Hi from Caroline (just starting MTX & Folic Acid) advice?

caroline23red
caroline23red Member Posts: 6
edited 29. Jan 2011, 03:46 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
Looking through the site, I had to join, so frightened and now a bit more reassured.

Had Xrays/blood test back in Oct. Was given prescription then, only picked up drugs today!

Was trying to fight pain with Dicolfenac, Paracetmol, Bu Tran patch and sometimes Tramadol, still in so much pain :???:

Xray showed no problem with joint, although so stiff in fingers (left hand, some right) wrists, painful shoulder and pain so bad in left foot have had trouble walking for the last month.

I have tried to convince myself that it is not RA, some blood tests have shown positive, some negative.

Will take the MTX tonight, and Folic Acid every day from tomorrow (have been told to take FA every day except MTX day). Also told that it is ok to continue with the Diclofenac (although have read on the web, might not be advisable, so confused).

Wish me luck.... :grin:

Caroline

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello caroline, it's nice to meet you. I have been on injected meth for years - my dose is 15ml (the liquid is more potent than the tablets) - what dose are you starting on? I also have folic acid, but only take one 5mg tablet two days after the injection. You seem to be a on a high dose of FA, do you know why? I have psoriatic arthritis (PA), it's like RA but with the added benefit of unpleasant skin from time to time - I am also on a few more drugs than you as I am shortly starting my 15th year of this rubbish. My PA is what is known as a sero-negative arthritis, ie my bloods are not positive for rheumatoid factor but they used to show high levels of inflammation. Thanks to the meds this is no longer the case, but that is the only bright spot.

I wish you well - don't take too much notice of what you read on tinterweb about the meds etc - talk to us, we know our stuff and can guide you thro the minefield that is living with arthritis. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caroline23red
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hello caroline, it's nice to meet you. I have been on injected meth for years - my dose is 15ml (the liquid is more potent than the tablets) - what dose are you starting on? I also have folic acid, but only take one 5mg tablet two days after the injection. You seem to be a on a high dose of FA, do you know why? I have psoriatic arthritis (PA), it's like RA but with the added benefit of unpleasant skin from time to time - I am also on a few more drugs than you as I am shortly starting my 15th year of this rubbish. My PA is what is known as a sero-negative arthritis, ie my bloods are not positive for rheumatoid factor but they used to show high levels of inflammation. Thanks to the meds this is no longer the case, but that is the only bright spot.

I wish you well - don't take too much notice of what you read on tinterweb about the meds etc - talk to us, we know our stuff and can guide you thro the minefield that is living with arthritis. DD
    Thanks for your help. I am starting on 10mg of Meth, tablet. Not sure why so much FA 5mg per day. My GP originally thought I didn't have Inflamatory Athritis, because pain in mainly on my left side, shoulder, hand, ankle, nothing much on my right (just little finger), also original blood test showed low RA factor and has since shown nothing, but other blood tests, which mean nothing to me show anti CCP is 236U/ml, ANA were positive at 1:80 and CRP low at 2.6, Haemoglobin slightly low 10.5 but ESR raised at 25. Really don't know if this is good or bad, just reading it from the letter to my GP!
  • dreamdaisy
    CRP and ESR are inflammatory markers in the blood, they should ideally be between 0 and 10, I think. Mine were always much higher, anywhere between the 40s and 170s. Obviously they want to reduce the ESR, hence the meth. I still think the FA is a tad overdone tho - you could try posting again on the LWA forum, see if anyone else is on such a high dose. (One or two spring to mind, they may not see you on here but they might on there). I have to go to work now, I will be back later. If you have any questions post them on here for me, I will check later. Honestly, you can ask me anything - if I cannot answer I will try to point you towards someone who can. DD
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Welcome Caroline
    Sorry that you have problems but I am new here myself and DD is right. whatever you need to know or any support that you need this is where you need to come to.
    I have only been here a few days but already have made new contacts who I really feel are new friends who I know will be able to offer support and guidance if I need it.

Cath
  • jacqmun
    jacqmun Member Posts: 65
    Hi Caroline :smile:
    Nice to meet you, they're all a great bunch here, very informative and I hasten to add knowledgeable :???:
    There is not a question asked that someone hasn't had some experience with. :smile:
    Wishing you well
    Jacqui x
    When it rains, look for rainbows. When it's dark, look for stars
  • caroline23red
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    CRP and ESR are inflammatory markers in the blood, they should ideally be between 0 and 10, I think. Mine were always much higher, anywhere between the 40s and 170s. Obviously they want to reduce the ESR, hence the meth. I still think the FA is a tad overdone tho - you could try posting again on the LWA forum, see if anyone else is on such a high dose. (One or two spring to mind, they may not see you on here but they might on there). I have to go to work now, I will be back later. If you have any questions post them on here for me, I will check later. Honestly, you can ask me anything - if I cannot answer I will try to point you towards someone who can. DD

Hi, can you let me know what LWA stands for? Thanks
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    welcome from me too Caroline.. Hope you are not suffering too much tonight..
    I'm just about packing in for the night as my hands are bloody killing.. Lol
    Hope you enjoy the forum..

Lwa is the living with arthritis section on here... It's the best place for questions etc.... Very helpful place to post your queries.
    The chit chat section is great for a bit of a chin wag etc..

Catch you soon,
    Be well :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Sorry! LWA = Living with Arthritis, that's the forum for questions about meds/treatment/side effects/appointments/what's wrong with dodding soctors etc etc etc. The haemoglobin could indicate that you are mildly anaemic (quite a few of us are, a course of iron tablets usually sorts that) You should also be given a methotrexate treatment booklet, in which your blood test results are entered. I didn't have one for years, I only found out about it from the forum. DD