Could I have JIA

Lauren.-321
Lauren.-321 Member Posts: 41
edited 26. Feb 2011, 17:22 in Young people's community
Hi, I'm Lauren.

I'm 15 years old and have been suffering from pain in my knees for the last two years. It's gotten worse in the last 6 months and I've been having really trouble with my hips as well. I've also had a sore back and neck, and my hands sometimes too. My knees sometimes swell a little but not that much. Though sometimes they can be warm when I touch them. I never thought I could had arthritis, though, until my GP mentioned it at an appointment last week. I rarely do to the doctors but I've been there three times since last summer and they've said every time to come back if the pain kept on. I've been on the NHS website and I'm really worrying myself about it. I've never had trouble sleeping before until this week and everything has been worse, but I'm sure it's all in my head! There is also the fact that I cant find anything else that explains my symptoms at all!

I'm posting this to see if anyone thinks I could have JIA, because I don't think I can wait a fortnight to find out there is no chance!

Thankyou :)
Lauren 8)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Morning Lauren, I hope things are as OK with you today as they can be. We cannot diagnose you, we don't know your medical history and there is also the small point that we ain't doctors! :smile: Does anyone else in your family have some form of arthritis? It does run in families, tho sometimes someone gets a genetic short-straw and starts it all by themselves. You are naming some of the clsssic joints that are involved, and the symptoms sound familiar but I think you have to go to your doctor and talk to him about this. Don't rely on interweb for info: so much stuff on there is innacurate or just downright wrong. Go and see your doc, tell him your suspicion about the cause of the pain and let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    Hi Lauren, I'm Stephanie and I'm 18 years old. I've had JIA since I was 4/5. I know how stressed and worried you must be, as said before, we can't exactly diagnose you but just give you some advice. Talk to your GP and ask them to do some tests. Until then, although I know this will be hard, try to relax and not think about things too much. You can always message me if you want to ask any questions. Hope you feel better and get the answers you need soon.

Best wishes,
    Steph
    X
  • Lauren.-321
    Thank you both for your advice!

My Gran has arthritis, but my mum said she has osteo-arthritis which I hear doesn't really count? My mum phoned the doctor on Friday about the blood tests I had done and he said it was clear, but I honestly don't know what he was testing for? It was my doctor that mentioned JIA and we've to arrange another appointment after the x-ray results are in at the end of this week. I have been reading up about symptoms on the internet, and I know there not always right, but it says that your joints can swell, go pink and warm. This is why I'm worried because this has happened to me! Also, I really don't know what else it could be.

Thank you both so much for your advice!
    Lauren x
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Good grief! Of course OA counts, it's arthritis. It is often written off as the 'wear and tear' form of this pestilence (which is hugely dismissive in itself) but for crying out loud it hurts, it's as destructive as any other form of this disease. Ummm, I am tired and struggling, but I think you are right to be concerned. I hope to be more constructive tomorrow. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Sorry I think you picked me up wrong, when we were at the doctors he asked if there was arthritis in the family and when I said about my Gran my mum said that it wasn't the same because it was a different kind of arthritis :) I know what you are sayiond thouhg!

Thank you!
    Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh I see, sorry, but even tho it is a different form of it I still think it's pertinent. Keep in touch, let us know how you get on and what you find out. I wish you well. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Ok, thank you! I will, thanks so much for the advice!

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    You are more than welcome, but I haven't done that much! Take care, and keep as well as you can. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Just though I'd post a wee update:

I have an appointment with me GP on Monday to see the results from the x-rays on my knees. But they said when my mum phoned for the results (which had to be done between 1 and 2) That she was to make an appointment, but they then said they couldn't make the appointment until she phoned for a phone consultations (between 3 and 6) so she got on to a really unhelpful GP that I went to before and he basically gave me ibuprofen and told me it would go away. Anyway, he told her that my right knee is find but my left knee isn't, though he wouldn't tell her what was up? Anyway, it's my right knee that keeps swelling up and getting sore at the moment? Also, my blood tests came back clear, for what though I have no idea.

Does any one have any advice on what to ask the doctor? I always get really nervous and just feel like I'm moaning! But I want to find up what's wrong with me!!!! And it's only getting worse :???:

Thanks, Lauren xxx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Make a list of what hurts and when, how long it has been happening for, what helps it (if anything) and what aggravates it (walking etc). Note any pain relief you are taking and ask directly whether it could be a form of arthritis. Just hand him the list when you walk in (keep a copy for yourself too) and make a note of any answers he gives you. Let us know how you get on. Take care. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Thank you, I'll do that!

lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    I think that giving them something to read often has more impact than just conversation, and it also gives you time to 'plan' what it is that you really need to say. Conversations often wander from the point - the number of times I've left the consulting room and thought 'Damn! I didn't mention . . . ' but I have the excuse of being an absent-minded old woman. I also think I need to clarify my earlier instructions - don't just gracelessly shove said notes into his hand, say hello as well! :smile: Good luck, I will be thinking of you. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Yea, I'm just sitting writing it now, thanks :)

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    I hope you have been to see your GP and that he could help in some way - I have been thinking of you and I hope it went well. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Thank you so much!~ I have been referred to orthopaedics because he thinks its more likely to be a 'mechanical' problem. And apparently the x-rays were 'borderline satisfactory'. Though i forgot the list I wrote :oops: I spoke him through it all.

Thank you

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh dear, after all your hard work! OK, let's hope that appointment comes thro soon and that they can sort something out for you. I kicked off with orthopaedics many moons ago and helpful they were too. Let me know when you hear, please, and keep the list going - the orthos could also find it helpful, especially if you take it with you! DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Yea, haha, I was shattered this morning I forgot half of my school stuff too! I will post here when I hear anything and keep adding things to my list!

Unfortunately, my mum broke her ankle today so I'll be looking after her and doing the house work for the next month or two!

Thanks,

Lauren xxx
    Lauren 8)
  • Lauren.-321
    Thank you, I won't my dad and brother are going to help more too: unfortunately only I can iron and do the washing? An hour or so a night wont kill me? eh? haha,

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • Lauren.-321
    Yea, he's only nine though! :lol: His duties will just to be to tidy up after himself :smile:
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh no Lauren, your poor mum! How did she do that? I agree with del, you take care of yourself too please, things are not right with you, this is on-going problem you have and you need to take care of yourself too. I agree that nine is a little young for some things, but he can certainly learn to tidy up after himself, organise his school things and help out with some chores. Is your mum at home or in hospital? DD
  • Lauren.-321
    Yea, my mum said she's going to send some ironing away to get done, thank goodness, I just done some and I probably shouldn't stand in the same place for an hour? Ohh well :/ She's at home but she can't do anything because if she puts and weight on her leg she might need an opperation.

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    I have to sit to do mine now, it's not very easy but it does help my knees, ankles and toes. Keep the ironing to the absolute minimum, and sit if you can. Your mum is obviously going to have to be careful - let me know how you are both getting on. I am thinking of you. DD
  • Lauren.-321
    I'll just do 45 minutes or so a night :smile: And thank you, I will!

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • Lauren.-321
    Just a wee question, sometimes when im walking mt knees sometimes feel like my bones are all rubbing against each other, kind of a grinding? It's only sometimes.. I can't really explain it.. but, yea?

Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    That does sound familiar with arthritis, I don't have that sort of problem but I know that others do. Perhaps you could post that on the LWA forum and see if anyone recognises that symptom. I hope things are easier today. DD