Gout with tophus

Horribletoe7
Horribletoe7 Member Posts: 5
edited 9. Feb 2011, 05:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning everyone
I have gout in my big toe. It flared up about two weeks ago. I have seen my doctor and I am on NSAIDs, pain killers, and anti-biotics. It is extremely painful with inflamation and swelling around foot up to ankle. I am soaking my foot in warm salt water as advised by my doctor, and when I'm not doing that I am resting with my foot elevated. There has been tophus coming out of the top of the toe and this increases when I bathe the foot. What I don't know is should I just let the tophus keep coming out and if so will it stop naturally or might it go on for ever! If I encourage the skin to heal over the tophus will remain inside - I'm just not sure what I should do. If anyone can help I would love to hear from you. Thanks.
Steve

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Morning Horribletoe7, gosh that does sound uncomfy (yes, I know, masterful understatement!) I am not a doc and don't know much about gout but I reckon if it's coming out, then let it do so: the 'tophus' is the actual crystals, yes? It won't do your joint any good whatsoever to have them contained within it, 'better out than in' would seem to be appropriate here, but if you are unsure then contact your GP. You are doing all the right things, you have the right meds and I hope it all eases soon. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Hello Steve and welcome :smile:

One of my "bestest friends" suffers from gout and I know how incredibly painful it can be. You have my every sympathy. The music hall jokes about bunions and gout are all erroneous, you don't have to be a bon viveur to suffer from gout! As your GP has probably explained it's an over production of uric acid by the body.

After a couple of years watching my friend suffer I persuaded her to ask her GP for a referral to a rheumatologist. Result :grin: Anti inflammatories have an adverse effect on her kidneys if taken over a long period and the rheumy has prescribed Allopurinol for her. So far with great success.

She too suffered with the tophus but now she's on the Allopurinol it's ceased.

Of course I'm not a doctor but knowing what a painful complaint gout is I hope my friend's experience may be of help to you in the future should the anti inflamms be ineffective.

Cherry x
  • Horribletoe7
    Hello Dreamdaisy and Cherrybim.
    Thank you both very much for your replies. Yes I agree with better out than in - I'm just wondering when it's going to stop ! But my GP seems quite happy with this and it is certainly a lot better than it was. In fact my GP said he had never seen such a nasty case of gout in all his career!
    I shall certainly ask him for Allopurinol - he did mention something about it but he said we will have to wait for the present acute flare up to heal.
    I appreciate your replies and sympathy!
    Regards Steve
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Steve, just thought I would drop in and say I hope that you heal soon.. Never had gout so can't say I know what you are going through matey, but best wishes..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    My best guess is it will stop when it's all gone! :grin: As to how long that will take, well, how long is a piece of string? Let us know how things progress, please - hopefully the next time we hear from you it will be with better news. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi steve
    don't know anything about gout but your discription does sound very painful and unpleasant.
    I hope the tabs you have been given start to help soon
    take care
    juliepf :smile:
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Stay with us Steve :lol:

We're all barrack room docs to one degree or another and we need more men on the forums :lol:

Tony's always up for a good laugh to encourage us all and DD keeps everyone focused and flying right :grin:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Steve

Gout is agonising I am told by my BIL who has had it for many years :sad:

I think you should be ok to carry on if you GP is ok with it. I beleive they only stop coming if the uric levels are low enought to stop them forming. I presume the GP is giving you something to lower the levels?

I wuld think the only real worry (apart from the agony!) would be the risk of infection? Are you seeing your GP regularly?

Love a totally sympathetic Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    A BIL is a brother-in-law (incase you need a de-coding!) Mr DD ocasionally has a bout of gout in his big toe but nothing like you are experiencing - a week on diclofenac sorts him out. He is a sucky lod, isn't he? DD
  • Horribletoe7
    Hello there

It is good to hear from you all and I really appreciate your advice and help. I have read through each one again.
    As I'm using my friend's computer I am not always able to send a quick reply.
    I will keep you updated.
    Today things are a lot better, my foot is completely back to normal shape now but there is still tophus coming out.
    I am seeing my GP tomorrow morning.

Thanks again and have a good afternoon.

Steve.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Steve, glad things seem better for you matey...
    Hope they continue to improve for ya.

Be well, look after yourself and keep us up to date.

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh that's better news - good luck, I hope things continue to improve. I wish you well. DD
  • frogmorton
    Hi Steve

I read the replies through myself more than once - isn't it lovely when complete strangers care?

Glad you are seeing the doc tomorrow - sounds like his plan is working so far.

Love

toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Hi beejay

Just a quick welcome to the forums from me.

Glad you straight away found a thread that was the same issue as yours!

I guess now then the main aim of your treatment by the nurse is to prevent the hole getting infected at all :???:

Love

Toni xx
  • Horribletoe7
    Hello again friends

Sorry it's been a while since you heard from me - I am using a friend's computer and I haven't been around at her house lately because it's difficult for me to get about.
    But the good news is that my foot is a lot better, my toe is still weeping but it's a lot more comfortable than it was last week and my GP says that he will put me on Allopurinol as soon as he feels the gout has healed enough, otherwise it could cause another attack or make this present attack worse.
    I have just started taking extract of Montmorency Cherries as I have heard that this might help. They were quite expensive but they are on special offer at Holland and Barrett - buy one and you get the other half price. I will let you know whether they help.
    I am looking forward to getting back to my allotment once the spring starts and my toe has healed.
    I hope that any of you who are sufferning will keep in good spirits.
    Thank you all once again for you advice and support.
    Steve (Not so 'Horrible Toe!')