right thumb problems

donjohn
donjohn Member Posts: 20
Dear Forum
I am new memeber and hope that someone may be answer my query. I have osteoarthritis in my right thumb which was previoulsy kept in check with cortisone injections. The last two of these were not effective however and I have been offered the following options of surgical remedies- injection under X ray into the remaining cartilidge' fusing two of the bones; the removal of the bone below the thumb joint; leave it alone and carry on as at present. I am not at all sure which way to go here and I would be most grateful to hear of the experiences of anyone who has had one of these treatments, particularly as to the limitations of use and/or flexibility of the thumb.

Regards

donjohn

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sorry donjon, not had this procedure, but I am sure that someone will be along to share their experience.Welcome to the site I am sure that you will find it helpful

Cath
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi donjohn,

Welcome to the forums, its not a bad place and over on LW forum there are a lot of good and kind folks who might have had the injections and be able to help you.

I don't know about the thumb but have had the xray ones into the myelin sheath in the back and neck and they were reasonable effective the first time for the neck but not much the next though the lumber did shut up for a bit ..... tis probably worth a try cus it might work but it might not ... i always think whats to lose trying these things but them i am totally ok with needles.... not least I can't see them as i am normally face down :wink:

Saying that the last neck jabs she did through the side.....

Anyway the helplines will be along soon but really I butted in to say welcome to the forums. Nice to meet you. Cris x
  • donjohn
    Hello Caterina and Skezier

Thank you for your welcome.

regards

Donjohn
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear donjohn

Thanks for your posting.

Apologies for not replying earlier, as we were really busy yesterday.

I’m sorry to hear about the difficulties you are experiencing with your thumb.

As skezier mentioned in her response, if you post this question on the Living with arthritis forum, there may be some people who have gone through this and can offer their experience.

The information we have on arthritis in the thumb is found within our factsheet on ‘Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist’ at http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=thumb and at http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis_information/arthritis_surgery/hand_and_wrist_surgery.aspx.

I hope this helps.

Please ring our helplines on 0808 800 4050 if you would like to have a chat, or need more information.

Regards

Nick
  • donjohn
    Hi Nick

Thanks to you and the others. I have re-posted on the LW forum and look forward to some responses there.

Regards

Donjohn