Is Pigeon toed normal?

Options
dean76
dean76 Member Posts: 112
edited 23. Dec 2010, 16:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was born with a dislocated hip and pigeon toed, I wore spllints in my shoes till I was 5. When I was 28, it was discovered I have Hallux Valgus in both my feet, have had surgeries, orthotics, pysio, use a walking stick but nothing has helped. I am told although they agree that I have severe pains until something mechanical shows on an Xray their is nothing more that can be done till I am at least 65/70 years old. Seriously! The Surgeon said he has removed all traces of Osteo arthritis and so I dont have that anymore (this meant my DLA was denied). I didnt know you could get rid of arthritis but the DLA seem convinced with his decision. 3 appeals and they still say NO.

I got a second opinion to another hospital and was told exactly the same thing, nothing can be done at this stage on my feet.

Im now 33 and on Co codamol 30/500mg. My GP allows me to take Celebrex for 4 months a year; he wont allow it long term. The hospital say I should begin a rehabilitation programme because of the amount of falls I have. But the outreach centre wont let me start the programme because they usually only deal with 'elderly patients'.

A few months ago my ankles started to ache, alot more than my feet ever have and the joints lock as Im walking resulting in swelling. Relatives have started to notice that Im walking 'pigeon toed'. Coinicdental to them saying this because a few months ago I noticed that my ankles turn inwards when I lie down on my back or stomach. I cannot stand the pain in my ankles to gentlly place my ankles into the positions most peoples feet take. Is this normal? Or should I mention it to the GP?

Any advice, most appreciated.

Merry Christmas, Christina xxxxxxxx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am not a doctor but none of that sounds right to me. Surgery doesn't 'remove' OA (what was he on about?!) and becoming more pigeon-toed is obviously going to add more stress to your joints. You need to find someone more empathetic, methinks, but how one does that I have no idea. Something doesn't add up here, but as I am not a doc I don't know what. Do you need to see a podiatrist, or a physio? I don't think your GP is speicalised enough, perhaps he could refer you to someone. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I am not a doctor but none of that sounds right to me. Surgery doesn't 'remove' OA (what was he on about?!) and becoming more pigeon-toed is obviously going to add more stress to your joints. You need to find someone more empathetic, methinks, but how one does that I have no idea. Something doesn't add up here, but as I am not a doc I don't know what. Do you need to see a podiatrist, or a physio? I don't think your GP is speicalised enough, perhaps he could refer you to someone. I wish you well. DD

Many thanks for the reply. The surgeon told my mum and my GP that the surgeries had removed all of the OA. So at the moment I no longer have it. Hence the DLA gave as their reasons for knocking me back four times. This is the information they say they use to make their decision.

Your right in suggesting a pysio, I willa sk my GP to refer me too one. I really appreciate the response.

Merry Christmas.

Christina x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    hi Christina

poor you x:( maybe he had removed it FOR NOW in his opinion, but you should get to the GPs next time they are swollen so you can get referred for that physio or podiatry.

Love

toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Christina,

I have had a lot of oa removed from both my feet and spine. It comes back and for the small bones there isn't much they can do but at least chipping some out does help.

I guess joint replacements does mean its been removed? Tis all in wording though and there is only so much chipping they can do, or so I was told. I know my feet have been done 3x a piece and they wont do another as yet and the back was a one off.

Its only ever slowed the oa down and might have helped weaken some bits depending on who you see.

I think you do need some help to correct the pigeon toed thing. I not sure what it means but know I have been told it over and over but for me its pain in the knees as much as the feet...... and years of dressage ridding.

Have you got a kind gp you can talk it through with? What ever they dd when your were younger is too long ago now to be that relevant and the small bone inflammation mayn't show up on xrays?

The ankles you do need to get looked at cus if you had oa in your feet it makes sense its moved to the next joint via either cus that's what it does or cus its all out of line due to the feet hurting and not weight bearing properly.

Soft tissue doesn't show on xrays but still hurts flower so see if you can get to see a sympathetic gp and talk it all over with them is about all I can think. Physio might help as well or the podontist. Good luck and let us know lease? Cris x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Dean,

I too was born with dislocated hips (corrected by surgery) and hallux valgus developed in my teens. I had my feet operated on - sucessfully - though now in my early go wonky again. I also developed flat feet and my feet overly lean in - I wear orthotics to correct this and the leg length discrepancy that resulted from a THR at 30.

Services are definitely geared more to older patients for OA and having a sympathetic ortho is essential. Do you manage to work? My GP always used the fact that I was struggling to work to get me treatment.

The crumbling particles of bone caused by OA can be removed I suppose - but that will leave mishapen joints which will continue to grind and continue to wear and tear .... so no the OA is not gone!

Have you had x rays recently to check on your hip? If it is semi dislocated (both of mine did this in my mid 20's) then the rest of your body will be compensating and this could be adding to your problems with your feet.

I would definitely see a physio and also request an ortho referral to a different ortho - if possible one who is interested in the problems presented by young patients. Is your current consultant the one you have always had? When did you last have your orthotics reviewed?

Speedy

When I was 28, it was discovered I have Hallux Valgus in both my feet, have had surgeries, orthotics, pysio, use a walking stick but nothing has helped. I am told although they agree that I have severe pains until something mechanical shows on an Xray their is nothing more that can be done till I am at least 65/70 years old. Seriously! The Surgeon said he has removed all traces of Osteo arthritis and so I dont have that anymore (this meant my DLA was denied). I didnt know you could get rid of arthritis but the DLA seem convinced with his decision. 3 appeals and they still say NO.

I got a second opinion to another hospital and was told exactly the same thing, nothing can be done at this stage on my feet.

Im now 33 and on Co codamol 30/500mg. My GP allows me to take Celebrex for 4 months a year; he wont allow it long term. The hospital say I should begin a rehabilitation programme because of the amount of falls I have. But the outreach centre wont let me start the programme because they usually only deal with 'elderly patients'.

A few months ago my ankles started to ache, alot more than my feet ever have and the joints lock as Im walking resulting in swelling. Relatives have started to notice that Im walking 'pigeon toed'. Coinicdental to them saying this because a few months ago I noticed that my ankles turn inwards when I lie down on my back or stomach. I cannot stand the pain in my ankles to gentlly place my ankles into the positions most peoples feet take. Is this normal? Or should I mention it to the GP?

Any advice, most appreciated.

Merry Christmas, Christina xxxxxxxx[/quote]
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.