scared of falling in the snow and on ice

lavenderlady
lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
edited 5. Dec 2010, 10:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
luckly so far the Isle of wight has had no real snow but I am petrified of falling over on my new wrist replacment as your natural instinct is to put your hands out if you fall,I was warned to avoid this sort of damage as it could break or damage the new joint resulting in another op, :shock: has anyone else damaged their new joints ?

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Haven't got any new joints but I too am scared of falling on snow. Just wanted to say, becareful, and only venture out if you need to.

juliepf x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi lavenderlady :D

I have the same fear as you and am paranoid about falling on my new wrist. :shock:

I had to venture out this morning in very deep snow... no cars, taxis or buses able to run :roll: and was telling myself.. if I slipped.. not to put my hand out to save myself. :!: don't know if that would have prevented me doing so. :? but it was all I could come up with!
    luckily the snow was 'squeaky' underfoot and not slippery... if that makes sense!

be careful when you do go out. :shock:

Iris xxxx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    Hi Lavenderlady.
    i'm also scared of falling over in the snow
    i have thr and tkr and my balance is not very good.
    we live in a side road and not much traffic come's up here
    all i have is a mobility scoota and if its slippy the tyres wont
    grip the snow.
    take care everyone and try to keep warm.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899
    I forgot i have fallen over about 10 times some have been out side and 2 last week because i lost my balance and thats with out snow.
    its the getting up thats the problem.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    Although our shop is on the gritter route, or home isn't. It is only about 300 yards from home to the shop, but in snow and ice it can get treacherous, particularly as there are no streetlights between the two (and it gets dark rather early this time of year in the far north), so I have a stick in one hand and a torch and a bag with whatever I am taking home in the other. I take it very very carefully!

Hope this snow doesn't last two long...

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Ooh Joan, that is a lot of falls!!! You must be black and blue, you poor thing.

Lavenderlady - I have the same fear, I have a hip resurface replacement and they are more prone to fractures than real hips and THR ... I tense up on the ice which makes me ache and even more prone to falling. I have always been the same ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    The real problem is that the thought of falling makes us lose all our inbuilt natural instincts. Every time we fear something we change our body stance and angulation which makes us ache and we are overly fearful of hurting ourselves. The real problem is overcoming our fear of movement and moving naturally.

Fear is our worse enemy, not falling. I've just been out in the snow, playing with next doors kids, great fun, time for some hot soup now!
    8) Its a grin, honest!

P.S. Little'un threw a snowball right in my ear, yuk!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Too true, Airwave.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • cebeem
    cebeem Bots Posts: 472
    Waiting for hand surgery...I feel I would instinctively save my hand thus landing on my elbow and requiring elbow surgery too!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Airwave....you are right but it doesnt stop me being scared....one THR, the one due to be done soon and my back being treated.....

Love
    Hileena
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I have been indoors since last Saturday because I'm so afraid of falling - if I fall I can't get back up again :roll:

I have a Christmas lunch booked tomorrow, deposit paid. To risk or not to risk that is the question :? :|
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hope you get to your christmas lunch today linda.

Just take extra care.

OH took me late night shopping last night :D:D just so I was out the house. I havent been out either since last sunday.(lied here, :oops: went to hosp app on wed) whoo whoo
    Cant feel the floor with prosthetic leg. (or other come to think of it) so I too am scared that if i fall i wouldnt get up. Being on the scooter wouldnt help as it probably wont grip either.

Take care peeps
    Juliepf x (just heard possibly thaw next week)
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Thanks Del and Julie. OH says we'll go in the car as friends have just rung to say roads aren't too bad :D

See y'all later I'm off to feast :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Lavenderlady,

Me too flower though I haven't had replacement I do know I will not use my wrists to save me! Tripped over froze horse muck today and my hands where in my pockets and I deliberately rammed them in harder so a to not use them....

I hope you stay safe and that it all soon gets warmer. Cris x
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    I was thinking the same save my wrist and probably end up needing an elbow op but your natural instinct is to put your arms out, have been so careful as you say I ache from the tensing up, luckly our snows all washed away jsut a biot of slush not too cold either today no doubt it will change again, just all be so careful