Pain meds

Options
Rallymad
Rallymad Member Posts: 84
edited 3. Apr 2011, 12:17 in Living with Arthritis archive
Been suffering flare up for just about a week now, pains that bad the co-codamol and dihydracodiene aint working, phoned GP and hes giving me tramadol to take with the co-codamol and if that doesnt help am moving up to morphine. Have got flu like symptoms but without the runny nose and snot, just aching all over, cant stand on my feet for any length of time and getting pretty fed up, yet again. Sorry rant over. :sad:

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi sounds bit like a flare try not to push your self to much at min rest when you can hope you get some relief soon val
    val
  • mudie68
    mudie68 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I was on the same medication, being DF118, Co-codamol and Tramadol. Eventually after years of this I saw another Doctor in the same practice; he changed me to Morphine on it's own and I have felt a 100x better. I still have some pain but wow! has my mood and outlook on life changed. No more groggyness & forgetfullness caused by the codeine and tramadol, my advise is go for the morphie. By the way I have had arthritis for over 30 years with severe pain too.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Rallymad

pain is vile and the art to it (I was told!) is to get AHEAD of the pain. This means you keep taking your pain meds regularly. I was told at the time to take the anti-inflams then two hours later the pain meds and so on.

Now I am on patches which are a great help as they take the edge off it all the time. Mine are not morphine patches they are butrans which is synthetic and they have given me my life back as l dont have to constaantl think about what meds and when and have that BURST of medication which used to make me queasy followed by the NEED for them before they are due!

I hope the doc helps you - have you tried a pain clinic??

Love

toni xx
  • Rallymad
    Rallymad Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Yeah been to a pain clinic, they gave me amytriptyline, am now taking 75mg a nite or else I dont get a restful nites sleep, still feel slightly groggy in mornings tho. The tramadol and cocodamol are helping slightly but having to resort to the morphine occasionally. It never rains but it pours, I can understand my GPs reluctance to up my pain meds as there is only so much they can give me, but, I am one of these people that try not to let the disease get me down. Its almost as if its not happening to me and am watching on the outside. Still got lots of damage to do and am not willing to sit on the sidelines and watch whats going on, I work full time and try to 'get on with it', when I can.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    The others have said it all, it really dose sound like a flare, hopefully rest when you can, warm baths before bed.
    Sorry I cant offer more help, I am still in the process of finding the right meds.;I really hope you get some relief very soon
    Good luck and let us know how you are
    Barbara x
    Love
    Barbara
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Options
    Hi
    am sorry to hear your in the middle of a flare. It sounds awfull. you have my sympathy and understanding. Take care, rest plenty and i hope the tramadol work for you. They do for me so fingers xd for you.
    seamonkey
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Rallymad

I like your attitude....still have lots of damage to do :wink:

This does sound like a bad flare and hopefully hopefully soon it will back off a bit and you can get some respite from it...if it doesn't though you take what you need to (so long as you dont overdose of course!!!)

Love

Toni xx