Steriods 11 Year Old Daughter

julie1
julie1 Member Posts: 34
edited 4. Jan 2011, 06:01 in My child has arthritis
Hi
My daughter has been given a 15 day course of steriods to help her with pain etc - will she be ok? She is taking methotrexate x

Comments

• littlemummy2
    littlemummy2 Member Posts: 91
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    She must be in real pain, i'm stuck giving my 6 yr old ibuprofen which gives her stomach ache.

She has been bad with pain since the snow and low temperatures started. Hope she is okay. x

Michelle
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi julie1, you don't say what dose of steroids but yes, I am sure she will be fine. They do help to perk one up, I find I can cope a great deal better when I have a reasonable dose of them. I wish her well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie1
    Sorry to hear about your daughter - it's a nightmare for them.
    Hope the weather warms up little too - take care x
    She must be in real pain, i'm stuck giving my 6 yr old ibuprofen which gives her stomach ache.

She has been bad with pain since the snow and low temperatures started. Hope she is okay. x

Michelle
  • julie1
    Thanks for you reply - I hope they help her!
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi julie1, you don't say what dose of steroids but yes, I am sure she will be fine. They do help to perk one up, I find I can cope a great deal better when I have a reasonable dose of them. I wish her well. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Hi julie1, how's your girl doing now? Has she improved? DD
  • julie1
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi julie1, how's your girl doing now? Has she improved? DD
    Hello

Yes she has improved, still having alot of pain in her hands though and she is taking Diclofenic too. Just wondering what happens after the steriods, will all the pain and swelling return?
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Who knows? We are all so different in how we react and in how active our versions of the disease are. For me the steroids help me cope, they make me feel 'better' - they also help my mobility and I know that 'cos when I fall below 10mg per day I start to grind to a halt. This malarkey is full of uncertainty - one can only take things one day at a time. I wish her well. DD
  • julie1
    Thank you for you reply - as it is the first time on steriods, like you way, I will just have to wait and see.

Thanks you again - I hope you keep well too.xxxx
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Who knows? We are all so different in how we react and in how active our versions of the disease are. For me the steroids help me cope, they make me feel 'better' - they also help my mobility and I know that 'cos when I fall below 10mg per day I start to grind to a halt. This malarkey is full of uncertainty - one can only take things one day at a time. I wish her well. DD
  • lare73
    lare73 Member Posts: 154
    hi julie it was lovely to meet you today, fingers crossed the steroids work and hope you got some useful advice from other families and the occupational therapist.

keep in touch and have a fab christmas xx
  • CreekyJoints
    CreekyJoints Member Posts: 6
    So sorry to hear that your daughter is in so much pain. Arthritis is no laughing matter and I don't think people realize just how horrible arthritis can be. I don't think anyone ever gets used to this dull yet strong consistent pain.

I haven't resorted to steroids (yet), but man, your little one must be pretty bad if she's going to be given steroids. Do keep us posted on her condition. I'm sure we'd all like to know if she was o.k. Thanks!

edited 4. Jan 2011, 10:03
    Thank you for your kind thoughts. My daughter has now finished the course, but I understand they stay in her system for some time - just waiting to see what happens next! Thanks again. I'm sorry you also have this terrible condition x
    So sorry to hear that your daughter is in so much pain. Arthritis is no laughing matter and I don't think people realize just how horrible arthritis can be. I don't think anyone ever gets used to this dull yet strong consistent pain.

I haven't resorted to steroids (yet), but man, your little one must be pretty bad if she's going to be given steroids. Do keep us posted on her condition. I'm sure we'd all like to know if she was o.k. Thanks!