Meditation

joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 29. Oct 2010, 11:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I posted this a while ago, and some people have asked me to post it again as they found it helpful.
...........................................................................................................

I have been trying meditation as a way of combatting pain, stress and tiredness. I have found this a beneficial exercise, so I thought I would post it for anyone else who would like to try it. It need only take 5 minutes, but you can build it up to longer ( preferably 15 to 30 minutes a day, 4 or 5 times a week) So don't just do something--- sit there!!

Begin by finding a quiet spot where you will not be disturbed.

Take the phone off the hook.

Turn off your mobile phone, radio, and television, as well as any unnecessary electrical equipment in the area immediately surrounding where you will be meditating.

Sit or lay down in a comfortable position. This could be in an arm chair with back straight, feet flat on the ground, and hands resting on thighs with palms flat. If you choose to lay down, this can be either on the ground with feet shoulder width apart, back straight and hands resting gently to the sides, or on a bed in the same position.

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath, hold it in and tense up every muscle you can. Exhale and release the tension.

Repeat this twice more, making three breath/tensions in total.

Visualize your muscles becoming relaxed and saturated with a brilliant, white light.

Start at your toes and work your way up to the top of your head, pay particular attention to the shoulders, jaw and facial area, and any other area that may be causing you particular concern. All the while taking gentle, deep breaths.

If you hear sounds such as cars passing by, people talking, dogs barking etc. Just let these sounds pass over you. Do not judge these sounds, simply allow them to occur and fade away, all the while taking gentle deep breaths.

When you feel sufficiently relaxed, draw your attention to your chest area, and visualize a tiny ball of light that rests half inside and half outside the center of your chest.

This ball of light can be any colour that feels comfortable to you. The ball of light starts out tiny, but expands gradually with every inhalation and every exhalation.

Continue to visualize for this meditation so that the ball grows larger and larger, all the while producing a greater feeling of loving peace and calm.

Allow the ball of light to grow as large as you feel comfortable with.

This ball is a ball of healing love-energy. Allow the ball to move to wherever you need healing in your body.

You can direct the ball or allow it to move by itself. If you have a loved one that needs healing or love, who may be emotionally troubled, you can send this ball of love-energy to this person in your mind.

Visualize the ball leaving the room and travelling to the person in need. Or you can allow the ball to leave of its own accord, it will travel to someone who needs your love-energy. Or you can simply reabsorb the ball back into your body.

When you feel that the meditation has finished, gradually and gently bring your attention back to your surroundings, and slowly open your eyes.

Do a few stretches after meditation and just chill and relax for a few minutes before moving on with day to day things.

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Joan
    Thank you for this, I will certainly give it a go, I did try it years ago, but I didn't persevere with it, and like you say that is the key.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, The meditaion you use is the same that I was taught by my old Oxford GP, who ran a group in Oxford for patients with pain and anxiety issues. I'd been suffering from migranes. It didn't help the headaches, but it did make me more relaxed and when a migraine comes on it can give me a small break. I can seperate me from the pain, which sounds mad, but it gave a short break. I use it now and it helps it helps a bit, but its no cure, but nothing is for arthritic pain! My headaches are treated now with very effective medication if I catch them as they start, so I've found something for that bit! :roll:

I think lots of things put together help me but, I wish we had just one really good treatment!!!! :wink: I'd try most things once!
    Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Joan,

Ball of light are good things..... that's a bit like the one they use for the ac courses but some of us have been doing it for s long we just go :wink: Music can be helpful as well :lol::lol:

Its good stuff but I still think the woods and the box are the best ones for people to see if they can do to begin with.

Magic carpets, doorways, windows what ever works for going off somewhere and keep trying cus sooner of later its subconscious :lol::lol:

Purs to Tommy and a ((( ))) for you.Cris xx
  • joanlawson
    barbara12 wrote:
    Joan
    Thank you for this, I will certainly give it a go, I did try it years ago, but I didn't persevere with it, and like you say that is the key.
    Love
    Barbara x

Hi Barbara

I was very sceptical about this in the beginning, but now I find it heplful. You do need to persevere though as it takes practice to feel any benefits.
  • joanlawson
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, The meditaion you use is the same that I was taught by my old Oxford GP, who ran a group in Oxford for patients with pain and anxiety issues. I'd been suffering from migranes. It didn't help the headaches, but it did make me more relaxed and when a migraine comes on it can give me a small break. I can seperate me from the pain, which sounds mad, but it gave a short break. I use it now and it helps it helps a bit, but its no cure, but nothing is for arthritic pain! My headaches are treated now with very effective medication if I catch them as they start, so I've found something for that bit! :roll:

I think lots of things put together help me but, I wish we had just one really good treatment!!!! :wink: I'd try most things once!
    Love Sue

Hi Sue

As you say, meditation isn't a cure, but the idea is to quieten the mind, which in it's turn can help to quieten the body. The best thing is that it is free, you don't need to see a doctor to obtain it, and the only side effect is that you might occasionally fall asleep. :D
  • joanlawson
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Joan,

Ball of light are good things..... that's a bit like the one they use for the ac courses but some of us have been doing it for s long we just go :wink: Music can be helpful as well :lol::lol:

Its good stuff but I still think the woods and the box are the best ones for people to see if they can do to begin with.

Magic carpets, doorways, windows what ever works for going off somewhere and keep trying cus sooner of later its subconscious :lol::lol:

Purs to Tommy and a ((( ))) for you.Cris xx

Hi Cris

I agree with you about music being helpful. I think everyone has to find something which is right for them. The box and the woods didn't do too much for me, but the ball of light does. I've also tried thinking about floating through space, which is similar to the magic carpet idea.

Purrs from Tommy to you and all your feline ( and other ) friends (((((( )))))))

Joan
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Joan, I use meditation when I can't relax my muscles in bed and found it very helpful when I was "locked into my pain" before my op. I enjoyed reading your ball of light visualisation.

Barbara - I use guided meditations - I started with chillradio podcasts - they last 10 mins and can be downloaded/listened to online http://www.creationpodcasts.com/index.php?cat=chillmeditationpodcast Since using these I have been given others by a friend of mine too, which work for me. The short ones are good to start with.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.