positive vibes please

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 1. Dec 2010, 19:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
I am moving up to 3 days this week on my phased return. I have been doing 2 split, short days so far and have needed my day off in between to recover. But this week I am in today, tomorrow then Friday. I am worried about how I will cope tomorrow, as I on a course and will need to be sat for long periods, in a different building where I do not know what the seating is like.
My hip and leg have been painful this weekend, probably the cold, and my lower back has been `locking` when sat for a while. Does anyone else get this? It is really scary as when it happens I cannot move and it feels like something is going to snap. What do other people do to manage this if it happens?
I am trying to keep positive, but now with the snow I am findinf it difficult. And I still haven`t heard from occy health or OT as promised before I went back! (sound familiar Speedy :roll: ?!!)
Ok I`m off to get ready, I`ll be back later
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I assume the course is an all-day thing? How about sitting at the back and from time-to-time get up and have a little wander across the back of the room? Let the person/s delivering said course that you will be doing this, and the reason why. That should stop you freezing up, help you to keep your circulation going, and hopefully pre-empt any problems. Rest as much as you can too, both during the working day and after. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    hi NB hope it isnt to wareing for you i cant comment on your back as i dont have those issues , but chase occy up if you need stuff , take care and stay safe in the snow xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Just wanted to wish you good luck..
    Hope it's not too bad for you.

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi NB

I am also popping in to wish you luck and here some positive vibes coming your way :::::::::::

Take care and rest when you can
    Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi Nb
    I just want to wish you good luck, and I do hope that the OTs get something done for you, you keep on at them.
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi NB,

I'm sending you more positive vibes to help you with the next few days at work. :wink:

I agree with the others... get on to Occy Health again and OT.. you shouldn't be expected to return to work, phased or otherwise, without the correct adaptations & supports in place. :roll: and even then there should be regular reviews to ensure that the return to work is as smooth as possible and any issues dealt with.

If you feel that doing three consecutive days is too much.. then maybe you need to say that to them and the whole phased return time-scale re-visited.... to suit your needs
    You have rights NB under DDA and your employer has a a duty towards you in law to ensure your condition isn't undermined by a botched up and inappropriate phased return. MAybe you should contact the union?

Thinking of you...

Iris xxx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    And thanks for the replies and positive vibes.
    Today wasn`t too bad, until I came to drive home and I got sciatica down leg :roll: . But as i was in my own office today I could move about regularly.
    I am still no nearer re OT/occy health as my boss was in meetings all day , and not at our base. I will keep trying tho`.
    I will try your recommendation DD and discuss my need to move about from time to time, so I don`t feel uncomfortable.
    Thanks again xx
    NB
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi NB

Just leaving some positive vibes and hoping tomorrow is okish for you. Tis no fun trying to get to work in this cold weather and snow, you have my sympathy. Hope they do get things sorted at work soon for you.
    take care
    Chris
  • dreamdaisy
    Right, it's nearly 10.30 in Tuesday and I hope you are coping OK with the demands of the course - worn a groove at the back of the hall yet? :D Take care, thinking of you. DD
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Nearly,

So hope its gone ok today and leaving you a bucket of positive vibes and ((( )))'s Cris xx
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    DD I survived the course! The chairs were really uncomfy and I did need to get up a few times. It was an enjoyable course, and I got a lot out of it. But driving has been painful since, especially as the journeys are longer due to slow driving in the ice.
    Cris, and Chris, thanks for you support. I hope that the snow and ice arent causing you too much pain. I am terrified of slipping and falling as most of the white stuff here has turnrd to ice.
    I saw my boss for a few minutes today and told her things weren`t going too well, and I am seeing her properly on Friday.
    Day off tomorrow, and I plan to stay indoors and keep warm!
    Take care all xx
    NB
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Glad you survived the course nearlybionic - and glad you have a day off tomorrow!

Really good luck for Friday - will be thinking of you.

Tilly x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    HI NB

Just wishing you ll the est for Friday and don't forget OCCY health too

Love Trish xxx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi NB
    Well done for getting this far.....just sending good wishes for the rest of the days.

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Well done for that Nearly :)

probably helped that the cousrse was interesting eh?

You take care and enjoy the day off.

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    I'm glad it went well and that you were able to move around to ease things from time to time. Take care. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi NB

glad you did the course even hough it was uncomfortable. well done :)

Keep warm on your day off and good luck for your meeting on friday
    with your boss.

Juliepf x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi NB, yes it all sounds all too familiar.

Please take cushions with you so that you can modify the seating if you need too. I really ache tonight after sitting on what must have been an unsuitable chair for just an hour this afternoon at the play rehearsal ... Tell the tutor that you will have to move around and walk the corridors at break if it is too treacherous to take a walk outside at breaks and lunch.

The cold really doesn't help either.

My lower back doesn't lock but it is extremely painful at the moment. I think us hip folk end up compensating with our backs ... and hence we are paying.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.