methotrexate

loren
loren Member Posts: 20
edited 6. Nov 2012, 13:51 in Young people's community
What effects does this have on people.
i had it when i was 7 but i hardly remember and now they are talking about putting me back on it but mum said i used to be really weepy.
also i am petrified of needles :\

Comments

• stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Loren,
    I'm Stephanie, I'm 18 and had Arthritis since I was 4.
    I also used methotrexate when I was younger and when I started it again a couple of years ago I couldn't remember how I felt on it.
    I take mine by tablets, and as long as I take my folic acid I don't suffer with any sickness or other side effects that other people do. Although my hair has got a bit thinner and tends to shed more then usual. It sounds really bad but it's not because no one notices except me!
    Everyone reacts differently but if you do start it again and find you aren't feeling great, you can always speak to your doctor about taking something else.

Hope this may have helped,
    Stephanie
    X
  • cathhankin
    cathhankin Member Posts: 28
    Hi,
    I took methotrexate from when i was 15 up until last year when i was 23.
    In complete honesty i hated having the drug.
    I personally did not feel any benefit, but my bloods said different.
    At first my dad had to inject me. I got upset when he did it, and so did he.
    Then the nurses decided i had to learn to do it myself. I didnt cope well with this. just the sight of the injection made me want to be sick.
    However when i eventually did have the injection, i had the horrible side effects of feeling sick, headaches, terribly grumpy and this lastest 2-3 days. the whole idea of having the injection was horrible.
    I have recenlty become allergic to mtx and thankfully had to come off it and am now on leflunomide which i get no side effects from and am 100% feeling the benefits :)
    x x
  • illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    My daughter is 5 and has been on ita year. She gets the odd belly aches but she's the opposite in the hair department, it's growing everywhere :o she's become very hairy not sure if it's a combination of being on Enbrel as well. She gets very tired, emotional and anything can set her off crying. But I can see the benefits from it, she has just stopped crying at having the injections and bloods being taken such a change from screaming and fighting.

I hope going back on it does something for you hugs.

Michelle xxx
  • loren
    Thank youuu to all.
    not looking forward to it with a phobia of needles and im not allowed tablets :(
    Grrrrr arthritis sucks x
  • loopylou94
    loopylou94 Member Posts: 24
    Hey im going on methotrexate and i was wondering do you take folic acid the day before or the day after you have taken the methotrexate. :smile: x
    loopy lou :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi loopy, I am on injected meth and I was told to take the FA two days after, so I do. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • loopylou94
    loopylou94 Member Posts: 24
    thanx i asked the gp and got it all sorted hope you are well xxx
    loopy lou :)
  • loren
    i start these tomorrow now but cause im younger i dont have to take FA but im still so scared :\
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Loren,

Please try not to be scared, am i right in thinking that today is your first meth injection? was a bit confused by the feed, but then again its saturday and my brain tends to switch off at the weekend. The needle can seem very daunting, but having had the oral version of meth i have to say i whole heartedly prefer it, the tablets really upset my tummy!
    Just relax and remember that with the new drug perhaps starts new possibility - this could potentially change your life if the medication does its job. i know its different for everyone, but if you try and think about the positive effects that it could have on your life as you know it, the needle will seem so insignificant.
    good luck and let me know how you get on. (got everything crossed for you!)

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • loren
    Ive started it. and all i eat is chips talk about loss of appetite which isnt to good but oh well. The doctor was nice to me and let me start on tablets for now and giving me counselling for needles because i have got to start injecting me with new treatment for the arthritis in my back :/ well we shall see how it goes.
  • jennylynn
    jennylynn Member Posts: 101
    Well done Loren!

You should feel very proud of yourself! The tablets can play havoc with your tummy to begin with cant they? persevere with it and i promise it will get easier! congrats on getting the therapy for your needle phobia - all steps in the right direction.

great news, thanks for the update! let me know when you start your injections. Sure once you get the hang of it there will be no stopping you!

Jennyx
    Jennyx

kittens.jpg?1295453358
  • loren
    I went onto the injection for methotrexate but they rant working anymore! I've got to start on a drug called humira or something :/
  • elishapearcex
    elishapearcex Member Posts: 48
    i also take methotrexate as a tablet and then the folic acid and it works very well and as someone said everyone feels different with it and not everyone gets sides affects and when i take it i just feel sleepy.
    live life to the full and done let anything bring you down!!!!
  • joziexo
    joziexo Member Posts: 13
    hello :)
    Im 18 and had rheumatoid arthritis for about five years now.
    I've been on methotrexate for almost all that time. I take six a week, on a monday and folic acid on a friday. an easy way i remember this is Methotrexate monday, and folic acid friday! haha.
    It calmed down my arthritis quite a bit. It did make me slightly sick though. I did ignore advice when i first went on to it and drank alchohol which probably didnt help.. but then im young! I would say though, personaly id rather feel the slight sickness that i did rather having my body in pain all the time. Now iv calmed my lifestyle down methotrexate doesnt make me ill. The different stuff we can get put on has different effects to everyone i guess but i wouldnt be without it (:
    Jo x
  • katieaitch
    katieaitch Member Posts: 5
    loren wrote:
    What effects does this have on people.
    i had it when i was 7 but i hardly remember and now they are talking about putting me back on it but mum said i used to be really weepy.
    also i am petrified of needles :\

i know how you feel! i still have injections (methatrexate) and i cry soooo much everytime. i am about to have one in 5 mins and i am about to cry! i know i sound like a baby and i probably am but it is so hard handling this isnt it? :( my brother and sister are horrible! they say that i used to pretend and that im a crybabyy and that makes me cry more. i never faked it! please someone tell them that it is true that i couldnt walk or get out of bed. i hate th injections. and i hate the fact my mum does them!
    gtg now. injection time :( :!: :mrgreen:
  • katieaitch
    katieaitch Member Posts: 5
    loopylou94 wrote:
    Hey im going on methotrexate and i was wondering do you take folic acid the day before or the day after you have taken the methotrexate. :smile: x

heey i have it every day xxx it makes me sad the injection and all the meds xxxx