Advice on nutritional supplements for my dance teacher?

countbasie
countbasie Member Posts: 5
edited 1. Feb 2011, 12:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,

I’m new here, so apologies if this has already been discussed. I searched but couldn’t find much on the forum on some of these specific nutrients. I’m just looking for some advice really.

[note – I've edited this since first posting to remove links, which I gather were being interpreted as advertisements. I really don't wish to advertise stuff that I'm not sure works in the first place]

My dance teacher is suffering from arthritis and it’s getting progressively worse. He’s in his late 40s and it’s getting more and more painful for him to move around at all, let alone dance. He’s been talking about hip resurfacing (instead of hip replacement), but it’s such a long time till he can get that done. I don't want him to be suffering so much (and, a bit selfishly, I want my dance teacher dancing again!)

He’s already tried a bunch of stuff including acupuncture, chiropractic, pressure tank and a diet change to remove all processed sugars. I wanted to see if anyone here had tried any of the nutritional supplements I’ve dug up and if you have any advice about supplements in general.

There seem to be lots of things with Chondroitin and Glucosamine, and they seem to be available easily. I’ve seen these mentioned in the forum.

There are fish oils, some of which claim to perform better than Glucosamine. And there are different sources, each of which seems to claim to be better than the others. Is it all Omega 3, basically? And is all Omega 3 equal or are any particular sources better than others?

I had a supplement suggested by a doctor – a combination nutritional supplement that contains Collagen Type II (a natural source of Amino Acids, Glucosaminoglycane like Glucosamine, Chondroitine and Hyaluronic acid), Methyl Sulfonyl Methane, Cellulose (capsule of plant origin), Magnesium Aspartate, microcrystalline cellulose, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Sulfate (from the shells of shrimps), Chondroitin Sulfate (from shark cartilage), Vitamin C, Zink Monomethionine, Manganese Gluconate, Cooper Gluconate, Vitamin B6 as Pyridoxine HCL, Boron.

Anyone have any experience with any of this stuff? Could it really help?

I’m not sure which way to go now. The supplements aren’t cheap and I’m generally unsure about the claims they’re making. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? And what should I look out for? Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Thanks for your help!

Captain Bill

Comments

• katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

I've only just joined and don't know how much help I can be but I'm a former ballet dancer (I'm now 40 years old) who has osteoarthritis of neck, spine, feet and I'm pretty sure in my hips. I have tried acupuncture and chiropractor both only relieved symptoms for a short time. Also because of my dancing I have hypermobility so my joints are still flexible but my muscles are struggling to support the joint - painful. I've tried all kinds of supplements but nothing seems to help - I still take cod liver oil in the hope I'm doing something good for my joints.

sorry couldn't be of more help.

Katie
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Well spotted Delboy,

I was just about to launch into the futililty of supplements :lol:

Despite how much we women moan about blokes we still need 'em don't we :lol:
  • countbasie
    edited 31. Jan 2011, 09:56
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses, all.

Katie, thanks so much for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Your note combined with Cherrybim's sort of confirm my fear that supplements don't really do anything helpful at all. I hope you can find something that does help.

Delboy, I'm sorry if you thought those were advertising links. I certainly don't wish to advertise those products. I'll see if I can edit my post to remove the links and ask about the ingredients more generally.

Cpt. Bill
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    They don't work. They 'help' those who don't have anything wrong but like to think they have, but for those who do have a real problem they are as much use as trying to dust your house with a wren's feather. I wish him well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    I now cannot get the image of lady DD dusting her house with a wren's feather.. :shock: :???: :lol::lol:

Sorry but I also think that they do nowt to help.... Then again, not much does really, haha..
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • countbasie
    Hi Dreamdaisy,

Thanks for your reply.

I guess supplements are useless then. And I detect a definite note of frustration with them in your reply. I can understand completely as there are just tons of them out there promising the earth and delivering nothing. They all claim to be the best thing ever, but I guess they're about as much use as homeopathy.

Bill
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    My friends husband thinks that Glucosamine definitely helps him with OA in one knee. He used to receive this on script from his gp but this is no longer available to him as it is not thought to be of benefit by the medics. He buys the Gluco now. It did nothing for my OA of both knees and I have had them both replaced.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • countbasie
    Thanks for the replies and perspective, everyone.

This seems like a really good forum with lots of sensible, helpful members (something of a rarity!)

Bill
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I will re-phrase that. My friends husband knows that Glucosamine definitely helps him with OA in one knee.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    elnafinn wrote:
    I will re-phrase that. My friends husband knows that Glucosamine definitely helps him with OA in one knee.

Elna

Must admit took them for years then forgot to take....then realised there was no difference to me. Hubby said they did not work for him. It is really great that it works for some people....everyone is different.
    Not sure but wasn't there something in the press about this in the last few months?????I do not think it was positive though.