Update..

Lauren.-321
Lauren.-321 Member Posts: 41
edited 31. Mar 2011, 11:37 in Young people's community
Hi, I thought I'd post a wee update on my situation atm.

After I had read about on the internet regarding JIA (I'm only 15) I didn't think there was much of a chance that I did have it as the pain is almost exclusively in my knees, and otherwise in my hips probably referred from my knees. And also the doctor said its probably not.. Also, I wasn't experiencing much inflammation.

However, I have been noticing again more swelling, on my fingers and toes for example, even though they aren't sore and not very stiff? Has anyone experienced this?

I also noticed that at gymnastics after 20 mins or so the pain in my knees dulls down to almost nothing (biting back when I jump from a height or such) but when I leave the gym and onto the hard floor they hurt again almost instantly! Where PE always hurts a lot more when it's only for a fraction of the time?

Also, my orthopaedic phisio appointment is on Tuesday. My gymnastics coach, also a sports therapist, has told me to make him write down what he thinks it is. This is because she believes that physiotherapists will try and pass you off with a couple of exercise but not actually help fix the problem of a muscle in spasm for example. Her complete lack of trust in all physiotherapists ended my optimism for the appointment.

Anyway, thanks,
Lauren xx
Lauren 8)

Comments

• jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Lauren,

Are you keeping a diary of any swellings or if you get soreness other than your knees? might be good to keep a record of when you get sore knees and when you have swollen fingers and toes. could link to certain times of day or certain activities if you write it all down. I get knee pain when i walk barefoot on hard surfaces, i tend to wear running shoes when i am exercising or walking a long distance because they have really good supports in them. I did have some shoe inserts made but found them really uncomfortable! Its possible that the pain is worse in PE because its a different type of movement and possibly puts more strain on your knees (i'm not a doctor tho so am speculating here!)
    I know its difficult to attend appointments with an open mind, and its probably right that you should try and get confirmation of a diagnosis but do try and give the ortho physio a chance. They havent tried to palm you off with just exercises (yet) and will more than likely do all they can to help.

Just wanted to restore a bit of faith before your appointment! lots of luck and do share your expereince when you have had your appt.

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • clare_l_allen
    clare_l_allen Member Posts: 10
    Hi Lauren,

I agree with Jenny that keping a diray of your symptoms will help you to feel a bit more in control and also be useful for your doctors and physio.

Let us know how the appointment goes.
    Clare.
    About me:
    I'm nearly 23 and have had RA since I was 13. I take Enbrel and Methotrexate.
    I volunteer for Arthritis Care's Young People's Project in the South of England.
    I like cafes, coffee and cake.
  • Lauren.-321
    Hi Jenny and Clare, thanks for the advice:

I'm not keeping a diary as such but I'll do that! I think the problem in pe is that 1) It's on a hard floor and 2) I'm only wearing converse and vans which are both very flat.

I will be sure to go in with an open mind but I think I'll get nervous and end up hardly telling him anything :oops: I'm not the sort of person to get nervous, exams don't even tend to phase me, but I'm never ill so I'm really not used to doctors!

But I'm happy that I have my gymnastics coach t help me 'cause she knows her stuff.

Thanks,
    Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • clare_l_allen
    clare_l_allen Member Posts: 10
    Hi Lauren,

I did lots of sports when I was at school and found that really good supportive trainers designed for sports (so Nike, Addidas etc..) work best although if you like Vans and Converse I appreciate you probably won't want to wear them. I also used to wear sorbothane insoles in my trainers which are really good shock absorbers.

And, although they're not overly attractive either, knee supports helped when I really wanted to play a Netball match if my knees where playing up.

p. s. If you write it all down the nerves won't matter - just give your doc the piece of paper.
    Clare.
    About me:
    I'm nearly 23 and have had RA since I was 13. I take Enbrel and Methotrexate.
    I volunteer for Arthritis Care's Young People's Project in the South of England.
    I like cafes, coffee and cake.
  • Lauren.-321
    Hi Clare,

I do have propper gym trainers but there a pain to carry about. I usually wear the shoes I wear to school, converse or vans, to PE. I only have a couple of months and then I'll never have to do PE again!

I've never saw anyone apart from my GP but the phisio may recommend knee supports. Do they help?

And yea, I'll write down everything for him so I don't woose out.

Thanks,
    Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)
  • loopylou94
    loopylou94 Member Posts: 24
    Hey,
    Ive tried knee supports and they do help a bit but they may work wonders for you as everyone is different. hope they help.
    xxxx
    loopy lou :)
  • Lauren.-321
    Hello,

I've been to the phisio and he's put all my problems and all the swelling down to laxed ligaments. He said not to go down the route of knee supports but to instead strengthen up the muscles around my knee to do the job.

Thanks,
    Lauren xx
    Lauren 8)