hello

BoleynBlue
BoleynBlue Member Posts: 40
edited 18. Jan 2011, 16:45 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all, I am new to this forum and was diagnosed with what my Doctor now believes is Gout four months ago.

For over ten years I have suffered with pain in my hip and back, the pain would always move around and my Doctors would tell me that the pain I have was caused by poor posture, despite blood tests revealing inflammation.
I joined a new Doctor Six months ago after having a new bout of pain in my hip, the Doctor told me that enough was enough, as he could see from my records that this was a long term problem for me. after ordering more blood tests he told me that he believes I have gout and has put me on Allopurinol.
I have not seen any difference yet as I am still getting pain, and this has got to the stage now where I am in pain every day, getting in and out of bed is particulary bad.

I dont think that this will ever go now, and some days I find it really hard to cope with the pain, and I feel as though I cant do the things I really enjoy such as walking, gardening etc my daughter wants us to learn to horse ride together which is a definate no no for me.

I hope to chat to you all soon

BoleynBlue xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh dear, never-ending pain is demoralising, I know that feeling well. Welcome, BoleynBlue, my husband has the occasional bout of gout in his big toe and a dose of diclofenac puts him right: I have heard of your med but I cannot for the life of me remember in what context. When did you start this and what is the dose? It's all well and good giving you a new med to help but did he give you any idea about the timescale of a possible improvement? What about some decent pain relief too? You don't mention whether you are taking anything or not - if not, go and see him and ask about the options: what is the point in living with the pain if you can find a decent pain duller to take off the edge? Life will become more comfortable and you may well be able to do the things you want, rather than sticking to the things you can. There is a big difference. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BoleynBlue
    Hi dream daisy, I am taking diclofenic and the Allopurinol is 300mg, I am not sure how high that dosage can go.

Strangely I have never had pain in my toes, although a few weeks ago for the first time I had pain in my ankle, Usually the pain is in my hips and I can often feel them clunking and clicking when I walk.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I have to say that that does not sound like gout to me, that sounds much more like an OA-type problem but - and I will shout the next bit - I AM NOT A DOC. :smile: I thought that gout usually went for the smaller joints in the body, not the bigger ones. Right, so you are on diclo (anti-inflammatory) and the allopurinol is meant to do what exactly? I think you should re-post on LWA, that's the living with arthritis forum, and tell your story again - more people look in on that forum and they may have some much better answers for you, some might even be taking the allo than I can provide. I have PA (psoriatic arthritis, a very different beast to OA) and am on very different meds, but hell hon, I do know about pain and the deleterious effects it can have. I now have to go and watch the telly, that's my rest time before creating havoc in the kitchen, an acitivity some call cooking and I call cremating. Tonight I will be burning bangers and ratatouille. Wish me luck - I will be back later, I might 'see' you about. It's lovely to meet you, I hope you find the forum helpful. Oh, that's a thought, you could try ringing the helpline for a direct chat, or post them a question on the helpline thread. They will answer, either way. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BoleynBlue
    Thanks I will re post on that forum x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    welcome from me too hun..... hope you are well tonight?

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP