at another line in hospital jobs. :roll: :roll:

Seriously, I hope you feel better soon Sue

Love Kath
  • alarkra
    Kath - it sounds like you had a horrific time! We put trust in these people and for them to have disregard of you like that is completely unacceptable.

However, I feel that I must say that for my hydrotherapy sessions that I've had over the past few weeks, I have had a student look after me. There of course was a fully qualified physio there to oversee her and if she needed any support if necessary, neither of which she needed. However, I was actually extremely impressed with how she has been with me because she was extremely knowledgeable on the subject - this is her first and only 6 week placement in a hydrotherapy unit - and I felt that she completely understood my needs and had a comprehensive understanding of what my RA meant and which exercises etc were appropriate. At only 20 years old, she was wonderful. It's just a shame that some of the other young physios have started to tar the younger therapists with the same brush. They should be ashamed of themselves.. :roll:
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Sue,

I can only agree with what the others have said. To be humiliated in front of people is a disgrace. It is right that unless they know what is going on they cannot rectify the situation. The head of department will be horrified that this going on.

Lv, Ix
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Sue - that is APPALLING!!! The whole appointment sounds awful. His judgement of you, his personal theories on OA, his rude and unconfidential treatment of you ... is lack of interest to take a proper case history ....

You really do have to complain. He cannot be allowed to continue treating people this way.

Funny then that a lot of sports people and athletes get OA ... oh unless they are lazy ones of course ...

I'm incensed.

You should also request another physio. Preferably one who is interested in people who have arther and like yourself are keen to improve their condition as much as possible by attending physio.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    omg he sounds like a complete ******!! how rude! i couldn't agree more with what everyone else has said, he shouldn't be able to treat people that way and get away with it. not to mention speaking out in front of others, what about patient confidentiality. whether you think you took him the wrong way or not, he has upset you (and us) and thats not right. i wish i was there with you, i would have told him a few things!

oa isnt laziness in the slightest. im 32! ive grown up active, doing keep fit classes, eating well, cycling and walking and have never had a health complaint. if its 'laziness as we get older', where the hell do i fit in??

stoopid stoopid man and i feel ashamed for him, he shouldn't be let out to interact with other humans.....
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    The others have said it all for me, Sue.........he shouldn't be allowed out on his own!

I've never had anything but good from physio treatments and this horrifies me.

I really think you should complain....you have good grounds for doing so.

Annie
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Hi Sue

You need to complain, otherwise he gets away with it and he needs to learn a lesson.

It is important that you write down what happened, what he did and what he said.

Then in your letter identify how it made you feel and also how the treatment made your body feel.

Then send a letter to pals at the hospital (patient liason service - look up address on hospital website) and then also take a copy to your GP. I know it takes all your energy to do this, but it is important that he is brought down a few notches.

Take care

Fayann xxx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    So sorry Sue about how you have been treated , if your still struggling go see your Dr and explain to him what happened has the stupid one could have done you damage , also has been said report him to the physio department , there are to many issues involved not to , take care and be gentle with your self x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx