New operation......bit of a guniea pig

joann1
joann1 Member Posts: 263
edited 18. Mar 2011, 19:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya

I've posted this in the chit chat forum and thought i would post it on here to.

I went in to hospital on December the 17th to have some cartledge cells taken from my right knee it was only a day case thing (thank god), they were then grown in a lab over christmas and on the 2nd February I was taken into hospital once again to have the grown cartledge re-implanted into my knee, there is a very technical name for this autologous chondrocyte implant (i think), the operation itself went very well, i'm having physio at the moment which is alot harder than what i thought it would be, they are trying to follow certain protocol as they are finding out themselves what works and what doesnt, i dont think i was quite prepared for the recovery of this as its a slow and sometimes painful process but if thats what it takes to hopefully see great results from this op than im willing to go through it, ( i say that now but dont no how many times ive said im not having me other knee done haha)
I have download some pics so you haave some idea of what the op, scar etc is like
IMG00014-20110206-1140-1-1-1.jpg

Keep ypur fingers crossed that this works as think it will be the way forward if it does

Jo-Ann
Jo-Ann

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jo-ann ... just lost my reply (DURR!) so here it is again (though a bit shorter ..)

I'm glad you reposted on the living thread, I'd probably not have seen this if it was just on chit chat.

YOur scar looks bigger than I would have imagined for the gathering and transplanting - I imagined it would be more keyhole. No wonder the physio is hurting - not only is it exercising the internal workings of your knee - but also pulling and stretching on the recovering skin and soft tissue. What time span/ time frame do they anticipate for the transplant to take and for the knee function to reach optimum? Are you their sole guinea pig or have they got a group of you?

Keep us posted. And good luck with it all.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Jo-Ann

That sounds really interesting and I so hope it works for you. The pictures are small but the scar looks about the same length as a TKR. Physio was hard post TKR too but it is well worth persevering for good results. Please do let us know of your progress. I too am so pleased that you posted on here as well as the CC zone.

I am excited for you and it would be a break through if it is a success.

Keep on, keeping on, :smile:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Good luck with it all - I think this is the better forum for it as CC is supposed to be an arthritis-free zone. People only find out what works by experimenting - I remember the physio after my first and second open synovectomies was very hard, long and painful, but you have a much better goal to aim for: keep us informed about your progress. Do you have OA? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Jo-Ann,

That's incredible and its good you have had this chance cus it very new isn't it? Tis amazing though i am sorry its a bit slower recovery and a bit more painful than you were expecting but it could so be worth it.

Well done for trying this road and will look forward to hearing how its going. Good luck and fingers crossed they have really helped you there. Cris x
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi jo-ann
    Yes I think the scar is longer than I would have expected too.
    I know the physio will be hard, my MIL had a tkr in the summer and exercising was tough, but it paid off in the end. Now you can not tell which knee was done. I think the op you have had is amazing.
    Hope it gets easier soon
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • joann1
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Good luck with it all - I think this is the better forum for it as CC is supposed to be an arthritis-free zone. People only find out what works by experimenting - I remember the physio after my first and second open synovectomies was very hard, long and painful, but you have a much better goal to aim for: keep us informed about your progress. Do you have OA? DD

hiya

yeah i have O/A in bith knees but my right is worse than my left, consultant who i was originally under said that there was nothing more he could do but i wasnt prepared to take that after all im only 31 so he referred me to another consultant who asked what i thought of or had heard of the cartledge reimplantation which i hadnt, he thought that i would be a good candidate to have a go at this even though it had not been trailed or tested on anyone with O/A, so far so good i think haha, just keep plodding on after all i keep thinking im doing this for everyone out there
    Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • joann1
    Hiya everyone

Well been to see the district nurse today and she has took all the plasters and steri-strips off my knee

