Knuckles

gemz10
gemz10 Member Posts: 41
edited 4. Apr 2011, 14:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello guys

I am just wondering if anyone has had trouble with their knuckles where the seem to have dropped. At my last consultation with the registrar the appointment was over very quickly without me even having time to think of or ask any questions. Basically the registra said there was no inflammation around my knuckles despite the middle and end one of my let hand being seemingly huge and always red. I jokingly sid prehaps the one on my ring finger has dropped then as it is much lower and actulally feels quite flat and is never red. I didnt have time to ask how this is actually possible but I was told it probably has done.

Does any one know if this can happen and why? x

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Gemz

Funny you should mention this - the knuckle at the bottom of my left ring finger looks very much as you describe - only noticed this the other day, but had just assumed that it was because the others are generally slightly swollen and therefore bigger. So, like you, I don't really know which is "normal" but I know I have some joint erosion in my fingers so I don't really take much notice any more!

Presumably you have had x-rays of your hands at some point?

Love Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Gemz

if you dont see anyone in between appoitments l think it should be top of your list for next time you do see the rheumy!!

It's horrible when you feel ignored isn't it?

I know l had initial hand xrays at least i THINK l did so if you did too you could ask for some new ones and a proper explanation for what you can see.

Love

toni xx
  • gemz10
    Hello thank you for your replies

I have been told that I do not have any joint damage and I am pretty sure I had an x-ray ages ago. Not due back to consultant untill another 5 months as she was happy although im not-inflammation in my hand and foot has been contiuous but I am going to see the doctor tomorrow see if I can get some antinflammatries.
    I should also phone my rummy nurse, she did seem quite nice just I dont like to and she hasnt got a direct number but I will so I can ask her for more info.
    It is horrible when u feel ignored and sometimes u just dont think of the questions untill it's too late, but then I wish they would take more time to explain.
    I have hand exercises on thurs so hopefully that will help also :-)

I do hope you are all keeing well I will keep u informed xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Gem

They do sometimes seem to minimise how you feeel don't they? the LIST you have to have the LISt then you can go through it in YOUR order of priority.

Glad you are seeing the doctor and i am sure you will get some anyi-inflamatories and yes I'm sure teh hand exercises will help if they are acreful with you.

Do keep us informed yes please.

love

Toni xx
  • gemz10
    so I went to the doctor today but they wouldnt give me antinflammatries (the consultant mentioned to me they can be safe but gave me no prescription & no refrence in doc letter) as they can cause methotrexate toxicity. I was told the consultant is happy which I know but im not. Doc told me to take painkillers more frequently & that knuckle seems ok no wear & tear!

Suppose im just dissapointed as I often have a slight limp due to pain/inflammation in foot & originally the consultant told me the methotrexate would get rid of the inflammation and gave me the impression that this would get rid of my limp & restore dexterity in my hand. She now is happy but Im dissapointed.

there's still the rummy nure I could try, hand exercises thurs & podiatry!
    will let u guys know how I get on x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I've got problems with my finger joints and wrist. My joints on the fingers are different sizes and when they become inflammed they swell and go red. One finger looks as if its being twisted, sort of as if the tendon is too tight! :shock:
    I have OA and nerve problems as well! OA does get inflammed and go through 'flares' according to my doctor. Not the same as RA flares, but they do still happen.
    Love Suexx
    PS I have braces from the occy therapist, one pair for my wrist & thumb, when thats bad, one for just my wrists when they hurt! They do help, though.
  • gemz10
    Hi
    sorry to hear u also have problems with fingers and wrists. When my joints are bad they are also red and seem larger yet both the doc and consultant say they are not bigger & that there is no inflammation. I told doc today that maybe the redness on sore knuckles gives the illusion that the others are sunken/smaller but I really dont know!
    Glad to hear that u are getting support, so far it is the occupational health that have been most helpful for me as they gave me wrist splints and referred me for hand exercises which are due thurs. I have not needed the splints as my wrists are fine at the moment :-) yay they seem really understanding.

take care xx