Snow Snow Snow !!!

joann1
joann1 Member Posts: 263
edited 9. Jan 2011, 14:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hiya everyone

Wow how long is this snow lasting, cant b.lev how much has fallen in the last few days, I live in sunderland so the snow is a nightmare at the minute & to top it off my better half is a self employed window cleaner so god no's when he going to get out to make some money, good job we go the majority of the xmas prezzies is, not ment to be a nice day tomorrow either more snow predicted so it guna take me a good while to get home from work, on the up side my cuddly little doggy who's name is marley is loving the snow running round the garden like he never been out before, problem is he is a bichon frise (extremly white and fluffy) so when he does venture out it quite hard to spot him haha

Has anyone else had any problems with this lovrly english weather????

Keep safe everyone

Jo-Ann :)
Jo-Ann

Comments

• elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jo-Ann

Well i know the NE has got it bad but anytime i say to my family who live in Inverness about the snow they tell us to stop being soft...
    They last year had 10inches of snow and even though my sister had to dig her car out of the whole cul de sac, nieces had to walk to work (it was upto their thighs).....Despite all this, hardly anyone didnt get to work/school and the buses run a full service too...I guess that cos theyre used to it they just get on with it....But when we get it we whinge like crazy..

Elainex

Ps - my other sister who lives in Nairn actually has had to walk into town through a forest to get groceries as you couldnt even get to her house as the road to the drive is a mile long and where she lives there is only 4 houses in total....
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    joann1 wrote:
    Hiya everyone

Wow how long is this snow lasting, cant b.lev how much has fallen in the last few days, I live in sunderland so the snow is a nightmare at the minute & to top it off my better half is a self employed window cleaner so god no's when he going to get out to make some money, good job we go the majority of the xmas prezzies is, not ment to be a nice day tomorrow either more snow predicted so it guna take me a good while to get home from work, on the up side my cuddly little doggy who's name is marley is loving the snow running round the garden like he never been out before, problem is he is a bichon frise (extremly white and fluffy) so when he does venture out it quite hard to spot him haha

Has anyone else had any problems with this lovrly english weather????

Keep safe everyone

Jo-Ann :)
    Bet you'll still be going out in your shirt sleeves up there :wink::mrgreen:

Just kidding....

We've had a fair bit here in Leeds, but it's not too bad yet, roads were all ok today but we're expecting a load more tonight... Bloody hate it, lol..

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I'm in Newcastle so I know how you feel. It just seems to keep coming
    I literally had to dig my car out to go to work this morning (ok I admit it I had some lovely burly neighbours to help)
    When i got to work it was an impressive sight tho as there were snow covered bits of ice floating down the tyne and for once the only trouble getting a parking space was literally finding one.... I figured that it didn't really matter where i parked in the end so just went with where the car stopped!
    Our back yard is so full of snow that it's several feet up the glazed back door... Daren't open it in case we get an avalanche.
    Chrissie
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    I am up the road in Catterick Garrison and god we have had some snow today. Daughter works at one of the camps and got stuck..but the young lads dug her out. She was sent home because of the weather and her boyfriend rode his motor bike over to leyburn??? Amazingly got there and back in one piece. I have walked everywhere today and the snow has just got deeper as the day went on. All the schools except one in the area have been closed today. If the snow continues i would imagion the schools will be closed tomorrow!!!! I must admit i have had a lovely day but have done to much. Hope everyone else is Ok and not doing to bad.
  • tjt6768
    lupin15 wrote:
    I am up the road in Catterick Garrison and god we have had some snow today. Daughter works at one of the camps and got stuck..but the young lads dug her out. She was sent home because of the weather and her boyfriend rode his motor bike over to leyburn??? Amazingly got there and back in one piece. I have walked everywhere today and the snow has just got deeper as the day went on. All the schools except one in the area have been closed today. If the snow continues i would imagion the schools will be closed tomorrow!!!! I must admit i have had a lovely day but have done to much. Hope everyone else is Ok and not doing to bad.
    We always stop there at the T3sco store on our trips to and from Keilder Forest, on the way up we get our shopping and a bit of breakfast, then up through Richmond.. I am glad that we went up to Keilder when we did though, we'd be pretty stuck if we were there now I think...

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Chucking it down with snow here just now.
    we had a slight covering on Friday night & it was just starting to thaw abit today.Now the roads & path are white over again & its coming down quite heavy.

OH has to get stepson to college tomorrow through to Thursday. Doubt many of the tutors will turn up though, any excuse for them not to turn in & Stepson wont get his EMA payment.were skint so he needs his money :roll:
    Keep warm & safe everyone, debs
  • lupin15
    First fall of the winter..well it was more of the slip/slide and and plop. Just as well the snow is deep it cushioned my fall. Now my knee, foot and hand are aching. Oh well such is life...see how i go at work today. e careful out there...ice hiding under the snow folks.
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    hi i live on the orkney islands and we got snow and ice and i hate, poor car cant decide if its -1 or lower, as it got air conditioning keep expecting it to tell me its flaming cold out here, :lol::lol: the sun shining at the moment so sitting in doors its nice looking out, only thing is arthur giving me hell because of the cold, so for once me and arthur agree we both dont like the snow.

if i could have just one wish and that would be for the snow to go away
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • tjt6768
    Hi only, got a friend living up there, she's got a clothes/jewellery shop on the island..
    I know it's not practical with all the snow but I bet it looks beautiful..

