Dexa scan

Options
jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
Hi, after recently breaking both my ankles at once, my gp is going to refer me for a Dexa scan, I am noy sure what this is but understand it is to see how strong my bones are, can anyone tell me anything more? love Jaspercatxx

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear jaspercat,

If you'd like us to send you some more substantial information on bone density and dexa scans then just email your full name and address to helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk.

Essentially a bone density scan will determine whether the honeycomb structure of your leg/ankles is weaker than the norm for your age.

The normal reason for getting a scan is if it is felt that the fractures occurred with a 'low impact'

The National Osteoporosis Helpline is very helpful. http://www.nos.org.uk/netcommunity/page.aspx?pid=183

I hope that is helpful

Guy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kim, there really shouldn't be any problem with a DEXA itself. You just lie there on the couch and the machine moves across you, you are not enclosed in any way - just like an X-ray really.

The only real problem I had was that the couch was very hard to lie on and I find that painful.

I had one DEXA last year which showed I had osteoporosis of the spine, I am due another one next summer. For these two years I have been on various bone-strengthening drugs. Next year will show if they have done any good or not!

Good Luck
    Annie