Folic Acid Query

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 6. Dec 2010, 09:25 in Living with Arthritis archive
They have finally caught up with me, another useful (read useless) pill to help me 'cope' with the side effects of meth: what side effects? I don't have any. Anyhoo, my GP thinks she's helping so I guess I had better play the game. I collected the packet from the chemist and the instructions just say 'Take one tablet, weekly.' Am I right in thinking this should be done the day after the meth stabbing? I think I have read that on a number of occasions on here, but I thought I should check. Thank you. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi DD, I used to take one for five days but not the mtx day or the day after. Once weekly sounds odd to me.
  • roses1
    roses1 Member Posts: 1,850
    Hi DD,

My Mom has Mtx and the folic acid once weekly tablet form, she takes the folic acid usually the day after mtx .
    some ppl take it more than once a week i believe to help with the sick feeling :? be best to ask if your unsure as you have to be careful with mtx.

Hope your reasonable?

Rose x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi DD,

It does seem to vary from Dr to Dr. I have been told to take it on the 3rd day after taking the MTX.

Lv, Ix
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi DD :D

I was surprised that you weren't taking folic acid as well as the Mtx; it reduces toxicity of the mtx and can help with some side effects too.
    I thought everyone was automatically put on it :?

When I first started taking folic acid it was just one weekly dose, to be taken 3 days after the Mtx.

I now take Folic acid three days a week.. and was told not to take it on the same day of the Mtx jab.

Iris xxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi DD,
    I'm on 5mg daily except the day of having methotrexate, costing me an arm and a leg, I'm going to work just to pay for my prescriptions! Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi DD

I used to take folic acid 5mg daily except for mtx day.

Now I take folic acid 5mg once a week. mtx fri..... folic acid monday but i haven't been told to do it that way. I just chose mon as it was begining of week.

Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    Thanks everyone - I guess it's a small dose because as I said I don't have any problems with the injected meth - I have dim memories of taking a once-weekly dose when I was on tablet meth but that was years ago! Apparently one of the rheumatology nurses prescribed some for me back in January of this year but I totally forgot to get it from the hospital pharmacy - so unlike me! :D I will take it two days after the injection, it's easy to remember that way. Deep joy. I am bored beyond measure with it all. DD
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hey DD

Just thought I would add to your boredom with yet another variation on the theme.

I was instructed to take 5mg folic acid once weekly 5 days after the meth. So I take meth tabs on Monday and folic acid on Friday.

Tilly xxx
  • tillytop
    Poppygirl - just seen your comment about prescription costs and wondered if you were aware of prescription pre-payment certificates? They are still expensive but can be a great help in terms of the costs of long-term meds. Website address for more info is: https://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppcdd/patient.do

Sorry if I am telling you something you already know, but it was ages before I found out about them so just wanted to flag up.

Tilly x

Poppyg1rl wrote:
    Hi DD,
    I'm on 5mg daily except the day of having methotrexate, costing me an arm and a leg, I'm going to work just to pay for my prescriptions! Xxx
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Hi Tilly
    Thanks for the link, I kept meaning to sort it out but with being ill never got round to it, I'll make sure I do it asap.
    Thanks again Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    DD - I can't add much to the info above, other than personally I have always been told to take 5mg folic acid every day except MTX day.

as you can see, each area of the country (and probably each consultant :roll: ) seems to have their own particular plan :roll:

If it were me I'd probably ask the local pharmacist who will most probably know the local guidelines for these things, or even the hospital pharmacy when you are there next week :wink:

sorry they found you out :wink:

WOnky xxxxx
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Hi DD

Only just catching up with messages!!

I take folic acid 3 days after my methotrexate injection.. I was told if I was very nauseous I could take it more often (but I didn't need to).. I have a feeling if you take it too often it 'reduces the effectiveness of the Mtx..

Marion xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi DD,

There isn't any stardisation to it flower but how you haven't been given it before I don;t know.

I had mine originally at 10mg once a week then it went to 2x and now its 2 days before and 3 days after all at 10mg.

I haven't got that many side effects to the mtx but have got some hair thinning and get sickness... but that's cus the folic makes me feel sick as well.... they give me liquid now and its not a bad and tastes bit like over ripe strawberries... not selling that idea then :wink:

hope your staying warm.((( ))) Cris xx
  • lorica
    lorica Member Posts: 187
    Hi DD, I take my methatrexate 15mg on a Sunday, and then I take 5mg of folic acid on a thursday. Ive never been told to take it any more regular than that.