Tony
    :mrgreen:
    only49 wrote:
    hi i live on the orkney islands and we got snow and ice and i hate, poor car cant decide if its -1 or lower, as it got air conditioning keep expecting it to tell me its flaming cold out here, :lol::lol: the sun shining at the moment so sitting in doors its nice looking out, only thing is arthur giving me hell because of the cold, so for once me and arthur agree we both dont like the snow.

if i could have just one wish and that would be for the snow to go away
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Well all you peeps up north,hope the snow soon goes for all of you,although I would love to visit the Orkney Isles,must be so beautifull :) Keep warm and safe.Mirabella
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    I live in London and now we have snow a blizard at the moment.
    Hubby had to go out ths morning so he scrapped the snow off the car.
    He only was 3 miles from home and there was no snow at all.

Before it got dark the sky was a yellowy colour which means only on thing, snow. As I write this it is falling down.

They mentoned on the news that it could drop to minus 17/8. Please wrap up warm and take care.

love Trish xxxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    got bottled water (last time it was this bad power went off and no pumps no water ) bread milk tea bags torches on to charge or wond up ready for most things
    val
  • joann1
    hiya

Lucky enough today we just seem to have had the odd flurry of snow, just heard on the news that it got to get worse throught the night though & then get better from thursday, think ive got everything i can possibly get crossed crossed, jus hoping that my op goes ahead next week and the kit comes from belgium!!!!

Jo-Ann
    Jo-Ann
  • tjt6768
    We can reverse too.. Mind you, we can't open carrier bags and women folk can.. Maybe that's the payoff.. Lol

Tony
    :mrgreen:
    rehab44 wrote:
    I had to go out today, daughter hates driving on ice, to take her rugrats to school.. brrrr cold and very slippery but due to my superior driving skills, I'm a bloke, we made it. Some skillful driving avoiding ice floes, avalanches and wandering polar bears looking for a snack on the elderly. we made it, 5mm of snow can be treacherous!
    Blokes rulz ok
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    my old grandmother used to say the best cure for chillbains was to pee on them :!: :!: :!: just telling you what I heard her telling my mother about 55yrs ago :!: mirabella
  • lupin15
    Gosh what a lot of snow we have had today....cleared the snow yesterday evening/late afternoon. not sure why i bothered because had to do it again today. Oh well at least the driveway and paths are clear at the moment...well they do have a dusting...see what tomorrow will bring. Walking miles and aching but at least i have posted the first lot of presents down south along with all my xmas cards. Round two tomorrow and then finished. Although it is tiring i really love the snow....so pure and white and bloody slippery. Still find it amusing that UK comes to a grinding halt when this happens. It would help if the public cleared all there paths. When we lived in Germany all paths were cleared...you could walk safely everywhere. I use to clear my paths before going to work. If you did not clear them and someone fell you were liable to be sued. Maybe the law should be changed over here....and cheaper grit and salt for the public to buy to help this process.
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    We've had a lot of snow in the Highlands of Scotland. I can drive to the GP, post office and local shop with extreme care. We didn't go to Mass last Sunday and won't be this Sunday - the Church is a bit of a drive away and the roads on the high ground are treacherous. The road outside our shop is gritted, but the walk of only a few hundred yards from home to the shop is on a road that is not gritted, and it is very unpleasant walking along it, particularly after I close the shop, when it is dark: a torch and a bag in one hand, walking stick in the other.

I hope we don't get this sort of weather over Christmas and New Year as we normally a get a lot of visitors that time of the year and the ten days from about 23rd December to 3rd January can be our busiest time in the winter. However if people can't get here, then it will be like last year.

We're planning a short break between 19th and 22nd December in Pitlochry (a Perthshire Highland town), so I hope the roads are okay by then.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • VWGolf
    VWGolf Member Posts: 9
    We've had a middling amount here in the Midlands, but living on a steep hillside, there are just two very large car-shaped piles of snow on the driveway. Goodness knows how much longer I can bear to go to work on the bus!

However, the dog likes it, as he thinks it's a large free meal!

max_snow.jpg
    vwheart.gif
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    lovely looking dog , my dog loves the snow too
  • joann1
    How cold has it been today, even the windscreen wash has frozen, went out for a drive yesterday we were out for an hour, when we left it was freezing but ok we came back to a couple of inches of snow, couldnt b.lev it, i'd only put me slippers on to, getting bit fed up of the whole snow thing now!!

Jo-Ann
    Jo-Ann
  • joann1
    Well here we go again the 9th of January and its starting to snow again, cant b.lev it, is it not enough that we had to put up with it coming early to give us even more pain than normal, hopefully it wont lay for to long, fingers crossed

Jo-Ann
    x x
    Jo-Ann