Pain without inflammation

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
Hello all at the Helpline team,

I'm not sure if this is your remit but thought I'd ask anyway just incase you can point me in the right direction.

I'm currently responding quite nicely to methotrexate. My blood tests are showing less inflammation and I have no swelling upon examination. I have noticed less swelling too. I saw my rheumatologist yesterday who said people do still experience pain when inflammation has been dampened down. I'm just confused though, how can my joints be tender if they're currently not inflammed? Is there some sort of medical explanation or is it just 'one of those things'?

I'm just a tad frustrated. I don't want to increase my painkillers because they make me very sleepy and I suffer badly with fatigue anyway.

Thank you for reading and as always, for your support.
Sophie :grin:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am in the same (or similar) boat. CRP is less than one, ESR is two and I cannot walk for pain. Well, that's not quite true, I can but it ******* hurts. I suspect it's due to joint damage but who knows? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi sophie,
    Sorry to but in here but im interested in the answer too, as i was told in my MRI that i had no visible signs of inflammation. I couldnt understand this and immediately felt a fraud as i am in so much pain and discomfort that i struggle to walk.
    Im sorry to hear your in pain too sophie and i hope you get your answer here,
    Seamonkey
  • Starburst
    Options
    seamonkey - I understand the feeling of being a fraud. When my rheumy said I have very little inflammation, I felt silly saying my joints were sore.

I know my right ankle pain is due to joint damage but I don't think I have damage in my hands, wrists nor my other foot. So, I was rather curious really.

I never knew arthritis could be so complex!
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    It isnt nice to question what your feeling, i doubt my own mind sometimes! Makes me very paranoid to think others might be thinking im play acting. If only i was!
    Seamonkey
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Sophie,

DD is right in saying that the pain could be due to existing joint damage, also when your body has been inflamed it can cause the soft tissue and muscles to become weaker causing pain.

Experiencing pain without an explanation can be particularly difficult, I hope however it helps knowing that others have experienced something similar and are there to support you. Remember that you can always call us on our free phone confidential helpline for a chat.

I hope that helps
    Best Wishes
    Adele
  • Starburst
    Options
    Thank you for the reply, Adele. That makes sense. It is good to know it's not just me who experiences this, although obviously I wouldn't wish pain upon anyone else!

Thank you again. :)
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    long term inflimation also causes build up of crystals in joint mine around trndons causes me pain lol val
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi

It is true that you can still get pain.

I have been sent for x rays as I have a lot of pain. The x rays showed there was a lot of damage to the bones, as Val said you can build up crystals too.

I hope you feel better soon though

Trish xx
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    hi all

i have OA and told no inflammation but have very painful joints and muscles - and yes the doctor makes me feel like I'm complaining about a little twinge which it definitely is not.

the muscle pain i feel has never been addressed and this is constant hopefully i'll get some answers soon

Katie x