Can no longer give blood

tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 31. Oct 2010, 17:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was a regular blood donor for a few years and only through being ill, laid up etc etc I haven't been for almost two years.. I ws actually surprised when I was allowed to donate, I was on 8 paracetamol a day, 3 Nabumatone 500mg a day and over 340mg of Dihydrocodiene a day... I was totally honest with them and this was ok, I did however get turned down as a marrow donor though because of the Nab.. It's an anti-inflamatory, good job I told them 'cos they dint know what it was?!! I had gone through all the full interview proccess and they would have let me start donating marrow, it's only 'cos one of them made an off-hand comment- "lucky nobody here is on anti-inflamatories"... Good job I heard them..
All the above meds were for the OA in my spine and knees which I had had for several years..
In March I was diagnosed with sero-negative Athur, a type of Rheumatoid, and was started on Hydroxycloroquine.. Today I actually got round to ringing to arrange to donate and because I am on that particular medication I can't give blood.. (all my other meds have been changed too, now on tramadol, diclofenac ad paracetamol) I was quite shocked, I honestly thought that if anything would stop me the Dihydrocodiene would.. The nurse I spoke to said that obviously my RA is bad as I am on these tablets as well..? Don't they just give you them to halt the disease? Or do they only give it when it is bad? I am not getting myself worried about it or anything, I just wondered.. I only have it in my wrists and it only started this year, I mean, it has got very painful in quite a short space of time..
Just wondered if any of you have any views on things...?

Tony
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tone

they retired me as i kept fainting before all this malarky started :oops:

Dreadfully embarrassing being retired in your thirties :oops:

Tone I am on hydroxy and dont you be worrying we are on one of the mildest DMARDs to prevent damage, not necessarily because our disease is rife.

I will let the more experienced people fill you in better

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    There is a recent thread about this on the chat to the helpline forum. I have never been able to donate blood thanks to a lifetime of crappy health and foul meds, and I have a rare blood group. I can fully understand why they don't want my claret! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    The only good thing about my blood is that it's the right colour!

You have to be careful with autoimmune conditions as your antibodies in your blood will attack the recipient. In my case my antibodies would destroy their blood so I'm definitely not allowed to donate any more.
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    This is a very interesting thread for me to read as I was wondering a few days ago if I would be able to donate blood.

I have a very rare blood type and feel that I really ought to donate if permitted however I am on the hydroxy amongst other stuff so it'll be a no then.

I have asked my Rheumy and GP if there is a link with rare blood types and all this arthritic and lupus tat and they said no.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else on here has rare blood type - I noticed DreamDaisy is rare ..... well, I knew DD is a one-off anyway haha :lol: (in a good way, I promise!).
    Carol
  • tjt6768
    Thanks for all your posts, I did upset me a bit finding out I couldn't give blood, I never started doing it until I was 40 two yrs ago, I should have been doing it long before now.. Never mind eh..? Lol

I was also 'retired' in my 30's through Arthur, he'd such a sh1t eh??
    It's really bad when you lterally can't remember your last pain free day...

I will check what blood type I am tomorrow, my wallet is in my jeans and it's about a foot out of reach, I'm under the duvet and staying there 'cos it's bloody cold!! :shock: :shock:

Tony :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Toni,

Oh you kinda worried me there cus I gave blood on those pills.... I hope I never gave someone something. I kinda know I did get something (possibly) from a transfusion I had in '88....

I had trouble giving it and had to literally pump it out, then I went on the iloprost and hat was it. Now it certainly would be :wink:

I also go thrown off the bone marrow list cus f the potential danger to my spine...... So many things to think about eh? You take care Cris x
  • tjt6768
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Toni,

Oh you kinda worried me there cus I gave blood on those pills.... I hope I never gave someone something. I kinda know I did get something (possibly) from a transfusion I had in '88....

I had trouble giving it and had to literally pump it out, then I went on the iloprost and hat was it. Now it certainly would be :wink:

I also go thrown off the bone marrow list cus f the potential danger to my spine...... So many things to think about eh? You take care Cris x

Hi Cris, hopefully you're in the clear for things.. I am surprised you were allowed though, unless it's a recent change..?
    When was it that you gave blood?

I couldn't believe that I went through the whole process for the bone marrow donor thing, I told them exactly what I was on, including Nabumatone, they said I had the all clear to go... Good job that I know what my tablets are eh?? Like I said before, it was only because one of them said something about anti-inflamatories that made me think, hang on a minute... Derrrr.. Lol

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    I too have been stopped from giving blood, which upset me quite a lot if I'm honest. I was told that although there has never been anything found in my blood to indicate inflammation, etc, they weren't prepared to take the risk, even though it now looks likely that I have early onset osteo. I am considering contacting them actually to see if they will reconsider now it is a couple more years down the line.
    Regards,
    Josie
  • tjt6768
    josiec wrote:
    I too have been stopped from giving blood, which upset me quite a lot if I'm honest. I was told that although there has never been anything found in my blood to indicate inflammation, etc, they weren't prepared to take the risk, even though it now looks likely that I have early onset osteo. I am considering contacting them actually to see if they will reconsider now it is a couple more years down the line.
    Regards,
    Josie

Good luck Josie, out of interest were you on ay meds then/are you now, if you don't mind me asking, what are/were they...

Let us know if you do get in touch and what they say..

Cheers

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP