hi

kittykazz
kittykazz Member Posts: 9
edited 12. Nov 2010, 06:32 in Say Hello Archive
:D hi all

I am 39years old and have recently been told i have oa after 18 years of complaining of joint pain. I have 3 kids aged 18,12 and 9 and was working full time as a retail team leader until a knee operation but hope to get back to work soon. The news has left me a bit gob smacked to be honest after being told for years they had no idea what was wrong with me.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    It is a shock to be told something like that. You mentioned knee surgery - have you had a TKR? (total knee replacement) You are not too young for OA, this disease can strike at any time in one's life. I have a different form of arthritis, but there are many OAers about here, and we all know our stuff. If you have any questions about treatments etc then post on LWA (living with arthritis) and I am sure you will receive some replies. The other forum titles are equally self-explanatory. I hope you are able to get back to work soon, especially if it is a job you enjoy. It's nice to meet you, I hope you enjoy being a member. Take care. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi great to have you with us sorry you have oa but feel free to join in anything you can val
    val
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi
    And a very warm welcome from me, it is a shock when first diagnosed but we all support one another, so you have come to the right place.
    I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • kittykazz
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It is a shock to be told something like that. You mentioned knee surgery - have you had a TKR? (total knee replacement) You are not too young for OA, this disease can strike at any time in one's life. I have a different form of arthritis, but there are many OAers about here, and we all know our stuff. If you have any questions about treatments etc then post on LWA (living with arthritis) and I am sure you will receive some replies. The other forum titles are equally self-explanatory. I hope you are able to get back to work soon, especially if it is a job you enjoy. It's nice to meet you, I hope you enjoy being a member. Take care. DD

hi DD

Thanks i went in for cartlidge to be fiddled with but came round to be told i had had a microfracture done to try to prolong the life of my knee before replacement is needed as i have OA. They dont wont to replace knee joint because of my age so fingers are crossed this worked. Told work i would be off 4 weeks but still off after 12 weeks but should be back there soon i hope thanks again for welcome x
  • kittykazz
    valval wrote:
    hi great to have you with us sorry you have oa but feel free to join in anything you can val

thanks Val

I been asking advice about returning to work on another forum which has been really helpful thanks again kittykazz
  • kittykazz
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi
    And a very warm welcome from me, it is a shock when first diagnosed but we all support one another, so you have come to the right place.
    I hope to see you posting more very soon.
    Love
    Barbara x

hi Barbara

Thanks sure i will be picking everyones brains on regular basis hehe

thanks again
  • dotty123
    dotty123 Member Posts: 122
    Hi

That is so typical at times of doc's saying nothing is wrong and then one day its a case of OH yes... I was ignored for ages and my doctor said he couldn't even see that my knuckles were swollen and everyone else could !!

Sorry you have had to go through so much and yes its so unfair at a young age ..this is what upsets me. If I was 20 years older I could accept it.
  • ANDYAJ
    ANDYAJ Member Posts: 3
    Hi there, my name is andy and i have osteoarthritis. I have suffered from this condition since recieving major surgery following a very serious motorcycle accident in 1987.
    I broke many bones in this accident( thigh bone, wrist, ribs, collar bone, fractured scull, pelvis in 3 places, lost my memory,and was in acoma for 4 weeks.
    When my arthritis first started i could handle it for the first few years without medication, but as the years have passed it has got really hard to cope with and thats with using medication now. My arthritis is in my pelvis, and it effects my back and everything below my waist. :(
    I can cope with the pain, but its the immense achynous it causes that effects me the most because it totally drains me of energy and tires me out and makes me grumpy.
    Because of this i cant play with my children very often or for very long.I was told years ago by the hospital that one day i would need a hip replacement, since being told this i have seen my gp many many times complaining about how much worse my arthritis is getting and how it stops me doing things. All my gp ever does is give me pain killers, which no longer work because my body is so used to them :( push your gp for any help needed, and dont let them fob you off. take care. andyaj
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello andyaj, welcome to the forum. I don't have the same form of arthritis as you but it does sound as tho your GP is not one of the empathetic kind. What pain dullers have you tried so far? There are a few to chose from but maybe you have problems with some forms - I know that some cannot tolerate co-codamols and morphine-based pain relief, perhaps you are due a review of some sort. Has he ever given you anti-inflammatories? I know that some OAers are on them and they can help reduce pain levels. We are a friendly bunch on here, any queries relating to meds etc should go on the LWA forum - Living with Arthritis, more general stuff is to be found on chitchat. I wish you well and hope to see you posting. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ANDYAJ
    ANDYAJ Member Posts: 3
    ANDYAJ here, thanks for your reply concerning my condition. I have tried loads of different pain killers over the years for long lengths of time, and also anti-inflammatories. but none of these drugs help me anymore because my body has got so used to useing them constantly.
    I do all i can to help my condition as far as i know by eating healthy, light exercise, no really heavy lifting, and i take cod liver oil capsules daily to try and help my joints.
    I have seen physio's etc and carried out exercises in hydrotherapy pool, and go swimming every other week. I like walking when ever i can.
    I think its time for me to look into alternative treatments for my osteoarthritis now. What such things i dont really know, but i think i will gradually find these out through other arthritis suffers on this site.
    This is my first weekend on this site, because i didn't know i existed until finding it on saturday. But i will be using, and looking through it regularly from now on. take care. ANDYAJ.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Kitty and Andy

Good to meet you both.

You are very welcome on thsi forum and we will do as much as we all can to support you.

Sounds like both of you have struggled with diagnosis as have most of us too!

Please do use the forums and make new friends ask questions or just have some fun

Love

Toni xx