return to work after THR

dexonsbabe
dexonsbabe Member Posts: 5
I recently had left hip replacement and was given a 6wk sick note however this will run out before I go for my follow up appointment with my consultant. Should I wait until I see him and he gives me the all clear or do I go back to work. Any advise much appreciated.

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I would discuss with your GP and you will probably need longer than 6 weeks. I went back at 4 months post op on restricted duties, but it really does depend on your job and how you feel in your recovery. There is no hard and fast rule really. But I would think 6 weerks a bit soon to be honest.
    Good luck
    NB
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Hi

I went back to work (a desk job) 13 weeks after my THR, still using one crutch. I really don't think I could have gone back sooner than that.

Hope all goes well for you.

Marion
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi and welcome, I would definitely go back to GP and ask for an extension on your sick note - 6 weeks is very soon to be returning to work. You might feel great at home but it is very different in the "real world." I think you should wait to know the new joint is well embedded before returning to work. How long you need off work will depend on what you do, your work hours etc

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dexonsbabe
    dexonsbabe Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and advise. Its almost 4wks since op and am now using 2 walking sticks.......not in any real pain more discomfort and a sort of heavy feeling in the leg almost as if its not mine. Have been told I can put full wait on it when I feel ready. My job is mainly desk based but with some lifting and bending, which I can get my work colleges to help with. It was my consultant that originally said should only be about 6 weeks and my manager has just recently returned 6 weeks after having her hip done so just feel the pressure is on a bit.

Lori
  • speedalong
    Hi, getting work colleagues to do the lifting and bending would be great as it is early days for you to be doing those activities. Lots of sitting would be a problem as you will be at greater risk of DVTs and also get stiff if you sit down for too long. if your boss has gone through the same op she will at least have some idea of how it is for you, though of course no two ops or experiences are the same. Ultimately you have to go back when it is right for you - it is easy to over do it.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    I was off for 11 weeks in total following my THR.
    I work as a teacher and went back on phased return, only one day in the first week and that was enough!
    Dont put yourself under extra pressure, everyone is different.
    Im sure they would prefer you to be fully well than not quite there causing yourself problems and needing even more time off!!
    x
  • lola9755
    lola9755 Member Posts: 39
    I had a THR 19th November, got a sicknote from the hospital for 6 weeks and then got one last week for 4 weeks from my GP, Im getting around okay in the house and started going for a short walk daily, with one stick Im a bit nervous about going back to work, I feel pressure to return at the end of the month, but not sure I can manage as I work fulltime, but heyho, another three weeks and things might have improved, so I feel I can return to work
  • speedalong
    Hi Lola,
    it does depend what you do at work. But all jobs have their challenges - too much sitting and you will get stiff and are at risk from DVTs and too active and you will over do it. and struggle to follow hip restrictions.

You need to ensure you go back phased return and on restricted duties if necessary. Do not underestimate how tired you will feel at first. I would not consider going back before 3 months as you really want the replacement joint to be embedding well ...

Speedy