Perching Stools

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
edited 1. Nov 2010, 20:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Lynn :D

I don't have a perching stool yet... but I'm being 'assessed' at home by an OT in a couple of weeks... and the assessment is to include a perching stool!

I assumed that the height of the stool would be adjustable... :?: 'cause we are all of different proportions... 'lickle legs' like you (loved your description) and longer legs too. :lol::lol: I have a shower stool that has adjustable legs and just assumed the perching stool would be the same....

I'm sure there'll be lots of peeps answering your post... so I'll be interested too in what others say!

hope you've got sun today!

Iris xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lynn

no wobbling off eh?!! I am 5 foot 2 and a half with eczema on me b*m :wink:

I manged ok on one with ma back a while ago and in fact swore by it.

Thing is you can't use them by the work surfaces as you can't get that close anyway...you can STAND nearer? makes sense? Good for ironing and I used to get a bowl on the edge on the surface for peeling veggies as that takes time...

Very good for ironing too.

They do however they DO take up space...

My conclusion? I would give it a go and see how you get on. I must say it was a total blessing when my back was bad - just took the edge off if you know what i mean.

He he! arm extensions :lol:n045.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Hi Lynn,

We have a perching stool but I found it most treacherous in the kitchen :shock: As Toni says they have splayed legs and after having tripped over the legs a couple of times it was banished to the bathroom! However we're most fortunate in having a very large bathroom (Victorian terraced house where the bathroom was once the third bedroom) Now I know exactly where the little b****r is in relation to my feet it works a treat and is quite invaluable :D

Ours was "ordered up" by OT along with raised feet for beds,chairs etc, grab rails everywhere, ortho loo "perch" and extra bannister rail. Perhaps OT would let you have a "trial run" to see how you get on as they're not cheap and it would be a pity to discard it.

Love Cherry x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Got my perching stool a few years ago from my OT and it's a godsend .It has height adjustable legs so will suit your stature ok . Useful in the bathroom too for teeth cleaning etc ! Jilly
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    My mother had one and she found it invaluable. It also helped her push herself up with her arms as she had no strength in her legs (they have arms on them.) I use a stool from a well known Swedish store :) . I use when preparing food, chopping and cooking. Very good if you have to stir things for a while, like a risotto. Try it. If you don't like it, send it back!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I've known people use them, when I was a care assistant. Most of ours came from OT and had adjustable legs, most people seemed to get on with them. I don't think I'd spend any money on anything without trying it out at home for a while to see how you get on useing it, also, be careful you don't trip over it, I've done that quite a bit!!! :oops: I hope you find something that helps. Love Sue xxx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    I have one in kitchen and one for bathroom , supplied by OT and set at correct height using adjustable legs (like on crutches etc..) I use mine for ironing, although I also can use my carver/dining chair as that is on raisers and is more comfortable.
    Have you tried asking OT?
    NB
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Lynn, definitely ask for one via OT - then you can have a long term loan of it if you like it. I'm 5'2 and was fine on it, the OT set it to the right height etc. Because the seat slopes forward, you can lean forward whilst sat on it, in yet not be bending more than 90 degrees - which is good if you are not supposed to lean or find it difficult. I used to manage to sit down and wash up etc on it, but unless your legs can go under the worksurface (or you have a breakfast bar) you can't get as close as you would standing. However it was also good for quick sit downs and is easy to get back to standing to again. If you get on with it one in the bathroom too is very handy.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi Lynn, I got mine through the o/t, I find it invaluable, but you shouldn't need to buy one, ring up social services and ask to speak to the community o/t, they will do an assessment to see if you need anything else also love Jaspercatxx
  • cherrybim
    Lynn me darlin' you're most welcomed to share my bathroom :D

I decided some time ago that I wasn't going to let Arthur come a courting to me, when all's said and done he's not a very handsome bloke is he :lol:

So....down at our local Age Concern there's a lovely young girl who does the beauty treatments. Absolute magic, apparently she prefers "older peeps" as they're not so "totally boring" as the young 'uns are. She got me the wonderful face mask and moisteriser she'd used on me at wholesale price.

