advice please re hands

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 28. Feb 2011, 08:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have been having problems with my hands/fingers for a few months now. On and off. i have tried to get a GP appointment but can`t be seen til next tuesday so i thought I`d ask if anyone here has any ideas.
On both hands I have been getting pain arounds knuckles/joints especially if trying to do something like, for example use pepper grinder (yesterday) and ouch! really painful and couldn`t grip. Sometimes I get a small bruise like a burst blood vessel, but not always.
At the moment its my right hand that is playing up and I am not able to grip as well as usual, but when it is my left hand I struggle changing gear in the car and have to hold the gear stick awkwardly. Sometimes its ok and I have no real problem but then just when I feel ok, it flares again, often in a different joint in the hand/finger.
Any ideas?
NB

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi NB
    I can totally sympathise, I too suffer with my hands all fingers bar my little finger on my right hand, and both thumb joints. I wear support straps all the time and I have splints for night time and when resting which do help. But my idea of heaven is when my physio books me in for an hours hot wax treatment...bliss! I go to the hand clinic at Mount Vernon every 2 - 3 weeks, if hands due to my PA seems to be flaring however I can't have hot wax, we just use my resting splints and try to see how much range I have.
    Can you ask your Rheumy or nurse to refer you to physio? In my case it has helped, I'm still sore and swollen and can't grip or even drive because the fingers won't bend to grip - but I'm a lot better than before I saw my physio!.
    Hope that helps? Thinking of you and hoping your hands become less painful soon Poppy X
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi NB
    I wonder if your gp could send you for wax bath treatment for your hands.
    I had this years ago and at the time it did help.

I can hardly use my hands they are now so deformed but I have developed different ways of doing things.

Can you use the palm of your hand to change gear. I used to when I had a manual car.....I now have auto.
    While your fingers are swollen try not to grab tightly ....objects.
    I drive with my wrists resting on the bit of steering wheel that has the horn, using my hands only occasionally. (can hurt wrist but use wrist splint)

I don't get broken blood vessels or bruising like you so what I have said may not help.
    I hope your gp can give you an answer and in the meantime take care
    Juliepf x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi and thanks Julie and Poppy
    I am using warm water to ease things at the moment. I haven`t got a Rheumy as I am OA (hips/back) and haven`t spoken to GP before about hands.So as yet not really sure what I `m dealing with. I do use the palm of my left habd to change gear or a thumb and first finger thing if other fingers sore. I am grateful for any other ideas , the wax bath sounds great!
    NB
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I've stopped going to the doc's, just something else to add to the list. OH has given up asking me to get plates and cups! What can I glue Porthmerion Pottery back together with?

Picking everything up with two hands works well!

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hi NB
    I have OA in multiple joints, years ago I went to my GP because my thumbs were so sore, this went away but I have noticed in the last couple of week they are stiff and slightly painful, I still want to know why OA spreads like this.
    Hope it dosnt get to bad
    Love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    I suppose it all starts to wear out about the same time or the length of time since they were damaged affects all the joints in the same limb?

8) Its a grin, honest!