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzUtMjAxMTAyMjgtMTAzMi5qcGc-1.jpgit looks a very neat scar not that im vain but hey a scars a scar, been to physio and if i can manage to bend my knee to at least 90degrees then i can use the bike in the gym on monday so its all go im tensing my muscles so much i got the inside of my knee sore not sure if its affecting the outside as the nerves havent quite knitted together yet, il keep you all updated on how it goes, there is hope out ther for us if this works.
    Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hi Jo-Ann,
    Well it is wonderful that research is going forward all the time. One thing for sure is that they will be keeping a very good eye on you. :grin:
    Oh I do hope that it settles down soon for you and well done for not giving up and pushing forward.
    Wishing you the best of luck and thank you for the update.
    Lv, Ix
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Jo-ann

Well done you! That knee looks pretty good to me!!

I think yo are doing very well and hope the op is a total success - thsi will help others as well won't it?

Love

toni xx
  • joann1
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Jo-ann

I think yo are doing very well and hope the op is a total success - thsi will help others as well won't it?

Love

toni xx

Yeah hopefully it will help others out, although i have been asking questions today and it looks like this treatment will only be available to people 45 and under which is a real shame
    Jo-Ann
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    joann1 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Jo-ann

Love

toni xx

Yeah hopefully it will help others out, although i have been asking questions today and it looks like this treatment will only be available to people 45 and under which is a real shame

That's me qualifying, lol... Will mention it on monday at the ortho triage appt... He's an extended scope something or other I am seeing, I think it's a physio that has had some kind of extra training or summat..
    :grin::grin:
    I will be very interested in how you go on with it :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • sturge8
    sturge8 Member Posts: 164
    Hi Jo-ann

Can I ask what hospital you went to for the cultured cartilage operation? Was in Oswestry by any chance?
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jo Ann

Only just catching this and how very interesting and well done you. Sorry the physio is tough but you can do it lass. Hope the recovery goes well for you and is an inspiration to others. Take care of yourself.
    Chris
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Hello Joann,

This is yet again a fantastic advancement in medical and surgical pioneering. Lucky you for being chosen, youll do well of that I'm sure :grin:

I was more or less laughed at on the Forum when I said that I'd agreed for bone donation after my hip op in order that it could be cultured for new stem cells to be given to peeps in need :lol:

Well done you :smile: When I have my other hip done anything that will help others will give me great joy :smile:

Oh btw, the Orthopods down here are already up to speed with the procedure :grin:

Cherryx
  • joann1
    cherrybim wrote:
    Hello Joann,

This is yet again a fantastic advancement in medical and surgical pioneering. Lucky you for being chosen, youll do well of that I'm sure :grin:

I was more or less laughed at on the Forum when I said that I'd agreed for bone donation after my hip op in order that it could be cultured for new stem cells to be given to peeps in need :lol:

Well done you :smile: When I have my other hip done anything that will help others will give me great joy :smile:

Oh btw, the Orthopods down here are already up to speed with the procedure :grin:

Cherryx

I no that is what the consultant said that if i didnt have enough cells to culture they would need a donation (at the time he was looking at my partner) who would have been happy to help, but fortunately enough i had enough of my own, thinks its quite a well known and talked about op that i have had done and im sure there are a few people within the uk who have already had this done but it was not recommended for patients with a wide spread of o/a, not to sure why though
    Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    How's the knee tonight?
    Hope it's not too bad for ya..

:grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Morning joann1, how are things going now? I hope all is well. DD
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Hi joann1
    Just been catching up agaain and seen your bigger photo. Well that looks really good.
    Keep up with the exercises you are doing so well.
    Take care
    Juliepf x
  • joann1
    Hiya to you all

Its lovely to be able to log onto here and find that people have sent you messages wishing you well and asking how you are doing, thankyou all so much it makes my day x x

