Oh the joys of Winter!!!

angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 30. Nov 2010, 08:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

Not been on the forum for a while,had some logging on issues.
I any of you struggling a lot more now the cold weather is here,I am finding it harder and harder to keep going with all of the pain and putting up with the cold weather.......Just having a moan here,but would like to hear from you.....and any tips you can share too.

Angilee

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi love my electric blanket for when am aching because of the cold try to stay warm hats gloves scarves thermals i got some micro fleese pjs they great it a matter of working what works for you we all differ so trial and error val
    val
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Angilee

Sorry you are struggling so much with the cold weather. I am lucky in that I don't find that cold weather makes my RA worse - I just don't like it! My hot water bottle (sometimes more than one) and my fleecy blankets are my best friends in the cold weather and I find that putting my hands inside the hot water bottle cover is very soothing.

I have also seen "heated gloves" advertised somewhere - I think they sell them in "outdoor wear" shops and they might be good to wear both inside and out.

I'm sure others will be along with useful tips soon Angilee.

Tilly xxx
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    I am already in my pj's, both children are in bed, I have just dragged the spare duvet down the stairs and boiled the kettle for a hot waterbottle. I am fully intending to not move from the sofa until bed time!
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Angilee

You have my sympathy and yes tis freezing everywhere it would seem. Add in a dollop of snow and pain does seem so much worse so you are entitled to a moan. I tend to have a bath as hot as I can stand it and then adopt the fleeces, duvets and hot water bottles as suggested here. Comfort food works for me too, nothing like a nice bowl of porridge to warm you up. :D
    take care
    Chris
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Angilee, I hate the cold too. The cold makes me tense up and I feel chilled to the bone. I have arther in hips and knees and wear passion-killers (thermal leggings) to try and keep the cold out. I also sit huddled under a fleecy blanket with wheatie bags in the evenings. (I sound 90, I'm 43!)

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • angilee
    angilee Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for your replies folks,I hate the cold too,I am still struggling to work full time....I work 7 days on then 2 off,it is no joke I can tell you........I fear this cannot go on much longer but there are no jobs anywhere at the moment.I certainly cannot afford to stop working at the moment.

I am hoping I dont slip and fall on the ice,because the pain does make you tense up,but with arthritis in both hips,knee and fingers.........it is going to be a long long winter.

Angilee
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Angilee

I agree this cold weather is miserable. I find wearing thick bed socks and my bedroom slippers keeps my feet warm. I also have a few pairs of pure woollen socks hand knitted for me by my daughter-in-laws gran. They're great when you go outdoors. I'm going to get some handwarmers this week.

I tend to use a hot water bottle to warm up the bed but I've decided to buy an electric blanket. It'll save the hassle of boiling the kettle etc.

I bought a few thermal vests last year and these are fabulous - you can get some really pretty ones too.

Regards
    Sharmaine
    angilee wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Not been on the forum for a while,had some logging on issues.
    I any of you struggling a lot more now the cold weather is here,I am finding it harder and harder to keep going with all of the pain and putting up with the cold weather.......Just having a moan here,but would like to hear from you.....and any tips you can share too.

Angilee
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Ah, the joys of prednisalone and morphine pain dullers - the sweats are gathering pace - got through three hand towels last night and had to change the doubled-up bath towel on the pillow once. Mr DD REFUSES to have the big window open - :shock: I cannot understand why! :D so I have to make do with the little one on the top just ajar. Having humira'd last night I shall adjourn to the top floor for tonights 'slumbers' - shut the door and have the velux wide open. Bliss. I would love to feel cold, these continual melts are exhausting. I am typing this with the fan on! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,402
    Hi Angilee

It IS cold r045.gif

very cold!

Good to see you back though :)

I agree your hours are a bit much - hope you can survive till something more apropriate comes along eh?

Love

toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Angilee,

Nice to see you again.

Oh flower the cold.... its just too cold all the time. move away from the fire and you start shivering......

I also find it hurts the bones, the muscles and my head! I sped time out doors and the wind isn't taking any prisoners either...

whats the answer....

Well layers and layers. Fleeces and more fleeces, body warmer and even just now a silly hate with ear flaps :lol: I look lovely :wink: Night over blankets (if it will work!) hottles (I have 3 now hence the mess my feet have become :wink: ) and 4 duvets help...... still get cold sometimes cus this has too many drafts :roll: Its about to get less mind us I am sick of this!

I also won't be able to give up work anytime soon but if I could I would never go out the door till it thawed and got a heat wave. Its all so hard when you have to work and it hurting to do it so much.

I hoe you can find an easier job or better still be able to have a few days off and not have to worry about money.

You take care and right there with you about the fear of falling.... Neither my knees or wrists are going to be happy if I use them to save my self. Just walk slowly and be careful I guess and have decent tread and maybe those grip things could help you? Hopefully it will warm u soon..... Cris x