sulpha and bleeding

lucy145
lucy145 Member Posts: 90
edited 31. Oct 2010, 15:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, is anyone just on sulpha? ive been on it nearly 5wks,just cut myself and it wont stop bleeding,i often do this and its never been a problem before,maybe just a coincidence but wondering if anyone else has had the same,thank you :) xx

Comments

• cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lucy where have you cut yourself?
    On sulpha doesnt affect me that way so far as I have noticed!
    if its your hand hold it higher than your heart as a first precaution.
    Is it bad, is it deep?
    If you are losing lots of blood best to get help!
    Good luck!
  • lucy145
    hi cebeem

thanks for replying, i cut my leg shaving :oops: its slowing down now and got it raised up on the sofa,its been bleeding nearly an hour and a half, i often cut my legs but its never bled like that before,will mention it when i go see the dr, it may be just a coincidence, how long have you been on the sulpha? ive had no side effects so far from it have you?

thanks again, love lucy xx
  • cebeem
    my legs do do that sometimes think its the nature of the thin skin etc.
    put a wet cold cover on it too and hold it tight, i'm sure it will settle soon keep it up!

Been on sulpha many years no real side effects that I can connect with it .....stomach probs but I think that was due to diclofenic until they gave me stomach protector.

The side effects look scary in the leaflets as with all meds, sulpha doesnt seem to help my pain yet I think it has helped the disease progressing rapidly.

hows the leg doing?
  • lucy145
    hi

its slowing down now :) and have done what you suggested thanks,maybe its as you said with the skin being thin there,i often do it and it always bleeds a bit but not like that but it is slowing down now luckily :)

i havent been on sulpha very long yet but it hasnt started working yet but its still early days, the consultant told me it doesnt help with the pain but should help stiffness and erosions and to carry on with the NSAIDS, i heard diclofenic can cause stomach problems but its good you have got a stomach protector,makes you wonder what these drugs do to our insides doesnt it but we havent a lot of choice but to take them, do you have RA?
  • cebeem
    Mine was diagnosed originally as sero negative A more recently I have developed psoriasis and therefore the diagnosis now is asymmetrical psoriatic arthritis, and I think the sulph at a higher dose helps with that too......but following the stomach probs I cant manage the full dose more than 3 times per week the rest of the time can only manage 1000mg per day.waiting for surgery on my knuckles on the right hand, then dont know if things may be reduced....although with the psoriasis I may have to continue with it.
    Next suggestion is MTX but not sure about it!

lovely to speak to you!
    Hope the leg eases soon!
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Lucy,

I'm on sulpha for RA. Can't say I've ever had your problem - don't think I've had a cut since starting sulpha, but if I have my bloods done I don't have a problem with continual bleeding.

I hope you get some good results from the sulpha soon - it has been a good med for me.

Lois x
  • lucy145
    hi wibberley, thanks for your msg, glad the sulpha works for you,hoping it will kick in for me soon but know it can take upto 12wks,got told its the safer drug to start on and that its works for a lot of people so am trying to be positive even tho i was really scared of it to start with, gotta have bloods done tuesday so will see if i bleed loads then,should be ok it was probably where i cut myself.

hi cebeem, ive heard you can get the psorisis after you develop PA,sorry to hear you are waiting for surgery but hopefully you will be able to stop the sulpha after,and its good its helping with your skin too,ive also got psorisis but very mild but have got seropositve RA,so not sure if more meds will be mixed in when i next go see the consultant but mtx sounds really scary so not so sure about that one yet.

lucy xx
  • cebeem
    Yes Lucy I was told 12 weeks before you notice a difference...the main thing that recovered then was the tiredness....I felt I had more energy, although it doesnt take much to wear me out.....I need to balance activity with rest to keep a happy medium.

Apparently the ' negative' is due to markers in the blood not being present for RA, but that can change.

You will probably get some marked relief after the given time....you sound positive about it.
    glad the cut has recovered!!! :)