Hello

ruradazzle
ruradazzle Member Posts: 6
edited 19. Mar 2011, 03:33 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, first time forum user ! Frustrated at being unable to control the pain of OA and get my life back. Has anyone heard that your BMI has to be below a certain number before you can have a knee operation ? I was told this yesterday by my Doctor and am totally gobsmacked by it !!
Am I being too sensitive ?

Comments

• caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi and welcome to the forum You will find that we are a friendly bunch on here.
    No not heard about the BMI thing but suspect it is yet another thing to cut costs of surgery in the current cut backs!
    Cath
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I think weight is a factor for many surgeries now, especially joint replacement. I think they prefer people to be thinner to help with anaesthetising, possibly to help the surgeon with the physical side of replacement (it's hard work) and also perhaps to cope better with the rehabilitation: that can take some time. It can be hard to lose weight if one cannot move very well. I think with OA weight loss can help with both pain levels and fitness for surgery, but achieving it is hard. As for controlling the pain well, nothing really does. Pain relief is never 100% or long-lasting. One adjusts over time.

I forgot - welcome to the forum, it's nice to meet you! The LWA is the one for all the meds/treatments/side effects etc questions, the rest are self-explanatory. I hope your day is not going too badly. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi and welcome to the forum..
    We are a friendly bunch on here..
    I do believe as DD said they prefer to operate on an average BMI as it is safer under anesthetic...
    As you GP advised you on how you can reach your BMI target?
    It can be quite hard at times dealing with the pain, we all can sympathise with how you are feeling..
    Wish you well
    Look forward to seeing you around the forum..
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • katie5
    katie5 Member Posts: 242
    just want to say hi.

i'm am OA bod and not been told about BMI although i saw a GP last year about the new pain i was getting in my hands and he told me to keep my weight down to relieve the pressure on my joints - i'm only a size 10! hubby was furious when i told him :lol:

take care

Katie x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Dazzle

Yes I had heard this my sort of FIL had to loose a couple of stone. Something to do with teyh success rate i think, but the immobility can CAUSE the overweight in the first place!!!

Love

toni xx