Poorly pooch

katekelly
katekelly Member Posts: 975
edited 28. Feb 2011, 16:24 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi Folks,

I'm sad to say that my beloved pooch Jelly (believe me you can'y make any jokes about her name that I haven't already heard ...Jelly Kelly is a cool name ok!) is very poorly.

She has been having nose bleeds for the last couple of months. We have of course taken her to the vets but all they said was it was a weakened blood vessel. Well last thursday it was really bad, three bleeds in one day and she didn't know what was going on bless her. So once again we were back at the vets. The long and the short of it is she has a growth they think its in her nasal cavity and a small mass is now growing in front of her eye. She was given a steroid shot and she has to go back to the vets on monday to have an xray. We were not given much hope as to an outcome and we are preparing ourselves for the worst. We (OH and I) have decided that if it is bad news that we will not let her suffer but the thing is how do we explain it to our 8 year old? She has always been close to Jelly and has never known life without her.

Any advice as to how we handle this will be gratefully received .

Thanks

Love Kate x

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Kate I am sorry to read your bad news. I can only suggest you explain how you cannot let Jelly suffer and it wouldn't be fair to prolong her discomfort.Its not going to be easy for any of you as we love our pets and they are part of the family.
    But let us hope things aren't that bad.
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Hi Kate
    Oh dear I am so sorry that Jelly is poorly, I have lost two dogs one aged 14 and one aged 17, the little pooch I now have is 12.
    Losing someone from your family is always difficult. If it comes to the worst you will just have to tell your little one the truth, it will be a learning curve and help her to deal with losses that she will have to face in the future.
    Its sad but true that death is part of life.
    hoping its all ok for you
    Cath
  • maggiemay
    maggiemay Member Posts: 122
    Oh Kate
    Im so sorry to hear about your dog Jelly, it is best to tell your daughter the truth as to why Jelly, may be taken from you, Children can be very understanding about things more than we give them credit for.

But if the worst comes to fore, let the child say her goodbyes to Jelly before she leaves the house, as i find that also helps them grieve, hope that helps a bit.
    Big Hugs ((((((X)))))) to you all tonight.

Regards
    Mags

Please post on how she is doing
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi hun, really sorry to hear this.... You probably know how much we can sympathise with you all.
    As you said, we cannot and should not let our pets suffer at all, it is a very hard thing to have to do, Cleo on the whole looked absolutely fine when laying down, you couldn't tell there was anything wrong with her, but she'd only to move and she was in pain bless her.. It took some doing but I did hold her in my arms while she feel asleep.
    I know it was the right thing to do..

I would agree with our dear Tinks though, you have to be honest. It won't be easy I know..

You really have our sympathy hun...
    Stay strong..
    :wink:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Hi Kate

I'm so sorry to hear about Jelly, and I can only add my sympathy. I agree with others on here that it is always best to be honest with children, difficult as that can be. Learning to accept death is part of growing up, although we would all like to shield our children from it. My thoughts are with you.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    I am so sorry to hear that your dog is poorly.....but wait and see what they say first. Who knows it may not be that bad. As to your daughter i would be truthful about what has happened and explain that she is very ill. It is a hard thing for a child to learn but it is a fact of life. (This is why we use to have hamsters for our children when they were smaller to teach them that animals that we love do die..). Please let us know what happens and good luck for Monday. My heart goes out to you at this difficult time and fingers crossed.
    Loads of hugs XXXXXXXXXX
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Oh kate

I am so sorry about Jellybellykelly :sad:

When Eric Cat died two years ago l just told the girls the truth, that he was poorly and that the vet couldn't help him any more :sad:

Lucy would have been about 11 I should think the other two 14.

I am so sorry.

HUGE hugs for you too(((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))

Love

toni xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    You have to be truthful: to be anything but is a dis-service to your daughter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Kate,

I am so sorry about Jelly. Its one of the hardest to remove and well at best you win a bit longer for them. Once in the nasal cavity they have such a hard time removing the root.... The eye one also can be hard to remove because of the eyes nerves and blood supply....

