fibromyalgia and oa

sandy70
sandy70 Member Posts: 4
edited 1. Mar 2011, 04:32 in Say Hello Archive
hi every one
im new to this, i have been told i have had oa for a few years which i knew and acceppted im only 41, but have finally got to see a doc at the hospital yesterday and he hinted at fibromyalgia as well, they have taken bloods but what scared me was he asked if i had any lumps which i havnt,
i havnt been able to work for 8 months now and in constant pain, im just so down in the dumps as i use to be fit and healthy now i struggle around like a little old lady as my daughter kindly puts it (she is 13),
i feel fustrated that i have had to push to see a hospital doc as all my own gp has done is fob me off with painkillers and prozac, when i looked up fibromyalgia when i got home it ticked all the boxes with what i have been suffering from for years, :sad:
i just wanted to know if any one else has gone through this
sandy

Comments

• seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi there,
    And welcome to the forum, i cant help you with the fibro as im not affected but im sure someone will be along soon to offer you advice, support and understanding. Everyone is so kind here and has done wonders for me.
    All the best,
    seamonkey
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Yours is a familiar story, sandy70 - rest assured you are not alone with this, far from it. It would appear that fibro and various forms of arthritis do go hand in hand, for whatever reason, and there is not a great deal to be done about it. It is a topic that crops up repeatedly on LWA (the living with arthritis forum) and many people are struggling with it, just like you. I am not, as yet, but I suspect (in my more Eyeore-ish moments) that it is just a matter of time. I don't think your GP has fobbed you off, there just isn't anything he can offer apart from decent pain relief. Have a look on the other forum and you will see that quite a few others are in the fibro boat with you. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi Sandy

Good to meet you and appologies for the late reply :oops: Welcome to teh forums from me.

My ex MIL has fibro and waws actually rather releived once she got the diagnosis as she felt vindicated....theer really was something wrong :???:

It is scary to add another diagnosis to the OA one, but at the end of the day you have probably had it a while already and at least you can get help now with it.

LOve

toni xx
  • sandy70
    thankyou all for a warm welcome, i feel better now im finally finding out what is wrong, got a docs appointment later to day to see why im pilling the weight on ive jumped from a 16 to a 20 in a few months so hoping i will get an answer, and i did give up the choc bars last november lol
    sxx
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    You are more than welcome to join me in my battle to lose weight. I have put on alot in such a short time. Think its a combination of being so imobile and still eating the same amounts.
    I hope your doctors apt went ok and you found some answers.
    All the best
    seamonkey
  • sandy70
    well got some more answers from my gp he said it was due to my drugs, my metaberlisum has slowed and water retension, well i have had a dry mouth and been drinking a lot of coffee and tea, so i will try to get a bit more exercise in which i mustnt over do, well i have tried my wi fit but that knackered my arms lol. its a hard thing to adapt to, kill the pain but the side effects is weight gain, i will live in hope i can try to slow the weight gain before my wedding in august ( my poor dress is 3 sizes too small at mo ) :eek: but looking at the bigger picture i would rather be bigger and have decent pain control than being stiff and in agony
    sxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Drinking too much tea and coffee is far from good - caffeine is the greatest addiction problem in the western world. Drink more water, that will help the retention and your organs, the caffeine will just hype up your nerves and heart rate and you don't need that!

A Wii is a great way to exercise as long as you do a little and often and don't go great guns at it. The weight gain is a side effect of many meds, like you I was a 16, I am now a 22 (mainly due to the steroids, I think). It's just another factor of the health juggling that we have to do re the meds and arthritis but it doesn't help us psychologically. Umm, I have to go, I'll come back if I think of anything else. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben