Employment Support Allowance

seamonkey
seamonkey Member Posts: 323
Hi all,
Am i right in thinking that if work you did before you were signed off sick isn't suitable anymore that the ESA team can help with retraining and finding different work? If so does any one have any experience of this as this seems like the help i need to get back into work. I dont want to get too excited though. Any one with any experience of this etc i would be grateful to hear from you,
seamonkey

Comments

• RichC
    RichC Member Posts: 260
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hiya Sea Monkey ,
    if you are on ESA and in the Work Related activity Group , then you will be required to attend to make yourself more employable (work related activity). This seems not to be enforced too rigorously at the moment (varies area to area and whether there is a third party "Pathways to Work " provider in place).

If you are in the support group then you can ask for help voluntarily.

There are new programs starting soon for this ... In any case you should have a Disability Employment Adviser/Personal Adviser at the JCP who you can contact for help with regard to this .
    ESA is not about whether you can do your old job , but whether you can do any job.
    Be careful with regard to what stage you decide to start work as many of the back to work benefits are only available to those that have claimed those benefits for a certain period of time.See Disability Alliance website etc:)
    EDIT ... also check out the Direct Gov Disability Pages
    Rich :)
  • seamonkey
    Hi Rich,
    thankyou for your post, i am just eager to provide again, i have only just applied for ESA and have not heard back yet, I am unsure as to whether i could do any job, ive tried a few small hours doing things but it always gets the better of me! I will certainly bear your advice in mind and will look on the web site,
    Thanks again
    Saamonkey
  • RichC
    RichC Member Posts: 260
    No problem Seamonkey , but bear in mind you are claiming ESA for a reason , and that your GP has in effect signed you off of doing work .. so only go back when you are ready .. and bear in mind that when you are ready you are a Job centre advisers dream , someone who is capable and willing to go back to work .
    There is a lot of back to work help out there , just depends on the job market and your health :)
    Best of Luck
    Rich :)
  • seamonkey
    Thanks again rich,
    My doc has been waiting a long long time for me to agree with her signing me off, so you right if she says im not able to work then im not. This time when she issued my sick note she put on it that i couldnt return to work with out her signing me back as last time i sneaked back with out seeing her! Did a shift and completely nackered myself. Im my own worst enemy as my OH always says.
    I just dont want to be written off and just need support and chances to get back into a diffetent job path. There must be something out there i can do with out harming myself.
    Im back seeing her on monday so see what she says this time.
    Seamonkey