Hi I'm new to this - ankle replacement?

jodie1
jodie1 Member Posts: 10
edited 14. Apr 2011, 07:47 in Say Hello Archive
Hello anyone out there whose had a replacement ankle joint, through worn out cartledge, I'm having one soon and I'm scared stiff!

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I haven't had a replacement as I need at least 35 new joints (I don't think it's possible :smile: ) but I can understand your fear. Focus on the positive: greatly reduced pain, and greatly enhanced mobility. Modern anaesthetics are wonderful, you won't feel a thing during, you may feel a little ropey after but I am sure proper pain relief will be to hand (usually a morphine drip, well that's what I had after two open knee synovectomies and an ovary extraction - 3 separate ops, not all at the same time!) and you should be well-cared for whilst in hospital. The recuperation may take some time, and the relief may not be immediate, but that goal . . . . . greatly reduced pain, greatly enhanced mobility - make that your mantra! I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Jodie, just wanted to welcome you to the site.. I haven't had that op but there will probably be a few that have.. Try posting questions on the living with section, hopefully someone will pop along to give advice..
    Best wishes and hope to catch you around the forum, we are all here to support each other

Be well

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • jodie1
    jodie1 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you so much deamdaisy and tjt6768 for your encouragement, it helps! I will be more positive!
    Take care.
  • rayfrew1
    rayfrew1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, Im new and this is my first posting. I'm awaiting a hip-resurfacing op for initially one hip but now two. In the longer run this will develop to the requirement of two full THR's. I'm also worried, but I'd only suggest you think back to how your life was before requiring this op; the things you could do to enjoy life compared to what you suffer now. You may well be back to an enjoyable lifestyle shortly!