Feeling discriminated against

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hi all at the helpline team, I wasn't sure where to direct this problem.

I am at college and they are aware that I have RA. I showed my tutor a letter from my consultant confirming my diagnosis and the symptoms I experience. I requested extra time in my exams and to use my laptop. I have a sociology exam in January and my tutor said I could have extra time but that I wasn't allowed to use my laptop. I said I might as well not do the exam because I literally cannot write an essay. He eventually agreed but won't let me have extra time too. I need to rest when I type lots and I suffer from chronic fatigue which adversely affects my concentration levels. Also, I had a Maths exam in September and my teacher allowed me to have extra time. I had another Maths exam today and the same teacher said she knew nothing of my RA and didn't let me have the extra time!!

I feel my needs are not being taken into account. I have tried speaking to my tutor again but no joy. Am I being unreasonable to expect more support under exam conditions?

Thank you,
Sophie

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    princess01 wrote:
    Hi all at the helpline team, I wasn't sure where to direct this problem.

I am at college and they are aware that I have RA. I showed my tutor a letter from my consultant confirming my diagnosis and the symptoms I experience. I requested extra time in my exams and to use my laptop. I have a sociology exam in January and my tutor said I could have extra time but that I wasn't allowed to use my laptop. I said I might as well not do the exam because I literally cannot write an essay. He eventually agreed but won't let me have extra time too. I need to rest when I type lots and I suffer from chronic fatigue which adversely affects my concentration levels. Also, I had a Maths exam in September and my teacher allowed me to have extra time. I had another Maths exam today and the same teacher said she knew nothing of my RA and didn't let me have the extra time!!

I feel my needs are not being taken into account. I have tried speaking to my tutor again but no joy. Am I being unreasonable to expect more support under exam conditions?

Thank you,
    Sophie

Hi Sophie

You will need to speak to the SENCO, Special Educational needs officer or as Delboy said speak to the Equalities office or Disabilities officer in your college. You should be registered officially as needing extra time for exams for the reasons you have described. This will mean you don't have to ask each teacher individually each time you have exams but instead you can inform them this is the case and the college is aware of it and has given permission. The college may need to inform the exam board for them to give their permission but this should help your case if it is all done officially so the responsibility of making the decision is not left to teachers who don't really understand the situation. At some point if they don't give you one automatically ask the college to give you a letter that says you have permission for extra time to show anyone that questions the fact.

I hope that helps Sophie and good luck in your exams!

Seasons greetings

Simona
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Just wanted to say thank you and update on the situation.

I spoke to student services on Friday who referred me to learning support. I was assessed today. I will be allowed 50% extra time in exams which includes scheduled breaks for me to leave my desk and stretch my joints. I can use my laptop too. I have been allocated a tutor for extra support and have been given the option of extended deadlines where nessecary. Even better, I was told there is a type of software which is suitable for Maths. This would make my life so much easier. They apologised that I had to go and seek the help out myself but ensured it would all be sorted asap.

:))
  • CreekyJoints
    CreekyJoints Member Posts: 6
    Options
    starburst wrote:
    Just wanted to say thank you and update on the situation.

I spoke to student services on Friday who referred me to learning support. I was assessed today. I will be allowed 50% extra time in exams which includes scheduled breaks for me to leave my desk and stretch my joints. I can use my laptop too. I have been allocated a tutor for extra support and have been given the option of extended deadlines where nessecary. Even better, I was told there is a type of software which is suitable for Maths. This would make my life so much easier. They apologised that I had to go and seek the help out myself but ensured it would all be sorted asap.

:))

So glad to know that you were able to get the extra time allotted. I think it's silly how persnickety teachers are when it comes to test taking. If you have a legitimate excuse for needing more time, these teachers feel the need to over analyze and investigate everything. I really don't feel like that's necessary. Unfortunately, most people will think you're making it up. You won't know what RA is like unless you've experienced RA.