Sitting at a desk all day - any tips please?

Options
Kirsty1979
Kirsty1979 Member Posts: 30
edited 28. Feb 2011, 15:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

My job requires me to sit at a desk in front of a computer for most of the day. I struggle with seronegative arthritis in both knees and find it really uncomfortable to sit with my knees bent under my desk for any length of time. It eases my discomfort if I stretch my legs out straight but, even though I have an adjustable footstool to rest my feet on, this isn't the most comfortable of of position as it kind of tips my upper body forward.

Besides getting up for lots of little walks throughout the day, I was just wondering if anyone could share any other tips.

Kirsty x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kirsty :smile:

My daughter has a back problem and the pc at her place of work has been adapted so that it closes down every 40 minutes for 10 minutes. In that time she gets up and does some stretches, walks about, or does something else, work related in that time. It is all too difficult to get up every 40 minutes even if you remember but this way, she has no option as she cannot use her pc for 10 minutes.

Unfortunately she often has to attend meeting, some of them back to back and then she sometimes finds it difficult to suddenly get up in the middle of a discussion. :roll:

She also had someone come in and assess her desk etc and there are files etc that have to be moved somewhere else and her phone. She is still waiting for her new chair.

I sympathise with you, it is difficult for you and all those others working in offices who suffer with arthritis and other ailments.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't think there are any easy answers to this. Getting up and moving around is certainly the best thing to do, for the sake of your eyes as much as your joints. I find sitting very uncomfortable as my sacro iliac joints hurt all the time, as do my knees, ankles and toes, so I can empathise with how you feel. I find moving (although painful) the best thing. I am sorry I cannot be any more constructive. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Kirsty
    This must be very uncomfortable for you. I think perhaps the best solution is to walk around for a few minutes as the others have said. I wonder if you rested only one leg at a time and kept the other down on the floor it would help. Your posture may even be better as both legs are not up at the same time.
    Just a thought.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Kirsty
    Sorry I cant help with your question, but it cant be doing you any good, your little walk about will help, I just hope someone can come up with something else.
    Good Luck
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    I have exactly this problem as the majority of the time my job is desk based

I get up an walk about a lot, coffee breaks are a must, wear no shoes in the office....(just makes me more comfortable and its a pretty informal office most days) , change position a lot but it still gets sore more than i'd like, i've got a footrest but i tend to sit in a slightly weird position with my legs propped up on my PC under my desk.....make sure as well as having a footrest that your screen is in the right place/ height to make sure you don't get a bad back

I also keep a wheat bag and a hot water bottle in my desk drawer, along with a stash of pain meds, sweeties and other feel good paraphernalia

I have a wrist rest and a fab vertical mouse too as I do an awful lot of clicking when I draw using CAD , still gets sore but its much better than pre the useful gadgets

sorry i haven't got any more useful suggestions

Chrissie
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi Kirsty, this must be terrible, I find it very difficult to sit at the computer for any more than 10-15 minutes at a time. I am retired, so I can potter as often as I need to, but I do use my wheelchair gel cushion on the dining chair, gel writs rests.
    Lots of arnica gel and everything else that our other lovely members have suggested, including talking to the boss again and letting them know how difficult it can be at times. They might be able to offer some extra support. I hope so, take care, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).