Big Fat Gypsy Weddings

Options
alanthemanc
alanthemanc Bots Posts: 512
edited 2. Mar 2011, 10:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
Did you watch the series, it got massive viewing figures. I felt a bit sorry for the women cleaning those caravans every day.
Those wedding cakes are something else, not a bad programme.
I felt sorry for that dress maker. when she booked all those flights, only to be told the wedding wasn't going to happen on that date, she looked very p....d off.
All in all, very watchable, just shows you the attitude of the British though, if your not living in Surbiton, in a semi detached house, with a Ford Focus on the driveway, your treated like a pariah. Alanthemanc

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    might watch it if they paid they're poll tax :roll: :shock: :eek: :???: :lol::lol::wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    I thought it was entertaining, although they concentrated on the good side of them, because they were living in official campsites it looked quite clean and tidy.
    I suppose they don't conform with what the average Joe Bloggs on the street does, so we have a certain perception of them.
    I don't know any Gypsy / travellers, so , if you don't know any of them, how can we really trash their lifestyle, because they are different.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    What is the difference between a New Age Traveller ( do you remember them), and a Gypsy.
    Probably, one is middle class English University drop out type, the other, lower class, but living the same lifestyle.............. no difference to me.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    You wanna see how the behave round here when they turn up rkid, lol...
    Now don't get me wrong, not saying they're all the same... Just the ones we've experienced round here, haha...
    :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    tjt6768
    The ones in the prog, were sort of official site ones, so the Gypsy s that your talking about seem the roaming about ones.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    They're bloody hands certainly roam rkid :shock: :shock: :lol:
    I saw some of the first series actually... Mum was telling me about them messing that dress maker about, I know all of them go to her so I reckon the ones that messed her about will be getting a bit of a telling off cos she's very well respected by them eh?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • maggiemay
    maggiemay Member Posts: 122
    Options
    In my last job here in N.Ireland in security, I came acroos the travellers as they were going on to the boats for the mainland.
    When I first came in contact with them, they had great distaine for myself although I never took it personaly, through time they did start to become a bit more enjoyable to meet.
    Through time they started to open up and have more of a conversation. But like many other people we had an opinion about them and their mannerisms.

The ones I started to get to know, paid their dues in every sense.
    But in my opinion Live and let live.

You cant give all the Gypsys, travellers, a bad name just because some of them are really rotten apples in the apple cart.
    But that is my opinion and like to read other postings concerning this subject.
    Regards
    Mags
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Alan

My lucy (13) adored thsi program and watched it religioulsy!!

Now I quite enjoyed the ones I saw (was at bathtime!)

only one problem......

She wants one of those dresses for HER wedding!!!!!!

Maybe the hungarian Gypsy in my past lives on eh?!

Love

toni xxt5503.gif

....better start saving eh? :roll:
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Gypsy/travellers are the same as any other group of people, some are 'good' and some are bad. Live and let live. Other groups of people have the same some pay thier dues and some dont.
    Seamonkey
  • tjt6768
    Options
    I think that he's had a sex change.... Lol
    Either that or Mrs Lawson has hacked into his account..
    :lol::lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I think that he's had a sex change.... Lol
    Either that or Mrs Lawson has hacked into his account..
    :lol::lol:

Nothing to do with me :!: :shock: On this occasion, I'm entirely innocent :lol:

I did watch some of the series (a frocky horror show) but I thought that the question of how such lavish weddings were paid for was carefully avoided. I see now that the gypsies are suing Channel 4 for portraying them in a bad light. Like all these programmes, the producers manipulate the filming to show what they want to make good TV, but I imagine that the gypsies didn't take part for free. Now they appear to be trying to cash in on the programme as much as possible.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    We did watch it and I was agog, where does all the money come from for such lavish weddings? The girls seemed to talk of such high moral standards and codes, then spend their time parading around like hookers, writhing to Shakira and Beyonce, odd to say the least.
    The press have had a field day with it and now the travelers are suing for what, 10 million in damages. Right, don't think that will carry much sway, you make a programme, you run the risk of being hung out to dry by the producers and the public.
    There was a cake that weighed 60 kilos, now, we could use that in our cafe.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • tjt6768
    Options
    It's not just where they get the money from but did they pay their taxes on it :shock: :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    It's not just where they get the money from but did they pay their taxes on it :shock: :lol:

