cut mouth

helend
helend Member Posts: 35
edited 1. Dec 2010, 17:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi hope everybody has had at least one good day this week.has anybody else had trouble with mouth cuts.I have a cut at the side of my mouth and dont know where it has came from.It just wont heal its not a cold sore just a cut that keeps opening.I havent posted for a few weeks been busy with family and work and trying to have a few early nights not feeling too good over the last few weeks.to cheer myslelf :D up ordered a pair of lined wellingtons to keep my sore feet dry and warm.thanks for listening.helend

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Evening Helen.. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago, the whole RA thing is pretty new to me so I didn't know if it was just me but I was getting a sore mouth, I didn't really help matters as I kept finding myself biting it, bad habit I know, but the original sores? Not sure if they're to do with the disease or the meds maybe..?

Tony :mrgreen:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    hi, yes, I've had that. I thought it was the steroids.
  • helend
    tjt6768 wrote:
    Evening Helen.. I posted on here a couple of weeks ago, the whole RA thing is pretty new to me so I didn't know if it was just me but I was getting a sore mouth, I didn't really help matters as I kept finding myself biting it, bad habit I know, but the original sores? Not sure if they're to do with the disease or the meds maybe..?

Thanks for the reply should I put something on the cut or just keep hoping it will go awy.I have a hospital appointment next week will ask them when I am their I have a list of questions I feel like a hypochondriac helend :oops:
  • helend
    salamander wrote:
    Thanks for answering i dont know whether to put something on it or just leave well alone.Hospital appointment next week will bring up then along with all my other ailments only to be told its just part of your symptoms helend :(
  • tjt6768
    helend wrote:
    tjt6768 wrote:

Thanks for the reply should I put something on the cut or just keep hoping it will go awy.I have a hospital appointment next week will ask them when I am their I have a list of questions I feel like a hypochondriac helend :oops:
    You shouldn't feel that way Helen, am quite sure that not one of us on here is an hypochon.. I have been using a mouthwash with anti-bacterial stuff or whatever it is, and to stop me chewing my face inside out I bought a huge collection of chewing gum, lol.. Seems to be working, it's certainly better than it was. I was also thinkin it could be the steroids, or maybe the hydroxy meds, started both in march and this started not too long after that... Also lost my appetite big time since, losing weight by the day, not complaining just yet, lol...

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • helend
    tjt6768 wrote:
    helend wrote:
    tjt6768 wrote:

You shouldn't feel that way Helen, am quite sure that not one of us on here is an hypochon.. I have been using a mouthwash with anti-bacterial stuff or whatever it is, and to stop me chewing my face inside out I bought a huge collection of chewing gum, lol.. Seems to be working, it's certainly better than it was. I was also thinkin it could be the steroids, or maybe the hydroxy meds, started both in march and this started not too long after that... Also lost my appetite big time since, losing weight by the day, not complaining just yet, lol...
    Thanks sometimes just helps to post dont want to be always telling family how bad im feeling in when they ask how i am today i get fed up hearing myself saying sore helend
    Tony
    helend wrote:
    salamander wrote:
    Thanks for answering i dont know whether to put something on it or just leave well alone.Hospital appointment next week will bring up then along with all my other ailments only to be told its just part of your symptoms helend :(
  • tjt6768
    Hope that you have a good appointment and maybe get the answers you need, try to stay positive, I know it's not easy..

Tony :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    I just wanted to say that even though i dont take the meds other do, im just on painkillers for my type of arthritis, i also suffer from an auto immune disease too...This gave me facial swellings, mouth bleeding until i was diagnosed in the summer...
    I still get flare ups, bumps in my mouth that wont go away despite treating with iglu gel...I even use oraldene mouthwash which i can only use for a few days and then it makes my bottom gums, lip sore but it kills the bumps....Often these things take their own sweet time to go, other times its stress or maybe its your meds....
    Things like this make me feel yukky, and a bit hacked off, so i hope you get some advice/solutions...

Elainex
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I can't remember what meds you are on, helend, sorry - :oops: but things like meth can inhibit the body's healing powers. Splits at the corner of the mouth are tough to heal as one's mouth keeps opening and closing! Your rheumatologist may be able to help, or have you thought about asking your pharmacist about it? They have a wealth of knowledge one can draw upon. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    I haven't had cuts in my mouth, but I do get occasional swellings which make it difficult for me to wear my dentures. Thinking about it, these did begin about the time RA was diagnosed and I was put on steroids, but I never made the connection. The swelling comes and goes, and my mouth will be fine for weeks, and then the swelling returns to such an extent I have to leave my bottom set out apart from meal times.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Hi Helend

Yes, I get those splits at the side of my mouth too.. I put it down to the methotrexate that I am on for my RA. I do put just an emolient cream on them (any kind that I happen to have on my bedside table - something like nivea)..

Marion
  • helend
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I can't remember what meds you are on, helend, sorry - :oops: but things like meth can inhibit the body's healing powers. Splits at the corner of the mouth are tough to heal as one's mouth keeps opening and closing! Your rheumatologist may be able to help, or have you thought about asking your pharmacist about it? They have a wealth of knowledge one can draw upon. I wish you well. DD

thanks for you reply I am on methotraxate and folic acid hopefully next week i will get some answers,hope you are well helend
  • helend
    mp1952 wrote:
    Hi Helend

Yes, I get those splits at the side of my mouth too.. I put it down to the methotrexate that I am on for my RA. I do put just an emolient cream on them (any kind that I happen to have on my bedside table - something like nivea)..

Marion
    thanks for the advice i feel better knowing i am not the only one take care helend
  • helend
    I haven't had cuts in my mouth, but I do get occasional swellings which make it difficult for me to wear my dentures. Thinking about it, these did begin about the time RA was diagnosed and I was put on steroids, but I never made the connection. The swelling comes and goes, and my mouth will be fine for weeks, and then the swelling returns to such an extent I have to leave my bottom set out apart from meal times.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
    thanks for answering reading your reply i also realise the pain and sores in my mouth also come and go.helend
  • helend
    I just wanted to say that even though i dont take the meds other do, im just on painkillers for my type of arthritis, i also suffer from an auto immune disease too...This gave me facial swellings, mouth bleeding until i was diagnosed in the summer...
    I still get flare ups, bumps in my mouth that wont go away despite treating with iglu gel...I even use oraldene mouthwash which i can only use for a few days and then it makes my bottom gums, lip sore but it kills the bumps....Often these things take their own sweet time to go, other times its stress or maybe its your meds....
    Things like this make me feel yukky, and a bit hacked off, so i hope you get some advice/solutions...

Elainex
    hi i also have started to use the mouthwash and the toothpaste by oraldene what a horrible taste i brush my teeth then have to brush them again to take away the taste helend