Disaster!

cthornley
cthornley Member Posts: 627
edited 1. Dec 2010, 16:47 in Community Chit-chat archive
Woke up this morning to no electrics or boiler. Boiler died in the night shorting the power. Managed to get the electrics back but no heat. Themometer reading -4 outside and with approx. 8-10ins of snow in our road not sure if were going to be able to get a plumber here.
Trying to keep our toddler in the only warm room in the house whilst getting him to not touch the fire is very wearing and the cold is making me stiffen up to say the least!
Ok what else can go wrong this is not the start to the weekend I was hoping for!
Chrissie :shock: Brrrrrrrr

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Blooming heck, that's terrible.. Hope they get there pronto to sort it for you..
    Here' s one of our toastie radiators for you..... Keep it as long as you need it...

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Oh no hope you get it sorted quickly...do you not know anyone who could come out and have a look for you? I dread that happening to us but we have a wood/coal burner so at least one room in the house can remain warm. Do you not have a fire guard for your wee one then?
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Encase said toddler in a play-pen, or tie him to a chair - or alternatively let him discover how hot the fire is for himself and he won't touch it again. The more you say 'No' the more he will want to do it! I am only joking, it must be difficult to say the least. I guess the cardiologist has gone off to work, leaving you to cope as per usual? I hope someone can get out soon to you and get it sorted. I am sat in bed, watching the sleet. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Jesus I feel for you, we have just got our heating back after it not working for 6 weeks but we have a wood burner and just about kept things warm, I guess all you can do is hold up in one warm room and stay in there as best you can but it's not nice with the temps we now have, -4 here last night slight dusting of snow this morning.
  • cthornley
    status update: still v. cold

realised when i went to put the milk back in the fridge that its slightly warmer in the fridge than in the room its in!!

got 2 plumbers that said they will try and get out to us at some point today ....gonna phone us to let us know how they are going but there is still a hell of a lot of snow.

lots of lovely neighbours though & going to get some electric heaters from them soon....and lots of offers so not too much of a disaster

metaphorical fingers crossed it'll get fixed soon
    Chrissie
  • dreamdaisy
    At least you will have some heat available, bless your neighbours! I hope the plumbers can make it to you today. Keep us informed, please! DD
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 27. Nov 2010, 07:45
    Hi Chrissie
    I really hope you get it sorted very soon, my OH mends boilers, when he turns up at there houses they are so happy....he has had 3 hugs this morning :lol: hope they wernt al lyoung ladies :roll:
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    I hope you get it fixed soon, Crissie. It's miserable trying to keep warm.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • cthornley
    We have a temporary fix! he doesn't know how long it will last but we've got to try and keep the boiler on. If it goes off it won't start again he's gonna get a replacement fan asap but because it's a relatively old boiler it might need to be ordered but he'll get it overnighted so should be completely fixed by weds. So hopefully we can keep it going and we'll stay warmish. Neighbours really came through with electric fires, offers of use of bedrooms, hot baths and childcare.
    Good thing plumber came when we did as we had another serious dumping of snow and roads now really not passible.
    So fingers crossed that it stays all good and heartfelt thanks to everybodies best wishes, neighbours help and a good humoured Geordie plumber.
    Chrissie
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope it continues to work! Take care and keep warm. DD
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
  • cthornley
    Stays update 2: obviously my defective crossed fingers haven't worked as we are once again sans heat! I guess we stay huddled til Tuesday and I'm going next door for a shower in the morning!
    I hope the forecasted temp for tonight of -7 is just pessimistic :shock: Chrissie (slowly turning blue)
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    oh my word not again, i hope it doesnt get as cold as they say for your sakes. thinking of you
  • cthornley
    Thanks cebeem I'll pop it next to the bed and imagine the toastiness
    I hope nobody ever gets to see me sleep in coat, hat and gloves ever again - I feel ridiculous but warmer.
  • cthornley
    Thanks everybody really has been lovely... I'm looking on the brightside tho my slightly flaring arthritic knees are lovely and warm. :|
    Ha i suppose at least it'll give us something to talk/laugh about at Christmas :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    How are things today? I hope you have some heating available to you. DD
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Ditto the above .... it has been snowing all day here and sooooo cold I can't believe it, and I have been thinking of you and hoping that you have found somewhere warm and snug to huddle until the part arrives.

thinking of you and sending hugs
    WOnky xx
  • cthornley
    Not looking good this morning as we've had another heavy dumping of snow overnight and it's still coming down and to make it all the more spectacular we've had thunder and lightening too!
    I am currently debating whether or not i'm going to make it to work (it has heating yay) and husband has had the decision made for him when they shut the main route to his work and said only main routes are passible. This also means there is little or no chance of getting the part for our boiler in current conditions.
    I'm freezing but our son is proving himself a real Geordie by running round an unheated house in just his pants and laughing hysterically.
    Chrissie
  • cthornley
    Final status update: I love my Geordie plumber!!
    Despite even more snow, horrible driving conditions, thunder and lightening I got a call to say he'd managed to go pick the part up for us and could he fit it for us tonight. So we are now all snuggly and the boiler no longer sounds like it's chewing spanners :D
    And for 2 trips out in several feet of snow, blizzard conditions, one on a weekend the other an evening he charged us the princely total sum of......£42
    I think I love him :wink:
    Chrissie
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Whoopie...i am so pleased for you...
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    That's good news Chrissie, and a blooming bargain too.. Worth every penny, and that's coming from a Yorkshireman!! Lol

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    morning chrissie

just found this thread a little late now that you are sortd :oops:

anyway I am pleased that you are now back to being warm must have been terrible for you.

good ole plumber there are some that dont let you down then?

take care
    juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    It's good to know that there are still some honest and fair people out there! I am glad that everything is working now, that must be a huge relief. DD
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    cthornley wrote:
    Final status update: I love my Geordie plumber!!
    Despite even more snow, horrible driving conditions, thunder and lightening I got a call to say he'd managed to go pick the part up for us and could he fit it for us tonight. So we are now all snuggly and the boiler no longer sounds like it's chewing spanners :D
    And for 2 trips out in several feet of snow, blizzard conditions, one on a weekend the other an evening he charged us the princely total sum of......£42
    I think I love him :wink:
    Chrissie

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

so pleased that something has gone right for you !

and what a star the plumber is!

WOnky xxxxx