Its such a hard choice for you both to make. Fingers tightly crossed it benign......

Kate my heart goes out to you cus I know this one too well. i did go for the op, originally it started by the eye. That was successfully removed but came back slightly over from the original place with in a few months.

Another removal but it then came in the eyes and the nasal passage.... I know things have dramatically moved forward since then ( i lost mine in '94).

I so hope they have a bit of good news for jelly and you.

The kids you have to tell the truth to. They will be heartbroken but its better to be honest with them

So hoping its not bad news for you. ((( ))) and so so many hopes. Cris x
  • mirabella
    mirabella Member Posts: 272
    Really sorry to hear about Jelly,had a dog with similar problems,Bozwell,ashton.ward,was his name,BOZY,for short,loved him too bits,he lived in my pocket,so to speak,just basically never left my side.He suddenly developed a nose bleed that would not stop.He hemmiraged all over the driveway.Vet did an emergency op,found nothing,but this poor dog could not put his head down without bleeding everywhere,so I made the terrible decision and said goodbye.I miss him to this day,he was 14yrs old :sad: Mirabella
  • tonesp
    tonesp Member Posts: 844
    Please Please Don't try to prolong her life if the prognosis is not good.
    We spent nearly £3000 pounds on our beloved Sainz and I think we only prolonged his suffering I really think now that our motive was probably selfish as we loved him so much and did not want to lose him.We now have 2 little rescue dogs but would never make the same mistake again as much as we love them :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Hi Everyone,

Thankyou all for your support you do not know how much it means to me.

Jelly has had her xrays and very sadly it is worse than we first thought. The tumour has eaten away a substantial amount her of nasal cavity. There is also a problem with her chest - even when she had been tubed she was having difficulty breathing. I have just had another call from the Vets and have been told we can pick her up at 2.20 this afternoon - they will go through the xrays with us then.

Hubby doesn't know what to do - I don't know what to do. But if we bring her home we are only doing it for selfish reasons. She hates going to the vets and I just don't want her last memories of us to be dragging her there. If we do decide to let her go we will stay with her as she has always been there for us whenever we were down or poorly.

I must close now as Iam crying to much to type.

k
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Kate

I read your post and it is sad for you and your family....I guess you know the right thing is to let Jelly go before the suffering gets too much......
    Im no expert on this having only ever owned tortoises ages ago but if it were me I think Id have a really good few days with Jelly, spoil her/him rotten and then when the time is right go to the vets and do what you have to do.
    My sister lost her dog Barney a few months ago but it was a shame, she didnt particularly like him, but he was a lovely patient loving dog..His legs had gone in the end though and he couldnt even stand for any time at all and couldnt even get comfy in his basket....In the end my niece's husband Darren took him to the vets and though he said Barney yelped a bit when they injected him, he passed over very peacefully and even though it wasnt Darren's dog he was upset too...I admired him for doing what nobody else wanted to do....
    If Jelly knows he/she is loved then youve done all you can do...

Elainex
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Kate

I am so very very sorry.

I asked the vet what to do for Eric and took his advice. I have to say it is one of the saddest days of your life having to actually decide what day the animal, who has loved YOU for the whole of his life dies :sad:

I will be thinking of you and know you will make the right decision - you will know in your heart what to do.

Love and hugs

toni xx
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    I am so sorry but you have done the right thing. Loads of hugs XXXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Dear Kate,

It's not going to be easy but is clear he can only get worse. Just prepare your little girl -that it is a peaceful sleep. It might be kinder for Jelly to be at home as he is so fearful of the vets if that is possible.Could you bury him in the garden too or would that be too much to bare.

E x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Dear Kate
    I have only just seen this post, I am sorry.
    I am also very sorry that the news you had was not good, that jelly was more poorly than you thought.
    Just want to send you and your family hugs (((((((((())))))))))
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    I'd think I'd go to another vet for a second opinion myself.