MBST® Magnetic Resonance Therapy to treat Osteoarthritis

sturge8
sturge8 Member Posts: 164
edited 9. May 2013, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anyone tried this type of therapy, I am thinking of giving it a go in the new year, it costs in the region of £500 for a course of treatment, so as you can imagine I am quite skeptical. Any feedback is welcome. Thank you and merry Christmas

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi sturge

I haven't any experience, but will if you don't mind be interested in your experience.

A very Merry Christmas to you too :))

Love

toni xx
  • sturge8
    I've booked my 5 sessions and I begin my treatment 31st Jan. Total cost £445 which does include a physio assessment. I'll report back in March/April time with my results. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a total waste of time.
  • frogmorton
    Hi Sturge

I hope it's not a waste of time or money too, but want to wish you all the very best and will cross fingers for you that it works well.

Love

Toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Sturge, there's a sticky at the top of the page from AC, they want OA people. Have you got in touch? I don't know what it's for (I don't have OA so not relevant) but I think you do, yes? You never know, it could be interesting! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Good Luck! I hope it works for you. I know sometimes pain can make you feel you'd do anything to get it gone, so I really hope it works. Love Sue
  • annclare
    annclare Member Posts: 9
    Hi Sturge,

As a physiotherapist that has been using MBST to treat patients for sevaral years in the UK I thought I might give some reassurances.

Firstly glad to see you have opted fro treatment. I cannot obviously speak on behalf of the practitioner you are using but I have had great success using MBST to treat my patients.

Magnetic resonance therapy can be used to treat arthrtis, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.

I works by using weak magnetic fields to repair damage at a cellular level.

It has been used widely in Germany and Austria for over 20 years and there are several studies (unfortunately mostly in German) proving its effectiveness.

There is a lot of information on the net, just search for MBST or MBST therapy.

I would be interested to know the outcome of your treatment. Specifically your condition and area being treated. How many sessions have you been advised to take? Typically there are 9 1 hour treatments.

Some patients report beneficial results the next day but as a general rule improvements occur weeks or months after the treatment as cartilage rebuilds and bone density increases.

Look forward to hearing your results and good luck. Make sure you drink plenty of water before and during the treatment as this helps improve MBST’s effectiveness.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sturge,

I aways threaten to have magnets round my neck.... The vets put me on to it cu they work well in dogs... so do magnetic boots on horses actually...

Anyway I have a magnetic necklace now :grin: Almost very bit of it is magnetic :lol:

Does it help...... who knows but its not doing any harm and when I first put it on it got hot and i got light headed so you never know..... Keep Us posted Sturge. Cris x

Hi Ann Clare,

That was really interesting and certainly the magnetic boots for a horse and the one round dogs carotids help and that can't be psychosomatic..... Nice to meet you by the way. Cris x
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    I have a magnetic bracelet for my wrist! dont know wether it works!!

Good Luck!

Gxxxx
  • sturge8
    Hi Ann

I think we may have spoken on the phone a couple of times. Do you operate in a clinic south of england? My post traumatic oa is in my 1st met and ankle. When you say I need to drink plenty of water before during and after. How long for before and how long after? would you recommend no alcohol within these weeks or months?
  • annclare
    Hi all,

Firstly just to clarify, the system we use is called MBST rather than magnetic therapy.

Having MBST treatment is similar to having an MRI scan. It based on exactly the same technology as MRI imaging except there is less intensity of the magnetic resonance.

What is involved in a typical treatment?

A patient typically has 9 1 hour sessions over consecutive days. Having MBST is just like going for an MRI scan. The machine itself is quite large but slightly smaller than an MRI scanner.

osteoporose_4.jpg

Drinking water increases the effectiveness of the treatment. It is recomended to drink 2 litres of water a day during the course of the treatment. Also try to drink the same amount a week before and continue this for 6 weeks afterwards.

There is no specific advice about alcohol but with any medical treatment you should keep your alcohol intake low.

I may have spoken to you, are you the man from the Birmingham area?
  • sturge8
    Hi Ann, yes I live near Birmingham. I've found a nearer clinic to me that offer the same treatment you spoke about. So I have booked myself in next month. I'll keep you updated with my progress.
  • sturge8
    Hi to anyone following my posts regarding MBST therapy.

I went for my assessment with the physio yesterday and he regarded me as a good candidate for MBST therapy, because I still have a degree of cartilage left within my OA joints. Surviving cartilage is needed in order for the therapy to regenerate new cartilage in the damaged joints. After my assessment I began my MBST therapy, first session lasted 1 hour. I go back to the clinic everyday this week for an 1 hour long therapy session.

I was told to expect to feel the benefits of the therapy in 6-8 weeks time.

So I will of course let everyone know the outcome around march time.

Fingers crossed it works otherwise I have wasted hell of a lot of money.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good luck, I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    Sounds promising so far Sturge

As someone who has been watching your thread can I tell you I have everything crossed that will cross that it goes REALLY REALLY well

Love

toni xx
  • annclare
    Sturge,

What you have said about having to have some cartilage remaining for the treatment to work is correct.

