new to you, but long standing oa

misty20
misty20 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Feb 2011, 13:48 in Say Hello Archive
Hi
I'm misty am 66 with 15 years history of various sites of oa, the worst at the moment being my neck around c5,6 I believe. I am not happy seeing my GP, but feel I need some help with pain control, I am on tramadol and and have been given anti depressants, but I am not able to sleep. Please i'll listen to anyone Thanks

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Misty

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to hear about your neck being really problematic. Do you not rate your GP then? Would it be possible to see another doctor? Could you be referred to a pain clinic perhaps? I take amitrytyline not prescribed for OA which I have, but another symptom. This makes me sleep better so it is a double whammy for me! :smile: Do join us on the other forums. Look forward to seeing you posting more.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello misty20, it's nice to meet you. I am afraid I cannot help on the OA side of things (I have PA) but pain is pain, yes? I have a fair number of affected joints and I know how tiring and rough it can make one feel. Are you not happy about seeing your GP because you don't like him or because you think he isn't doing enough to help? I too have trouble sleeping what with one thing and another - is it the pain that is disturbing your sleep or are you generally worrying about things? I think you will find that everyone on here does understand how difficult arthritis can be from time to time and we will do our best to help you through those tricky moments. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi Misty, just wanted to welcome you.. We are a friendly bunch on here so join in whenever/wherever you like.. We won't mind :grin:
    Sorry that you are suffering, as said above though, is it not possible to change your GP?

Best wishes
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    hi misty
    just want to say welcome - i too have OA in most joints put in my neck C5, C6 - i was advised not to sleep flat on my back or on my front but to sleep on my side. i have a memory foam mattress which i find helps alot as it takes the pressure of your joints.

hope to see you around the forum.

Katie x
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Hi Misty
    welcome, I know how you feel I too have terrible neck pain and back pain and find it difficult to sleep. My GP has recently prescribed Amitryptiline for me which does help a little - but not all night. What works for one doesn't always suit another - have you tried a wheat bag? Perhaps if you have issues with your GP you should see another or like the others say ask for a referral for a pain clinic.
    Hope to see you around the site
    Cath