Mark
  • tillytop
    Hi Poppygirl

Glad it helped. It's ever so easy to do - I do mine by phone - and the certificate arrived really quickly. Well worth doing if you have lots of meds.

Tilly x
    Poppyg1rl wrote:
    Hi Tilly
    Thanks for the link, I kept meaning to sort it out but with being ill never got round to it, I'll make sure I do it asap.
    Thanks again Poppy X
  • masaka
    masaka Member Posts: 47
    Hello,

I have been on Meth for about 12 weeks. My instructions were Meth on Monday and Folic Acid on Friday. The M and F helps my addled little brain remember. I have been told I can take more if needed just not on the same day as the Meth. My side effects are exhaustion, headaches - usually the day after and generally feeling groggy. I also bruise badly.

I too have a Prescription Pre Payment Certificate. It works out at just over the cost of 1 prescription per month. Given I picked up 9 prescriptions yesterday I would not be without it. You can pay for it monthly and do it online. It comes quite quickly.

Hope all goes well,

Masakabuzz
  • dreamdaisy
    I remembered to take it today. I is, after all, a good girl and (adopt a hugely saracastic tone here please, reader) I feel so much better! :D DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    First Rose cured now you DD

amazing!

Serioulsy though - good girl and I hope you do 'see' some result :wink:

Love

Toni xx

(TAKING MY 'NEW' ONES EARLIER TOO SO I CAN HAVE A BRANDY) :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    How very sensible, frogmorton! :D Have a lovely week-end. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Thanks del, I do now dimly remember that marmite is high in FA but there is one, tiny drawback - it's disgusting stuff, well to my palate anyway! It must be in other foods too - am I right in thinking some cereals have added FA? DD
  • julie47
    Yes DD Snap crackle pop

you can hear it if you listen carefully, :lol:

trouble is they dont fill me up and need loads of sugar

what about rusks, they have iron too, yum i love rusks.

hope you are ok today

Juliepf x
  • dreamdaisy
    I like my rice thingies dry. No milk, nothing else added, just lovely and dry and crunchy! I think cornflakes have added FA too. I am OK today, thank you for asking, juliepf. I am aching a little from the walk home last night - I was braced for disaster all the way home but I didn't fall - my muscles ache tho. I hope your week-end is going OK - is your tree sorted yet? I can understand your frustration with it. I am so sorry. MIne's done, but I am not that pleased with it. I'm not re-doing it tho - I know my limits - on a number of fronts! Thinking of you. DD
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    I meant to answer this before but i was on my iphone and it kept dropping wifi connection

standard dose is 5mg 2 or 3 days after taking mtx but it depends how your body reacts to the mtx some people process it better than others and so some people end up having more
    you can't get enough from your diet alone as this would be fighting a losing battle against the mtx which actively depletes folic acid from your body which is why EVERYBODY on mtx should be taking it
    you require folic acid to help with cell renewal etc and it is important for your body but the mtx means that unlike other people we need to take extra actually quite a bit more than when you are pregnant
    I researched the subject quite heavily when we decided to try for a baby (by that i mean i badgered the various medics i know :wink: ) and i ended up taking the high dose (5mg is actually a high dose :) compared with what normal people would take ) thought pregnancy rather than the dose usually prescribed to pregnant women but even if you aren't pregnant you still as a mtx taker need to take it
    It doesn't really matter when you take it just that you don't take it the same day...2 to 3 days is optimum as it seems to have the best effect
    sorry i've rambled hope its some help
    Chrissie
  • dreamdaisy
    Thank you everyone for your help. I took it on Friday and am gently sliding into a mental mire, the depth of which I have yet to establish. I'll let you know when I touch bottom - I think, however, it's more to do with the looming 'festivities' than the FA tablets. DD
  • julie47
    Morning dd

Yup the tree up and yup rich and lisa did a good job, luckily she popped up to use our internet as hers was on the blink so helped him do it under my supervision :)

Glad you are remembering folic acid, sometimes i forget :oops:
    after reading chrissies report i think i should take more care. :oops:

well my weekend was ok didnt do much really, glad you enjoyed your curry and you got home safely, without slipping.
    That was brave.

take care
    thinking of you
    juliepf x