They don't emphasise enough the importance of time

speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 1. Nov 2010, 14:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

(I had a hip op in May.)
I went for a walk this afternoon with S, and noticed a real improvement with my walking - especially ease and speed, first time in awhile. Haven't been doing anything different and in fact haven't even been doing physio due to half term (though don't condone that and will get back into doing it again.) Just goes to show how important time is in the healing and rehab process and to say I don't think this is emphasised enough by the medics. Just doing daily living stuff and gradually doing more as and when you feel fit really seems to work and the progress seems to take care of itself!

Speedy
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    that so true of many things to do with arther glad it going well for you val
    val
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Excellent advice Speedy - I think sometimes we're all in too much of a hurry and expect too much too soon from our bods. Glad you enjoyed your walk.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Speedy
    I am so glad you are now really feeling the benefit of your op, what a difference it must make.
    You keep up the good work.
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Hi Val and Legs, remind me of my own wisdom next time I get impatient and forget it!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Hi Barbara, it does make a massive difference, but sometimes I forget to focus on the positive and get bogged down with what I can't (yet) do ...

Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Speedy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi Speedy
    I'm glad its worked out so well for you and that you have been so good keeping your physio going

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Speedy

So pleased to hear you are getting along so well. I must say that my consultant did emphasise how long it took to get over a TKR - which was upto 18 months. For me both times it has taken about 9 months to no longer give it a second thought. We are all different.

The same consultant said stay in hospital as long as possible, you need all the rest you can get and here you have nothing to worry about except getting well. Wise words indeed :) I left a day earlier than he wished me to do so, that is why he said it. :)

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Very true Speedy...I really think it does take 6 months for the tissues and joint to settle down properly..and you can't really hurry it..

BW

Marion
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Hi Speedy I am so glad that you are so much better.I had my op just 5 weeks ago and I can't believe the difference that it has made to my life No more painkillers very little pain nights sleep.I am still using 2 crutches to go out but managing with 1 round the house.Could you tell me what physio you do?One thing lacking here in Spain is good aftercare Once you're out you seem to be on your own. I do a few muscle builing exercises but don't know if I'm right
  • speedalong
    Hi Elna, once again just goes to show how different each ortho is.

Thanks Hileena for your continued support.

Marion, we must be between 5 1/2 and 6 months post op now?

Tonysp - the exercises I am doing now and are different to the ones I was doing closer to my op. Here is a link of the ones my physio set me at the point you are now.

http://www.hipsforyou.com/exercisespostop.php

Access to physio is very varied in this country, some get it automatically, some have to self refer (me) and some don't seem to get any at all....

Speedy
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi speedy

glad to read you are doing well with your walking, It probably seems to have taken ages but you have got there in the end. I am so pleased for you. (new name ROCKET now you are moving so well) :lol:

take care
    juliepf x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, It must be so nice to be able to notice an improvement, it makes everything so much more worthwhile! :wink: Love Sue