age/job/gender/income/house status/region/type of arther.

Airwave!
Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
edited 3. Apr 2011, 17:52 in Community Chit-chat archive
I wonder how people with arther manage to live, or are they all more fortunate that the arthers on this forum?

Surely our age/gender/income/house status/region/employment must be of concern? Surely this affects our condition?

How do patients manage their affairs with worry, stress, financial concerns and physical concerns all affecting them?

Does this info exist? arther may be random, but once he's here, how do we all manage?

8) Its a grin, honest!

Comments

• livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    With over 200 types of arthritis, to make generalities is not really possible. Even some of the more common ones, such as RA, have no set reasons to occur. To pin things down to age/gender/etc. simply isn't possible and the figures would fluctuate without giving a set pattern.

While there is a slightly higher chance of contracting arthritis in some cases but nothing specific that can be attributed, I am sure we would all have avoided doing what caused it if possible.
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    . . . . . how do we all manage?

No matter what our age, gender, income, housing, social status there is one answer that applies to everyone: with difficulty. I suspect even the most pampered and wealthy individual would struggle with this disease.

As for avoiding it, Joseph, well I've made sure that no-one else in my branch of my family has it, that was easy enough. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • caterina57
    caterina57 Member Posts: 1,424
    Yes I manage finacially just - I have had to reduce my hours at work due to Arthur and as I live alone its not easy!
    Cath
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Thanks for those replies, money is a sore subject to most, I suspect that we are generally in the lower income groups and supported by our partners where we have them.

I have two younger relatives with similar problems both within arms reach, genetically speaking, and I certainly have some of the problems my father has, making four that started off with the same forebears. My own two youngsters show some early symptoms of problems and share with my sister a common thread. Surely such a cascade of problems over four generations is not unusual?

I bet that if a study was carried on over a number of years a pattern would start to emerge?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I recently found out my paternal grandmother had R.A. They called it rheumatics. She died before I was born and it was only while visiting my Aunt that it was mentioned.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    No family history of arthur but the strange thing is both i and my sister who is 2 years younger have it. Wonder if it is due to stressful lifestyles?
    Financial we nearly lost our house when my hubby got medically retired 10 years ago due to arthur and our income dropped from over £30,000 a year to under £10,000. Had only bought our house 6 months earlier.With help from Veterans agency we managed to get sorted so increasing out income with a disability allowance via army but still well under £20,000 mark. We had four children at home at the time and because we owned our house could claim nothing. Having said that we are OK now...still have our house and supporting two adults....don't ask.
    We have found the more money you have....the more you spend.
    The special food reduction shelves in the supper markets have saved our bacon on many occasion and would recommend to all.
    I consider myself to be lucky i have my family who i love and reasonable health..what more could a girl want.
    (anyone have the winning numbers for the lottery handy!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: )
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Surely it's proven that there is a genetic input to this. That ghastly phrase 'it runs in the family' has a reason behind it: stuff does. I know exactly where mine has come from and it's come to an end with me. There is no need for anyone else's life to be wrecked by this garbage.

There are those whose arthritis strikes from nowhere - it has to begin somewhere though, doesn't it? Genes play up. Life is a lottery and if you go from cradle to grave with good health all the way through then you've won, no matter what your financial success or status. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • psyart
    psyart Member Posts: 600
    I have to say that in my case there is no one in my family past ~ as far as my parents can remember and they are in thier 70's ~ who has the type of arther I have ~ PA and now fibro. But I also have an underactive thyroid ~ which again is not in my family ~ and I firmly believe that my health problems started when this was diagnosed.

Our income has gone down so much over the past 4 years as I have stopped work for the moment and my husband was made redundant about 18months ago ~ luckly he found another job but not so well paid ~ but we survive ~ just. But gone are the holidays abroad and trips out, I only buy clothes that are in the sale ~ might explain why my kids refuse to walk down the street with my anymore ~ not my fault that those bright pink leggins dont go with the yellow jumpers :!:

thankfully my children dont seem to have got my health problems ~ and i hope and pray they dont get it in the future.
    Louise xx
    e050.gifo050.gif
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    . . . . how do we all manage?

because we have no choice!!!!!
    I was diagnosed at 19, it wasn't going to kill me so I just had to get on because what the hell else can I do for the rest of my life

Sometimes its just managing, sometimes its better than that, other times I don't manage but I do have to soldier on as what choice to I have as I've got a fair few more years to go...and nowadays i figure i should make the most of it when I can even if thats not the easiest option

Chrissie
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    . . . . . how do we all manage?

No matter what our age, gender, income, housing, social status there is one answer that applies to everyone: with difficulty. I suspect even the most pampered and wealthy individual would struggle with this disease.

As for avoiding it, Joseph, well I've made sure that no-one else in my branch of my family has it, that was easy enough. DD

I would like to be pampered and wealthy to see what its like. Everyone struggles but if i was well off i could pay someone too
    House work
    drive me places ie hospital
    Hubby would be in his dream place on a farm in the middle of now where i need social network and help at home. I think being well off would help me. But my life would be different not sure if i would like it though
    Joanne