Taxes, what would they be? oh yes, the things we pay every month, silly me.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • tjt6768
    Options
    It's them silly expenses that go towards policing certain folks and also cleaning up messes left by said folks..
    Etc etc..

e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • katknapp
    katknapp Member Posts: 709
    Options
    We watched it too,it was very funny those awful wedding dresses!and where did they get the money to pay for it all,i felt sorry for the young girls having to endure the boys "grabbing" if they had such high morals why did the parents allow the boys to paw the girls like that,we have quite a few gipsy camps around here and theres one near my shop and im sorry but we have had quite a few thefts and its those from the camp 9 times out of 10,perhaps the older ones have pride and morals but the younger ones do not,i have seen the camps and the poor horses the way they are treated it broke my heart,sorry if this offends anyone but you need to see these things with your own eyes, maybe myself and all the other villages have just been unlucky to have the bad apples lol
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    In the area where I live we are plauged by Irish tinkers travellers so I know what these people are like and have had the unfortunate luck of having to deal with them first hand on mre than one occasion so I know of where I speak so no PC liberal is going to change my mind on this issue as I speak the truth on this.
    It's sort of like Jeremy Kyle in a caravan but with much much more violence, well that and a mobile flippin crime wave, you see the urban liberls defending them which is nice and PC but they have the morality of distance, it is us in the villages who have the problem to deal with, sadly I have never come across a nice one although there maybe some out there not sure where though, if they travelled round in horse drawn caravans and sold whittled pegs and sharpend the odd knife and told fortunes then it would be so idilic and nice but it's not like that here,here it's the real world and that's not a nice place to have to live especially if you upset them in anyway. The Police here don't want to deal with them so wont come out if you have a problem with a camp or group, unless there is violence then then come in mob handed fortheir own safety.
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    YOUV'E CONVINCED ME..... IV'E CHANGED MY MIND....
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Mell has mind control powers Alan, no use in fighting it, lol..

That, and the fact he's right..... :lol::lol:

Hope you're well Rkid
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • alanthemanc
    Options
    Del
    Once again youve convinced me.... iv'e changed my mind
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Post deleted by Moderator. This post breaks the first house rule
    1. Please respect other users and do not break the law. This means no abusive, threatening, libellous or obscene messages, or messages that may otherwise be considered offensive.

YEH
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Post deleted by Moderator. This post breaks the forst house rule
    1. Please respect other users and do not break the law. This means no abusive, threatening, libellous or obscene messages, or messages that may otherwise be considered offensive.

YEH
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • need me bed
    need me bed Member Posts: 103
    Options
    nice one T,

I met one in town who was trying to sell me 'lucky heather' .. If it was 'that' lucky wtf happened to her????? :eek:

Another one tried to sell me a dragons dropping (glass bead) to put in my purse as she said if i bought it off her then ' my purse would never be empty'!! How thick did she think i was fer heaven sake.... of course my purse would never be empty it had a dragon dropping in it.. :lol:

Life is like a box of chocolate, I always get left with the nuts.
    f055.gif

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Post deleted by Moderator. This post breaks the first house rule

YEH
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    I once worked behind the bar in a leisure centre, i was just 18 at the time and the only member of bar staff on, gypsys from camp up the road came in and got progressively more roudy as night wore on, the centres manager left me to it and called the police who were taking their time as they wouldnt come untill back ups came and they all needed riot gear on!! theres me 18 and in a room where the police wouldnt go. I ended up persuading the men to leave of thier own accord before the police got there. I was fine but very annoyed that manager had just left me to it. I had no family to go home to and rented my own house. Thing is i still dont see everyone in the same light. Each person is an individual. And should be treated as such untill proved otherwise. Only my thoughts, i know many feel strongly against this group of people, my dad included.