Quick Question...

PamieAFC1903
PamieAFC1903 Member Posts: 899
edited 26. Dec 2010, 18:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just bought a knee brace to help with my knee and the pain, I am wondering if anyone else uses one and if they find it helpful when walking and playing sport. I am asking as I am keen to start rowing again, especially for if I get into College/Uni in Aberdeen so I can join the Rowing Squad.
I ♥ Runrig.

I live, sleep, eat and breathe Runrig!!!!!.

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Pamie

I have just replied to your post on "say hello" forum.

I don't have any experience of using a knee brace I'm afraid, but I'm sure there will be someone along soon who does. You sound as if you are very sporty and I am VERY impressed by anyone who can row! Even before I developed RA I wouldn't have been able to row cos my co-ordination is appalling! I would sink the boat I reckon! :shock:

Love Tilly xxx
  • PamieAFC1903
    Thank you Tilly.

Rowing is quite easy when you have two rowers cause if you make a mild mistake, such as row to fast, the second person makes up for it.

I may have to have surgery on my elbow (i fell in the snow last year) before I can start again, but I am really looking forward to get back into the sport.

And yes I am quite sporty, I used to play football and netball in school, and rowed for my local club. But the HMS/Athritis has kind of halted that for the time being.
    I ♥ Runrig.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi, I used to wear knee supports to help with walking but I don't now as they tend to make your muscles a little lazy and now that I have so many more affected joints walking is nearly a thing of the past. I wish you well in your sporty endeavours - there is also a little twinge of envy but that will pass! I hope you have enjoyed your Christmas day. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • PamieAFC1903
    Hi DD, thanks for your input, I think I will wear it to help things along.

Christmas has been ok, not great this time of year due to loosing my Grandparents around Xmas. But I am coping.
    I ♥ Runrig.

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi again Pamie.. Hope you're well tonight?
    I used to wear a knee brace on my left (the worse of the two) knee, one of the neoprene things with the hole in for the knee cap, great support but I got very dependant on it fairly quickly and I ended up having to wear it all the time. It took a long time before I could walk without it properly so try not to use it all the time, as DD said above, I have lost a lot of the muscle in my upper leg now.. And I'm stuck that way as I can't really excersise enough to get it back due to arthur in my knees and spine...
    Hope the advice helps :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Pamie,

Haven't done a brace for my knees just supports and bandaged now and then BUT was in a back brae for over a year...... Helped and made the recovery safer (I am inclined to push my luck a bit and back then really did)

There was a pay off though flower..... took me a very long time to get the muscles back and that's what you have to watch out for cus the better the Muscle (I'm told) the less painful and the better the joint works.

I so hope you can get back t the rowing and good luck re the Uni. Nice to meet you and maybe wear a brace when your doing high usage but don't in between? Cris x
  • PamieAFC1903
    It does thank you. Ironically it's my left knee that's bothering me, I am only planning to wear it when I am travelling as when I'm on a bus or train with my knee bent its worse, but my knees do hurt when I am walking for a bit.

tjt6768 wrote:
    Hi again Pamie.. Hope you're well tonight?
    I used to wear a knee brace on my left (the worse of the two) knee, one of the neoprene things with the hole in for the knee cap, great support but I got very dependant on it fairly quickly and I ended up having to wear it all the time. It took a long time before I could walk without it properly so try not to use it all the time, as DD said above, I have lost a lot of the muscle in my upper leg now.. And I'm stuck that way as I can't really excersise enough to get it back due to arthur in my knees and spine...
    Hope the advice helps :))
    I ♥ Runrig.

• PamieAFC1903
    Thanks for your input Cris. I really appreciate it.

Like I have already said, only really planning to wear it when travelling as I do alot of it to and from Aberdeen with the football and other stuff.

I already wear a elbow support/brace when my elbow is in agony and it helps.

skezier wrote:
    Hi Pamie,

Haven't done a brace for my knees just supports and bandaged now and then BUT was in a back brae for over a year...... Helped and made the recovery safer (I am inclined to push my luck a bit and back then really did)

There was a pay off though flower..... took me a very long time to get the muscles back and that's what you have to watch out for cus the better the Muscle (I'm told) the less painful and the better the joint works.

I so hope you can get back t the rowing and good luck re the Uni. Nice to meet you and maybe wear a brace when your doing high usage but don't in between? Cris x
    I ♥ Runrig.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi pammie :))

welcome from me!

Sounds like you plan to be sensible with it and oinly suse it when you need to.....

I do hope it enables you to get rowing again.

Good to meet you

Love

toni xx
  • Bookseverywhere
    Bookseverywhere Member Posts: 196
    Hello Pamie, and welcome from someone else who lives in Scotland (in my case in the north west Highlands). Can't help you much with the knee brace as I have not thus far had one, but hope it works for you.

However, I would also like to commiserate with you on you being an Aberdeen supporter - as someone who follows Celtic! :wink:

Seriously, I hope you are able to take up rowing again. The only two sports I have played are cricket and golf, and the only one I played competitively was cricket. Now I just watch it and have become an armchair pundit.

Best wishes,
    Kevin.
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Hi Pammie,

Greetings from an Aberdonian! Was born and brought up in the Granite City and now live 18 miles West of there.

I'm another who became a tad dependant on my tubie grip support! I had quite a lot of muscle wastage as a result but over the years, that has returned. I'm sure it would be of great help to you when needed - but if thoughts of keeping it on 24/7 creep in to your head - let us know!

Have you access to a physio? I'm with a rheummy at Woolmanhill and through her, I've seen a physio at ARI who was very helpful - I'm sure they'd be able to answer any questions about knee supports and exercise.

Lois x
  • PamieAFC1903
    I'm living in Fife the now after moving alot with my dad being in the RAF, but the physio here is diabolical, always rushes through the treatment. I had ultrasound physio on my elbow and it didn't work, so looks like Surgery for it. I'm planning to see if the Fife Institute of Sport & Fitness still has a Sports Injuries clinic and see if I can attend there.

If I do start rowing when I still have pain no doubts I will wear it then, I'm also now in training for a marathon (my mate has kindly put me forward for it) in New York in November, so looks like I may be visiting my GP soon to speak about the pain any way.

Just wanting to wear it when I'm in pain. I promise I wont wear it all the time. I've done well with my elbow support (mainly because I forget to take it with me when I go away) and don't use it all the time.
    wibberley wrote:
    Hi Pammie,

Greetings from an Aberdonian! Was born and brought up in the Granite City and now live 18 miles West of there.

I'm another who became a tad dependant on my tubie grip support! I had quite a lot of muscle wastage as a result but over the years, that has returned. I'm sure it would be of great help to you when needed - but if thoughts of keeping it on 24/7 creep in to your head - let us know!

Have you access to a physio? I'm with a rheummy at Woolmanhill and through her, I've seen a physio at ARI who was very helpful - I'm sure they'd be able to answer any questions about knee supports and exercise.

Lois x
    I ♥ Runrig.

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    :o The nearest I get to a marathon is when I eat one :lol: And they've even changed the name now to blooming snickers.. I still call it a marathon though, especially when asking for one in the shops, haha....
    Best of luck with it all :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • PamieAFC1903
    Haha, thanks... I will need it. I'm asthmatic so he may be giving me a piggy back haha.
    I ♥ Runrig.