Im doing ok at the min had my INR blood test yesterday the poor nurse tried so hard to get a blood sample but my veins were not playing ball so ended up having to have a finger prick test which gave me the result straight away 2.4 which is great the injections have stopped just have to take my warfarin tablets now (everyday at 6pm) its a wonder you all cant here me rattling, im now at the point where i can look at my scar without feeling slightly wobbly so i managed to give it a good clean yesterday and got a good look at it, i must say Mr O'Brien my consultant has done a great job the scar is so thin im suprised it knitted together haha, it was feeling a little stiff this morning but that sharp wears off just got to keep the excersises up (ouch), got my appt in 2 weeks to see consultant so we will see what he has to say

Hope you are all doing well
    Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • joann1
    Hiya All

Well off to physio this afternoon, got me knee abit sore with trying to strengthen the muscles around me it bit disheartened as still cant bring the leg up on me own arrghhhh, i no its going to take time but think it just getting to me today & keep thinking im ment to be doing more than what i am, but can only try my best :???:

Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • dreamdaisy
    After my first synovectomy they told me I could not leave hospital until I could do the following: lie flat with a small pillow under my operated knee, point my toes, then raise my lower leg by tightening my thigh muscles. I managed this two years after the operation. (They did let me out tho!) Don't get too downhearted, these things can take time. Do all the exercises you are told, gently and carefully, rest in between and let's hope it all improves. DD
  • joann1
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    After my first synovectomy they told me I could not leave hospital until I could do the following: lie flat with a small pillow under my operated knee, point my toes, then raise my lower leg by tightening my thigh muscles. I managed this two years after the operation. (They did let me out tho!) Don't get too downhearted, these things can take time. Do all the exercises you are told, gently and carefully, rest in between and let's hope it all improves. DD

Thanks DD, im trying my hardest with the excersises but to be honest i couldnt do them before i had my operation haha, physio wasnt to bad couldnt manage the bike as my knee wouldnt bent all the way round and was abit sore after going through all the new excersise to, she said that we are a week or two behind with what the consultant would have liked but ike she said everyone is different and this is rehabilitation that is unknown at the moment for this type of op :sad:
    Jo-Ann
  • dreamdaisy
    Everyone is different indeed, you just keep doing what you can, when you can, and rest when you can. How can they plot and chart recovery times when this is so new? Who cares if you are not where Mr Consultant would like you to be? Would he like to be living with what you have? Oddly enough, of the two of you I reckon you have far more grounds for dis-satisfaction. Blow him a metaphorical raspberry then smile sweetly and just keep doing what you can. You will get there, of that I am sure, we just don't know when. DD
  • joann1
    Hiya people

Well had a call from Mr O'Brien's secretary today bringing my appointment with him foward to tuesday, she said he just wants to see me alittle earlier that previously arranged, my partner seems to thing it mite have something to do with the slight complication of the blood clot after having the surgery, think he's abit late to be checking on me now, im pleased actually that it has been brought forward becasue still having the problems that i was having before i had this op, well apart from falling over but think that might have something to do with still being on crutches.

Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann
  • joann1
    Hi to everyone

Just thought i would give you a quick update, been up to hospital today to see the co-ordination team, turned out i wasnt ment to be there, the secretary had put me in for the wrong date was supposed to be another 6wks, but had a word with the main man who is in charge of the whole trial he asked how i was doing and i expressed my concerns about my knee still locking and clicking to which he replied if its still like that in 6wks time we will have to take you back in, great why did i have to open my mouth, still partial weight bearing for another 2wks then full weight bearing for a further 2wks after that then can get rid of the crutches YEAH!!!!! then i can drive, have a fit note for 8wks so looking at the middle of may to be back to work which to be honest wish i was there now as life is quite boring at the moment but it wont be like that forever, been over to work to hand that it my lvly sister said she would take me over so i could get some fresh air, they all seemed so miserable today think its because they are missing me haha, the lovely deputy manager (NOT) took me to one sidde to let me no that my pay has gone down to half pay lovely of them to let me no that at the last minute.

Anyway hope your all doing fine and weather abit better where you are

Jo-Ann
    x x x
    Jo-Ann