prickly skin

susanpollard
susanpollard Member Posts: 14
edited 31. Jan 2011, 15:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI everyone
I do hope you can help me, I have Osteoarthritis and suspected RA, symptems are endless but my new one is driving me mad, ive developed really prickly skin like pin pricks and its totally doing my head in! Have just been to Boots, they recommended E45 but it hasnt done a scrap of good, its possible my doc says I have sjrodrens as I have dry eyes and mouth, but this itchyness is the worse thing ive experienced, I dont have a rash, just inner prickles, please help!
kind regards
Sue Pollard

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry Sue can't help much but just wanted to say Hi.

Would a cool bath help?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • susanpollard
    lindalegs wrote:
    Sorry Sue can't help much but just wanted to say Hi.

Would a cool bath help?
    Hi linda
    Yeah might give that a go actually, havent spoken to you for absolutely ages on here, i keep forgetting my password! x:roll:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sue,

Like Legs I can't really help but wanted to say Hi and welcome :grin:

I d get incredibly itchy legs as a prelude to the crohn's going off on one but I don't get any rash as such. Its about 6 weeks worth and drives me up the wall.... I lather mine in which hazel but weather it helps or not... the jury is still out on :wink:

I hope it will soon stop for you. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • susanpollard
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Sue,

I d get incredibly itchy legs as a prelude to the crohn's going off on one but I don't get any rash as such. Its about 6 weeks worth and drives me up the wall.... I lather mine in which hazel but weather it helps or not... the jury is still out on :wink:

skezier wrote:
    Hi Sue,

Thanks Cris x x
  • Chinup
    Chinup Member Posts: 68
    Hi Sue

I have the same as you, I know what you are going through, I find mine (legs) are worse at night behind the knees and from my knees down, I also find them worse when I have a shower or bath, saw the doc a few weeks ago as I am scratching tilll they bleed, he prescriped a cream, which no chemist can get hold of, they said it is a special which has to be made up, I tried three chemist and none can get hold of it, so will be going back to docs. take care x Di
  • sunnyhours
    sunnyhours Member Posts: 151
    No chemist will have it, but if you try to find a compounding pharmacy they'll make the cream for you :) these pharmacies are pretty rare though, but they do exist!
    Good luck, Fred ;)
  • Chinup
    Chinup Member Posts: 68
    Thanks Fred, must admit I have never heard of such a chemist, the other chemist did tell me it is some type of cream made up out of two or more special creams. Will do a google search now. Di x
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Hi , Sue , have you tried good old Eurax cream ? It helps me a little . Jilly
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    :roll: :o x:P I know it won't be original but hi de hi Sue.. Have you tried oilatum? You can get it to put on in the shower. It's about the only thing that eases my eczema on my legs.. It's available on prescription..

Hope you find something that works,

Be well :))
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Hi Sue , I have not got RA but i do get a itchy skin it is on my left arm there are a couple of spots that came up and stayed there i am going to see doctor in january and was going to ask about it . hope you sort it ......jilly
  • PamieAFC1903
    PamieAFC1903 Member Posts: 899
    I get prickly skin alot, mainly when I am lying on a nerve though, but in the random outbursts I get, I asked my mum (She's a trained General Nurse and now probably wishes she wasn't) and she told me it is like the blood flow through your body, I don't know if she said it to keep me from panicking or not.
    I ♥ Runrig.

I live, sleep, eat and breathe Runrig!!!!!.
  • hidehi
    hidehi Member Posts: 18
    Thanks guys for all of your help,it's nice to know that there is help out there from you all, you give better advise than the doctors!

Just been diagnosed with fibromalgia today, goodness me, what else eh!!

thanks again

Sue :grin:
  • hidehi
    tjt6768 wrote:
    :roll: :o x:P I know it won't be original but hi de hi Sue.. Have you tried oilatum? You can get it to put on in the shower. It's about the only thing that eases my eczema on my legs.. It's available on prescription..

Hope you find something that works,

Be well :))

Thanks Toni, ha im not the original Sue pollard(thank goodness) but ive got her bubbly sense of humour, some of my pals came to my wedding dressed in red coats!! ha, Thank for the advise, really really appreciate it.

Sue xx
  • hidehi
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Sue,

Hi Cris,
    sorry for late response, I have trouble getting on here for some reason. I have to email the arthritis group all the time for my password. How do you use the Which Hazel and where do you get it from if you dont mind my asking?
    how does Crohn's affect you? I hope you are ok

sue xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You buy witch hazel from the chemist, around here it's about £1.25 for 250ml and I apply it with cotton wool pads, liberally soaked and left in place for a while. It soothes skin, can be used as a cleanser, and I prefer it for bruises rather than arnica. I suspect on broken skin it might sting a little, so be careful! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • allpoyntz
    allpoyntz Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. Am new to this forum so please forgive any errors. I had a hip repalcement just over 12 weeks ago. All was well until about 3 weeks ago when I developed itchy ankles and legs. The operated hip side is worse. It drives me nuts! Have been to the docs on three occassions resulting in blood tests, the usual blood pressure and pulse checks and a chest X-ray. All proved fine.
    I have been prescribed E45, then a stronger version plus anti-thingy tablets, all to no avail. Am now on a new cream. Doc seems to think it is related to blood circulation and fluid etc, and will eventually go. Another medical friend suggests it's healing of the nerve ends. The prickly sensation seems to be from under the skin but I do have red patchy areas on my legs - probably from scratching!
    Has anybody any ideas?
    Looking forward to hearing from fellow skin scratchers.
    Paul
  • dreamdaisy
    Nerve endings tingle as they repair themselves, but that would be on the site of the wound, not on your legs. Do you have any actual rash where you haven't scratched, is the skin raised at all, are there any blisters or peeling? Is your skin hot to the touch? Keep your legs cool and moisturised, and if you must scratch wear gloves: you do not need broken skin and the risk of infection now, do you? :smile: It could be an allergy to washing powder perhaps, have you changed anything in your diet recently? DD
  • allpoyntz
    allpoyntz Member Posts: 2
    Hi there. That was a quick response! There is a bit of a rash (slightly raised) in the red patches but that might be as a result of scratching or 'rubbing'. There has been no change of diet and no new washing powders, etc. The doc has said to go back in 4 weeks (3 now) if the condition remains. I have tried to get in touch with the Surgeon Consultant or a member of his team to see what they suggest. I have been asked to ring back tomorrow and will post the outcome.
    Thanks for the gloves idea when scratching but trouble is it doesn't go away and itches the more I scratch (or rub). Must just have to use mind over matter and grin and bear it - or just scream!!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Having spent a childhood riddled with eczema (I won't tell you what my mum did, she would be done nowadays for cruelty) I can really empathise. I never considered something really scratched until blood had been drawn - still don't! :smile: Another forum member developed an 'allergy' to his dissolvable stitches (they didn't dissolve) and that unsettled his new hip but that made sense as that was where the stitches were. Slather them with moisturiser - a good one is aqueous cream, it is not scented and does not have any lanolin in it, you can also wash with it as well as rub it in! You can get it from chemists (not B**ts, they charge the earth) a big tub is anywhere between £2.75 - £3.80 round here (which is Suffolk). Mr DD uses it in the shower - :shock: DD