OA and RA?

laura
laura Member Posts: 12
Hi

I have been diagnosed definitely with OA but also on a hand xray it showed bone erosions which my GP says is more suggestive of RA.
I had loads of blood tests which came back ok apart from ANA which was positive. RF was negative
I am being referred to a rheumy but my question is can you have both OA and RA, and can any other arthritic condidtion cause bone erosions?
Laura xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Having been a member on here for a few months now, I understand that it is possible to have both OA and RA, despite their differing causes. Arthritis presents in so many different ways, there is a form of sero-negative RA, i.e. it won't show on a blood test for a positive RF factor. You are being referred to a rheumatologist, so I hope they will be able to shed light on this for you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    laura wrote:
    Hi

I have been diagnosed definitely with OA but also on a hand xray it showed bone erosions which my GP says is more suggestive of RA.
    I had loads of blood tests which came back ok apart from ANA which was positive. RF was negative
    I am being referred to a rheumy but my question is can you have both OA and RA, and can any other arthritic condidtion cause bone erosions?
    Hi Laura,
    Welcome. We have a lot of information here on the Helplines about bloodtests and the various forms of arthritis. If you send us a private message or and email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your home address we will send you out a pack of info. Or pick up the phone and give us a ring on 0808 800 4050 - its free and confidential and sometmes its good to have a chat.
    DD is right you can have more than one tupe of arthritis and unfortunately if the joints are badly affected some erosion can occur. We have a very good leaflet about OA in hands and how to care for them.
    Hope this helps ?
    Penn
    Helplines Team
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    laura wrote:
    Hi

Hi Laura
    I know your posting was a while ago (have only just joined the forum), but to let you know that I was diagnosed with RA in my hands a few years ago (well controlled!),but have now recently been diagnosed with OA in my ankle.
    prefabkid47
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)