It is the successive treatments that have the cumulative effect.

It is important to have an assessment as not everyone is suitable for MBST meaning there is no point in administering the treatment if it is not going to benefit the patient.

Some people experience an improvement after the first session however it is more normal for the effects to start showing some weeks later.

MBST continues to have a healing effect for months after the treatment.

It is your own body that is stimulated into regenerating itself. The actual science behind it is very interesting.

If the moderators do not mind I have added a link to a page on my site that lists some of the studies and research that has been carried out.

http://www.clarehousephysio.co.uk/mbst-published-research.php

Sturge, continue to drink plenty of water. Has your physio suggested any physical activity or exercise? I think you will find the research particularly motivating/interesting.

It would be great if you could write about your progress, your improvement in mobility and improvement in pain.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi Sturge
    Just been reading your post with interest as i have not heard of this treatment. Still I have RA and it doesn't apply to me but I do find these things interesting.
    I do hope you find the treatment works
    I wish you luck
    Please let us know how your first session goes
    juliepf x
  • sturge8
    Hi Anneclare

Thank you for showing such a genuine interest into my MBST therapy.

My treatment is for my right ankle and big toe. I asked the people at my clinic regarding exercises and they said I didn't really need to do any. If you disagree with them, please can you suggest some for me?

My last day of treatment is today. So far I have not experienced any pain relief, early days yet.

I have looked at quite a few of the studies which you have linked me to. Bear in mind I am not from a medical background, but I was expecting to read far more positive results to be fair. Pain levels decreased by 30% were mentioned as to were cartilage regrowth of 0.18mm and so on. Are these what seem to me as small improvements, regarded as great improvements in the medical world?

My impression is I should repeat the therapy in 6 months time for a further 5 hours in order to top up, would you regard this as a good idea?

As soon as I get the radiologists report of my MRI, I will let you know what is says in order to give you a clear outline of my joint problem.

Watch this space...
  • frogmorton
    Hi sturge

As you know I have been watching your thread with interest.

So the treatment is finished today. You have done well so far - I really hope the MRI shows some improvement.

Best wishes

Toni xx
  • sturge8
    Sorry Toni, maybe I didn't make myself very clear, the MRI was taken prior to the treatment. The purpose of supplying annclare my report, was so she can have a good understanding of my damaged joints.
  • frogmorton
    sturge8 wrote:
    Sorry Toni, maybe I didn't make myself very clear, the MRI was taken prior to the treatment. The purpose of supplying annclare my report, was so she can have a good understanding of my damaged joints.

Oops! :oops: I thought it was one to show any regrowth :oops:
  • annclare
    It is very important to exercise the areas being treated and it is important to drink water during and after the treatment. MBST works well with the exercises to support. Stiffness and limitation of movement has to be gradually cleared.

Please send me your email address then I will pass on exercises that will help.

On average 80% of improvement is expected during the first 10 weeks.

By 6 Months better, if not well before.

I advise top ups a year later from the treatment times.

The amount of cartilage growth by medical terms is great because holes can be filled and particular cartilage covering all bone in a joint will be smoothed out.

The pain relief will happen at any time, just wait and see. Please do not overdo things at the moment, cycling is excellent at this stage, in the gym...biking.

As the weeks pass by be more active, walking is a good exercise.

I am always available to help. I have used MBST for nearly 4 years with 90% success and a few who have not received complete relief are leading an active life with medication care.
  • sturge8
    Hi Annclare, I will pm you my private email address. I look forward to your response and thank you for taking the time to personally help me. I can not thank you enough.
  • sturge8
    Its been 3 weeks since my MBST therapy. I have not experienced any noticeable pain relief yet in my toe or ankle, but like Annclare says it does take time to feel the benefits, so maybe it is too early to write it off yet. I have interestingly recently received my MRI findings from my consultant, which inform me that I have a ganglion in my sinus tarsi as well as OA change in my ankle joint. So my consultant has booked me in for surgery. He suggests that removing the ganglion may reduce my pain levels. He also is going to perform an Austin Youngswick osteomny on my 1st met to correct the bunion deformity. I feel that I have made it difficult for myself to figure out if MBST therapy has helped me, as I seem to have other joint pain contributing factors such as a bunion and a ganglion. At this stage I don't really know for sure what levels my OA pain is. Maybe after the ganglion and the bunion have been removed I may then feel the benefits of MBST. I also am contemplating repeating the MBST therapy next year in order to give it a fair testing. Annclare I'll PM you the report in full.
  • frogmorton
    Hi Sturge

thnaks for letting us know how things are.

It does sound to have been bad timing for you doesn't it? I hope taht the surgery you are needing can happen sooner rather than later.

I would probably feel the same as you as regards the MBST therapy. You may not have given it a fair test.

Good luck

Toni x
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Hi sturge,
    I have just read you posts with much interest, i have not heard of this therapy before. It is a shame you may not notice any benefits due to your other problems, but hey anything is worth a go!
    I hope your surgery goes well and that after you do notice some pain relief due to the therapy,
    wishing you all the best,
    seamonkey