yet another newbie

scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 22. Apr 2011, 16:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi all,

I'm another newbie here, I'm an Aussie living permanently in Scotland, although not yet fully diagnosed -- I'm waiting on the test results from hand x-rays and a blood test, although I had already been told that I have arthritis in my right thumb's "pip" joint.

Over the past month or so I have had very sore finger joints and after a two weeks of taking ibuprofen at work just to get by I went to the doctor to find out what's wrong. Things are helped by work being so busy at the moment -- 12 hour shifts of lifting and manual handling ad naseum. The worst part is, this isn't my primary job at work, but when we're as busy as this I have to do it ... and as the senior employee I seem to be expected to work harder than anyone else and set an example, which no one follows ... lol.

Anyway that's enough for now.

Bye
Scozzie

Comments

• Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Scozzie,
    Nice to meet you, although sad you had to join us in our arthritic battle!!!
    I have PA, like RA basically an inflammatory arthritis with very swollen painful fingers, thumbs etc so I know where you're coming from with thumb pain, mine too are in the pip joints.
    Waiting fir a diagnosis is the worst bit, but getting you diagnosed and started on treatment is the positive bit! the earlier you start treatment the better, so make sure you push the drs if you feel you're being ignored.
    Working long shifts with physical work is not ideal for you, you will probably be put on something a little better than ibuprofen for pain and swelling (depending on diagnosis) which should help.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions, and best of luck for your diagnosis, let us know his you get on, all the best xx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hi scozzie, you timed this well didn't you as people living in Scotland now have free prescriptions! :smile: What sort of arthritis do you have? If it's OA then the treatment will be pain dullers and perhaps an anti-inflammatory. Your job sounds physically tough - you could ask for a referral to OT (Occupational Therapy) they may be able to help with some form of hand splint to give your fingers support - this is only a vague idea on my part, I don't know if they could help or not. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Scozzie and welcome from me too! Like the username - very clever :grin:

Hope you get your results soon and can get started on some meds to help you.

Sorry you are struggling so much at work. Have you visited the AC "working matters " forum? You will find lots of support there from others struggling to juggle work and arthritis.

Love Tillyxxx
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi Scozzie,

Sorry that your having these problems, your job sounds hard enough as it is.

Glad you found this forum, you will get good advise and help we all suffer from some type of arthriti or another. I cant really help you as mine is OA, but do keep us informed of your progress.

Look forward to hearing from you again, keep your chin up.

Karen xx
    Karen xx
  • scozzie
    Thanks for the welcome folks, my results should be known later this week, however as I'm on 6.15am to 6.15pm this week there's no chance of seeing my doctor this week and he's on holidays next week followed by my wife and I going on holidays so I won't get to see him until the Thursday before Good Friday in just over a fortnight's time. But I might phone, if I get a chance, this week to see what my results are.

Cheers all
    Scozzie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Welcome to the site from me too..
    Hope that you are ok this evening..

Be well :grin:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Florence500
    Florence500 Member Posts: 46
    Hi Scozzie, welcome to the site, I am also in exile in Scotland, I am English but lived here 16yrs so I suppose I am Scotlish.

:mrgreen:
    187552_622678175_7857000_n.jpg
  • traluvie
    traluvie Member Posts: 2,579
    Hi Scozzie..

Welcome from me too..

Lets hope you get your results soon so you can be treated accordingly..

Let us know how you get on...
    th_tn_TisFORTIGGER.jpgxxTracyxx
  • scozzie
    Hi

Got my blood tests back yesterday and they were "satisfactory". So I suppose that means i don't have RA.

Now I'm just waiting on the x-ray results.

I expect that now means the diagnosis is most likely to be OA.

Oh well just have to see what happens.

Laurie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Hi again.. Not all forms of RA show in the blood. I've got sero-negative, a form of rheumatoid with no positive rheumatoid factor in the bloods.. Or something like that, lol..
    I also have OA, I'm just greedy that way, lol....

Be well.

e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • scozzie
    Thanks Tony, I don't want to be greedy ... just one type of arthritis will be enough. My dad had OA so it's a possibility I may have an hereditry type of OA, so I've been told.
    My hands held up well to the long shifts and constant lifting ... I'm on 12-hours nights for the next couple of days before starting holidays on Wednesday morning ... I volunteered for the shifts so I could start my holidays earlier, plus the type of work I'll be doing is no worse than last week.
    Just a wee note on the shifts, it's amazing three of us, a guy working on the guillotine, a temp (who's never worked in the company or done our type of job before) and myself did almost twice as much last night as five full time staff members did on Friday night! And I can't say I actually worked that hard, and I'm the one with the bad hands ... lol! Friday night's crew are in for a big shock today, because the big boss saw our output compared to Friday nights.

Laurie
  • prefabkid47
    prefabkid47 Member Posts: 1,316
    scozzie wrote:
    Thanks Tony, I don't want to be greedy ... just one type of arthritis will be enough. My dad had OA so it's a possibility I may have an hereditry type of OA, so I've been told.
    My hands held up well to the long shifts and constant lifting ... I'm on 12-hours nights for the next couple of days before starting holidays on Wednesday morning ... I volunteered for the shifts so I could start my holidays earlier, plus the type of work I'll be doing is no worse than last week.
    Just a wee note on the shifts, it's amazing three of us, a guy working on the guillotine, a temp (who's never worked in the company or done our type of job before) and myself did almost twice as much last night as five full time staff members did on Friday night! And I can't say I actually worked that hard, and I'm the one with the bad hands ... lol! Friday night's crew are in for a big shock today, because the big boss saw our output compared to Friday nights.

Laurie

Hi Laurie and welcome to the site.The big boss will be so shocked about the low output of the night crew he will probably have them transported to Van Diemens Land!) :evil

Ron
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy''. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
  • scozzie
    Well I'm now on holidays, my hands held up well to all the work of seven consecutive 12-hour shifts (OK with 48-hour weekend break). However, today my hands, wrists and feet are aching worse than they did all week ... feels like several different toothaches all at once with not a single filling required ... lol.
    And I'm still waiting on my x-ray results after 16 days! Oh well only a week til I see my doctor to see where we go from here.
    Oh well off to the Lake District for some well earned R&R tomorrow for a week.
  • Poppyg1rl
    Poppyg1rl Member Posts: 1,245
    Enjoy the holiday Laurie, try to rest the hands as much as possible though.
    See if you can make a quick call to chase up the X-rays though, 16 days is a bit long to wait!
    All the best Xxx
    'grá agus solas'
    'Love and Light' translated from Irish. X
  • scozzie
    Thanks Poppygirl.
    Well, my wife and I are back from our holiday in the Lake District - wow what scenery! If you haven't been before I would strongly recommend you do ... although if your knees and hips are a problem it might make things a little problematic.
    I finally got my x-ray results back yesterday, whilst seeing my doctor on the follow-up appointment. The x-rays came back showing no sign of arthritis although there was some slight evidence of minor wear and tear.
    I'm being referred to a rheumatologist to further investigate all my soreness, now I just need to wait for the referral to come through.
    Laurie