you know you are

valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 2. Dec 2010, 09:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
well you know you are doing well, when the decorations you could not put away last year you have just got down . the tree is half way to being done :D:D:D:D:D if did not have work in a bit would finnish it but joints starting to complain so taken pain meds and will rest till time to get changed. got lights on on tree magical shame about mess of rest of room tree decs and fairy waiting for decorating fairy to come and do the rest lol
val

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh Val I can feel your excitement...now be careful no ladders...then you can come and help with mine :)
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    barbara12 wrote:
    Oh Val I can feel your excitement...now be careful no ladders...then you can come and help with mine :)
    Barbara x

will do if u leave it to weekend lol have to give arther his space lol
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Starting my tree on 01.12. I never do it before, I can't bring myself to do so - if I did Scrooge DD would have more time to grumble - three weeks or so of 'Bah humbug' is enough with which to cope! I have a 6' tree, pre-lit with 300 white lights, I add another 300 or so (also white,for different effects), then the fun begins! I cannot wait - I bought some excellent Santas recently, I have been collecting them for over 25 years and I have some beauties. This years' crop includes a Santa on ice skates and one with skis, both by Gisela Graham. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    Dont you find it a shame we cant post any pics, I would love to see your trees, DD I collect angels...got a few to many really but I love them. :)
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    I have about 450 Santas now, I have all sorts! One on a parachute, one piloting a bi-plane, one on a unicycle, a couple driving, one doing a tango with a reindeer (who is resplendent in red lippie and high heels, and has a feather boa that wafts in the warmth from the lights!) I will take some pictures and try to load them onto my computer but being a complete techo-idiot that will be a challenge in itself. The finished tree is quite a sight - I have ex-pupils who pop in every December just to see the tree, which is sweet. They totally ignore me and hunt for the favourite Santas instead! Can't say I blame them. I think my favourite dates back about 12 years now, Santa in his bath, scrubbing his back with a loofah whilst reading a book that is propped up on his knees. He is wearing John Lennon specs and his uniform hangs on a red ribbon underneath the bath. I have some angels too, mostly in glass. If we had the space I would put up a second tree, but we lack the room - the house is not conducive to more than one tree.

This is how sad I am: they are catalogued, described and details of the date when bought, where and how much.

My oddest decoration tho is a small, gold, hand-blown glass airship. It even has the little gondola underneath. That goes on the middle of the tree, at the front. DD
  • valval
    our oldest dec is from 1983 it our first christmas together on a glass bell the lights shine through it the boys have one each from when they were born and micky mouse ones with there names on we have a china santa from holand with loads of others to many to mention
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    Decorations do bring back memories, don't they? My mum still has lights from the late 40s and early 50s, and there are some glass baubles from the 30s (so she says) that I want to liberate from her loft but she won't let me. I am about to start fetching my stuff now: one tree and nine boxes. Big, plastic storage boxes of stuff. Much stuff. It's pouring with snow here! DD
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Wow!

get you lot!

Mine will go up AFTER Lucy's birthday the 9th - she's entitled to have her cards up and be special like the rest of us :)

We too have some special baubles - one each from when my kids were born :) sigh...and some homemade stuff too.

I wanna see the angels and the santas!

Love

toni xx
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    I collect Fibre Optic Angels. Some sing Silent Night.They have big wings and hyme books in their hands. They have white lights then I have the coloured fire optic ones. They play harps also trumpets

I used to do the wall up leading to the corner where the tree goes. It looked so nice the Angels go on the wall then I have fibre optic santa's , they there as well. I it looks like a grotto when it it finished.

Our grandson stares at it when he comes. We have a 3 foot fibre optic Santa which stands by the tree with a sack with his presents in.

He is very lucky he has Christmas in our house then another at his other grand parents then a third in Abu where they are living at the moment.

Trish xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    It's not going well. My wrists and elbows are playing up, as are my knees and ankles. The deterioration in my abilities over the past twelve months has hit home. I shall join in with our mothers' chorus this year with gusto - 'Christmas isn't like it used to be.' **** Christmas, life isn't like it used to be! :D DD
  • valval
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It's not going well. My wrists and elbows are playing up, as are my knees and ankles. The deterioration in my abilities over the past twelve months has hit home. I shall join in with our mothers' chorus this year with gusto - 'Christmas isn't like it used to be.' **** Christmas, life isn't like it used to be! :D DD

sorry to read this but do little and often and adapt things to what you can cope with you can still enjoy it be kind to your self val
    val
  • barbara12
    mine are still in the box....I just keep sitting there looking at them...as though they will magically climb on the tree.....this is a job for my GC tonight...one job they wont grumble about :D:D
    Keep safe and warm
    Love
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    frogmorton wrote:
    Wow!

get you lot!

Mine will go up AFTER Lucy's birthday the 9th - she's entitled to have her cards up and be special like the rest of us :)

We too have some special baubles - one each from when my kids were born :) sigh...and some homemade stuff too.

I wanna see the angels and the santas!

Love

toni xx

Hi Toni,

I always wait until after the 5th, which is my Charlottes birthday. Usually I don't start shopping until this date but always have to rush so this year I started early-mostly on the internet.

I used to have lots of decorations from the forties, glass baubles and clip on birds and our hanging decorations were ancient, chinese lanterns and paper chains. I think my brother took them all after my Mum died.

Now DD I have a couple of musical santas I would love to get rid off. They drive me mad and are cumbersome, ugly blighters. I am sure you would see the beauty in them.
    Your tree sounds lovely.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    Musical Santas? Thank you for the thought, tkachev, but no thanks! I cannot stand any decoration that makes a noise, there is nothing worse than tinny little renditions of carols. Not my cup of tea at all. There is one notable exception tho: I have a Santa (which I adore) that goes round in circles, playing Santa Claus is Coming to Town - his eyes flash red and he looks absolutely demonic. He has a huge bell on his hat which jingles superbly! He was a gift from a pupil the year before last: the same boy has also given me a Santa mug and last year a Santa Jack-in-the-box. Fab!

I am taking it gently, valval, no choice in that matter! The botttomn half is Santa'd up, I now have the small and tiny ones to do for the top half. After that comes the finishing touches - and there are a few of those! I am trying to enjoy it. I am. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    awe will some one come and put my tree up

pleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee :D

still up in loft til saturday when OH will then bring it down and help me trim it.

Even next door has beat me this year , first time ever. :(

Awe well only another 2days :?

Hope you are all well

Juliepf x