So, having learnt the rudiments of the present day facial I think I could accommodate at least four of the friends on here in my bathroom. However that would only be for peeps to sit on a perching stool and soak their feet prior to a pedicure. You'd all have to move to a bedroom for the facial but no probs, all the beds are raised :)

Cherryx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    I'm on mine as i write this. I find it a lot easyer. I use it for ironing. I would not be with out mine. The ot gave me mine love it get one id recommend it.x joanne
    Joanne
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I had one via OT when I had THR......I found it good and it is adjustable.
    Is it my imagination or did someone manage to pick one up in a charity shop....cant remember who....she already had one???? Tell me I'm not going crackers :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • salamander
    You shouldn't have to buy one.They'll have dozens stacked up in a store somewhere. In any case, they only 'loan' them. Ring and speak to your ot or adult svs at the council.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    HI Hileena ... you're quite sane :wink: twas indeed I who snapped up a bargain Perching stool from the local hospice shop :D

Right ..... so now I have to own up to not being little in the leg department (or in fact any other department :oops: ) but the stools I have (one from OT in kitchen and one from charity shop upstairs) are both height adjustable, although the one from the shop has a higher 'base' height if that makes sense?

I would definitely say to see if you can get one via the OT - for two reasons. Firstly, if you don't need to pay then you shouldn't, and they can also assess your kitchen at the same time and advise you on the safest and best way to use it for your situation.

Personally I do find that I bang my knees on the cupboard doors if I try to use it at the work surfaces, and it isn't ideal for the height of the worktops. HOwever, on the really bad days I use the perching stool at the dining table, where I put a glass surface protector and chop all the veg there.

WHere I wouldn't be without it is for putting stuff in and out of the washer, and for getting stuff in and out of the fridge. Magic. I used the 'new' one in our bathroom to help with washing my hair tonight, and it is easier to get in our v small bathroom because it has legs which are less splayed out .... something to look out for if you do buy one ......... as I too have kicked the stool more times than I care to remember :lol::lol::lol::lol:

good luck!

WOnky
  • cherrybim
    [quote="Now then Cherry....I could do with a makeover - be warned, there's a lot of wrinkles to iron out on this face :D:D By the way, has hubby had any word about his op? Wasn't he going to be fitted with a titanium hip? (sorry if I got that wrong) :oops: Let us know how he goes on, won't you? xxx[/quote]

Gosh Lynn you've got a jolly good memory :) Yep it is my Hubby Stu who is in the system for the dismantling of the right hip. He has a long plate down the thigh, held in place by 8 x 2 inch screws and a top supporting plate with a 4 inch "dynamic hip screw". The latter is the only one which now gives him any pain when he hits it or sleeps on it. The consultant has said it has healed enough for him to risk a trcky hip replacement. Hubby says he doesn't care what the lovely Orthopod does as long as he can stop walking like a crab :D

Don't worry about the wrinkles :lol: I only use my iron to smooth them out, never that rude word ironing clothes

Cherry x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I was offered a perching stall but didn't understand what it was.You have all done a much better job than the OT ever did.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • salamander
    Lynn, your kitchen couldn't be smaller than mine :) but I still think having a stool is really worth it. Mine folds but I never bother. Really helps the ankles and knees.
    xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Hi Lynn,

I was told it was a slightly slanting chair. I thought well I have a chair surely that will do.

Slightly mixed emotions today Lynn. I got married 25 years ago today so bringing up a lot of memories.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    invaluable use I use mine for everything!
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Lynn

Glad you got lots of good advise here. I was going to suggest you ask those friends of yours; thelma and louise. :lol:
    Really hope all goes well for you on Wednesday. I know things are a bit rough for you at the moment. Hang in there.
    take care (((( ))))
    Chris xx