Tinnitus and arthritis

JeanieEB
JeanieEB Member Posts: 8
edited 6. Nov 2010, 17:41 in Say Hello Archive
Hi

I now have tinnitus and prior to this could take Celebrex for my spinal arthritis quite happily, but not now as it exacibates it. I am also finding it difficult with antiflammatories such as Voltarol and they also have the same affect. Does anyone out there have any experience of this. I am told that 10% of the population have tinnitus all the time, so there must be some people out there with my problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am in my early 60's and about to retire and would obviously like to stay active as long as possible.

Thank you.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I take sulphasalazine and this has given me tinnitus. This topic was covered recently on the LWA forum - Living with Arthritis, it may be worth you posting there too as more people respond to that forum. (Having said that today is the first day after an upgrade and some are struggling to log on!) I find it's worse at night when there is less general noise, so I resort to my MP3 player. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JeanieEB
    Hi Dreamdaisy

Thanks for your reply but it's really trying to cope with the arthritis that I am concerned about.

If you have problems with your tinnitus the Royal London Ear Nose & Throat have pioneered a Mindful Meditation Course especially for tinnitus. Basically its CBT and works insomuch as instead of trying to distract the brain from your tinnitus the meditation helps to accept it and consequently sees it as less of a threat and pays less attention. Thats the theory anyway.

JeanieEB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    In that case definitely post on LWA, you should get some answers there. I have PA and I am currently flaring like there is no tomorrow (unfortunately there is tho, so yet another uncomfortable day to come!). The tinnitus isn't a real problem yet, tho I do have the details of various organisations for when it does. I used to take celebrex but my GP changed it for reasons of economy to naproxen, which does little for the joint pain but does give me lovely oral thrush. What form of arthritis do you have? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • JeanieEB
    Hi Dreamdaisy

I have osteoarthritis of the spine and it's getting worse especially as I can no longer take Celebrex.

JeanieEB
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

A warm Welcome from me.

I have suffered with Tinnitus since I got arthritis. Sometimes it seems like a kettle that whistles when it boils. Other times I feel as if I can feel or hear my heart beating.

It can get really annoying and I don't know what to do about it at all.

I don't take any medication for it I never knew that there was any treatment for it.

love Trish xxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jeannie

Welcome from me

Have you tried ALL anti-inflams? I am taking a cox2 called arcoxia and there are others too. Dont know if it causes tinnitus too as I have it anyway :)

Best wishes

Toni xx